Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Trailer Tire Question 25 Dec 2019 19:02 #100863

JR wrote: Hey Jeff,
I think any machine shop or anyone with a hydraulic press could get the bow out of that axle.
John
Da. Nevermind just reread your post.

Jeff used the backyard press :biggrin:
“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” Maya Angelou
The following user(s) said Thank You: jmhyatt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trailer Tire Question 25 Dec 2019 17:33 #100860

• JR
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 434
Hey Jeff,
I think any machine shop or anyone with a hydraulic press could get the bow out of that axle.
John
Da. Nevermind just reread your post.
1956 Golden Rocket, 1955 Vagabond, 1957 Crestliner Voyager Hardtop, 1958 Crestliner Jetstreak 15, past boats: 54 Vagabond, 55 Vagabond, 57 Vagabond, 50 FC Flyer, 46 FC Runabout, 57 FC Rocket, 57 Jetstreak

Last edit: by JR.

Trailer Tire Question 25 Dec 2019 15:27 #100859

It was 70 degrees here in Alabama on Christmas eve day. My son turned 16 this year and is inheriting my 10-year-old sedan, which I've been pulling my boat with. So I bought a new car a couple weeks ago - an all-electric Chevy Bolt. One reason I chose it over other hybrids I was looking at, is I felt more confident about pulling my boat with the electric motor than with the CVT transmissions in all the hybrids. The electric motor basically has fixed gearing. The motor runs from 0 to like 8,000 RPM

I put a hitch on the car the weekend after I bought it, and yesterday (a week later), I hitched up my trailer to do some testing. When I pulled the boat out of our gravel driveway onto the street, it was all "whump, whump, whump" as I drove down the street. I drove it slowly around the block a few times to work the flats out of the tires, then pulled it down the interstate to the local airport and back. All went well - a little better than I expected! But now I think you guys have talked me into going out today and jacking up the tires.

BTW, I've also found on my TeeNee trailer with 1" axle, that the axle was bowed when I bought the trailer with my boat. It had been sitting in a warehouse for about 10 years before I bought it. Because of the axle bow, the wheels had an obvious camber - wider on the bottom than on the top. I jacked up the axle in the center and let it sit that way - one wheel off the ground - for a couple weeks, and it appeared to straighten the axle enough to take out about half the camber. Then I called out my son and he and I jumped on the tires with the axle still jacked up, and it bent the axle to get the rest of the camber out of the wheels. (Before doing this, I did take it to a couple of local alignment shops to see if they would straighten it, but they said they don't do trailers. Took it to one trailer maker, who said they would replace the axle for a couple hundred bucks.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

Trailer Tire Question 25 Dec 2019 14:54 #100857

HawkEyes wrote:

JR wrote: My boats have to go into 6 months storage each winter. I always jack up the axle to prevent flat spots in the tires.

JR I do the same thing. I also once a week spin the tires with my foot to keep the bearings moving.

Dang,
You guys are making me feel bad, I can see 4 Feather Crafts from where I'm sitting, they sit there year round, collecting leaves and leaving ruts in the grass from the tires. :hand:
“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” Maya Angelou

Trailer Tire Question 24 Dec 2019 22:28 #100847

JR wrote: My boats have to go into 6 months storage each winter. I always jack up the axle to prevent flat spots in the tires.

JR I do the same thing. I also once a week spin the tires with my foot to keep the bearings moving.
Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II, Merc 400

Trailer Tire Question 24 Dec 2019 13:01 #100837

• JR
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 434
My boats have to go into 6 months storage each winter. I always jack up the axle to prevent flat spots in the tires. Sun accelerates dry rot too. I’m using the 5.4 x 12 .on all my trailers now. They seem to last longer.
1956 Golden Rocket, 1955 Vagabond, 1957 Crestliner Voyager Hardtop, 1958 Crestliner Jetstreak 15, past boats: 54 Vagabond, 55 Vagabond, 57 Vagabond, 50 FC Flyer, 46 FC Runabout, 57 FC Rocket, 57 Jetstreak
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

Trailer Tire Question 24 Dec 2019 01:16 #100826

• Syd
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
  • Thank you received: 33
One of the fastest ways to blow a trailer tire is to have it under inflated. This lets the side walls flex more and builds up more heat. I know someone who took their boat on a trip and blew a tire, he called me about and I said it was most likely under inflated, it just came out of storage I said check them, his reply was they look good, They can be really low on pressure and look good. Later I got another call when he got home and said they all were low. When trailering it is a good idea to also have a spare, right size lug wrench, a jack that fits the trailer and also a spare set of pre packed wheel bearings and the tools to change them. Get in the habit of each time you make a stop of checking the temp of the bearings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scoot, bayoumerc, MercuryMarc

Trailer Tire Question 12 Dec 2019 03:07 #100649

Rob, Since our boats are so light I run 45 pounds of air in my trailer tires.
John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

Trailer Tire Question 12 Dec 2019 01:21 #100648

• BigBadJon
  • BigBadJon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Thank you received: 1434
Maximum pressure. 90 psi on the tires, cold.

Trailer Tire Question 11 Dec 2019 23:35 #100642

Rob. What tire pressure are you running with?
Mike
1950 Skipper on Holsclaw Boat Roadster trailer
1954 Skipper w/ ’54 Johnson 10hp
1954 Deluxe Runabout w/ ’54 Johnson 25hp
1954 Vagabond w/ '57 Johnson 35hp
1955 Alumacraft FD on a Gator trailer
1956 Alumacraft FD

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2217
  • Latest Member:Shootrock
  • Total Posts:96.3k
  • Total Topics:7126
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:1
  • Yesterday Open:2
  • Today Answer:5