Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Speedometers

Speedometers 12 Apr 2019 23:08 #94594

• RickG
  • RickG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 623
OK... I got to thinking about it and went rummaging through the forgotten parts hoard closet. A while ago I bought a beautiful NOS Airguide 0-45, complete with a pickup and stabilizing tube for my Jetstreak (...the dash is too short for one of the Muskegon ones). The hardware pack was unopened, and sure enough there were a couple of the tubing clamp nuts in there. These are aluminum with a 5/16" coarse thread, so a regular brass nut that size would work too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Speedometers 12 Apr 2019 21:31 #94592

• RickG
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
Ray, I'd expect it to work fine with the Keller pickup provided you can get the opening facing as directly into the flow as possible. I've seen lots of those bent that way and always figured that it was done to accommodate the transom angle ...rather than having hit something.
I was surprised at how accurate that one was too given it's range. I did creep up on the top end pretty carefully since it was enough pressure to run my nail gun, and not having a ton of faith in my math ;).
As for the tube nuts, I've not seen many of them. They look a lot like the nuts used on a 1/8" compression fitting if you drilled out the small end some for the tubing, but I haven't been able to find one to see if it'd be the right size. I imagine that a regular brass nut that was just snug on the tube, before it was on the barb, would probably work too.

Last edit: by RickG.

Speedometers 12 Apr 2019 19:12 #94590

Hey Rick,
I got the speedometer back, it looks great!
It's incredible that it calibrated so well, I didn't know any of those could be that accurate.
Will it be accurate with the Keller type pitot? Are they all bent back like this one? If not will this impact the accuracy?
Any idea where I can get a nut like the one on the speedometer?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Ray

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world."
Arthur Schopenhauer

1956 Vagabond I - 50 HP Johnson
1950 Flyer - 50 HP Evinrude
1/2-195something Flash - KG7
1956 Golden Rocket, Sawzall Special

Speedometers 31 Mar 2019 22:24 #94355

• wbeaton
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 221
Beautiful work as always.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RickG

Wayne
Hamilton, ON

1955 Vagabond I w/ 1955 Mercury MK55 50 hp
1957 Ranger III w/ 1957 Evinrude Big Twin 35 hp (sold)

Volunteer for the uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/

This image is hidden for guests.

Speedometers 27 Mar 2019 15:25 #94288

• nsul8r25
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 830
As John (JR) has stated, I too, have one of Ricks speedo's and absolutely love it. Incredible workmanship and am so appreciative for Rick being willing to part with one for me. It is by far the prettiest piece of jewelry my baby has. I have always been a fan of the Muskegon Speedo's and have dreamed about having one.

'58 Vagabond II / '56 Evinrude Lark 30hp
'53 Experimental Flyer / '56 Evinrude Big Twin 30hp
'51 Penguin / '49 Johnson TD20 5hp
'52 Cheif / 1957 Johnson FD11 18hp

Speedometers 26 Mar 2019 23:33 #94278

• jabe
  • Captain
  • Captain
  • Thank you received: 1897

JR wrote: I can speak to Rick’s work on these. I have one of his on my Crestliner. Awesome.. John

just to add to John's comment.......include all the generosity, help, and postings, all that Rick does is top notch, no detail missing..........one of our biggest asset's here on the site........taught me lots.......:shades:

57' Fleet Ranger111-
57' Fleet Cartopper-
53' Deluxe Runabout-
56' Johnson's...Javelin, 2 x 30,15, and 7 1/2 hp
we have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children

uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/
Last edit: by jabe.

Speedometers 26 Mar 2019 23:15 #94275

• JR
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Thank you received: 336
I can speak to Rick’s work on these. I have one of his on my Crestliner. Awesome.. John
The following user(s) said Thank You: RickG, jabe

1955 Vagabond, 1957 Crestliner Voyager Hardtop, 1958 Crestliner Jetstreak 15, past boats: 54 Vagabond, 55 Vagabond, 57 Vagabond, 50 FC Flyer, 46 FC Runabout, 57 FC Rocket, 57 Jetstreak

Speedometers 26 Mar 2019 20:06 #94270

• RickG
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
In the course of restoring my own speedometers I had to gear up to make some reproduction parts and can offer them to others here as well. I'd posted some of this in my Vagabond thread and it comes up from time to time in others so, in an effort to avoid thread drift, and make it easier to find, I'll post a dedicated thread here. As with my switch and logo plates, this is a hobby for me, so lead times vary with my life and work schedules. So... here is what's available:

Muskegon Outboard Specialties or Michigan Wheel parts

I got kind of enamored of these Muskegon Outboard Specialties ones a few years ago, restored a bunch of them, and so they're my primary focus. Most often these have a missing or damaged lens. My reproductions are vacuum formed from .030" acrylic and turned to 3" or 3.125", depending on the style, or custom sizes for other makes. I can also offer flat, un-drilled lenses for the older MOBS types too.

Lenses and faces:

Gauge faces are available in several styles, colors, and speed ranges. Faces are made from aluminum, like the originals, and are painted and then laser etched. These include a needle rest pin. While I'll be happy to sell you a face, fitting them is fussy and I needed to make some tooling to get it right without damaging them, so you might prefer to just ship it to me. I'll replace the face and return it to you via Express Mail.

Faces and needle rest pins:

Restoration

Includes disassembly, cleaning, replacement of necessary parts, and calibration. Cost will depend on condition.

Before:

After:

I sometimes have restored examples for sale, and will consider taking old ones, in nearly any condition, in trade. If you're looking for a particular type, feel free to shoot me a PM.

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: WetWillie, rushwal, jmhyatt, jabe, oldlure, HawkEyes

Last edit: by RickG.
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1989
  • Latest Member:mullinsboats
  • Total Posts:88.9k
  • Total Topics:6692
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:6
  • Yesterday Answer:33

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5560
VinTin 4743
sgower 4626
Eagle127 4602
Locomotion 3884
Boatboy 3736
BigBadJon 3376
Carol 2905
unclbuz 2891
Bikecop1 2565

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net