Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 21 Jan 2018 15:00 #81576

Super nice!!! Not ready for one yet hopefully you'll still be making them when I am. Amazing work,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 20 Jan 2018 06:02 #81540

• sgower
  • Dreaded Pirate Roberts
  • Dreaded Pirate Roberts
  • riveted by design...
  • Thank you received: 1091

TuPop wrote: On one side of my steering wheel, my Vagabond looks like Swiss cheese. This is the answer. Rick those are awesome. I'll go out to the shop tonight, measure, plan, then I'll get up with you. Aside from everything else, I'll finally get my Vagabond wired up.

Russ, my switches are all different and not lined up straight. The oval switch plate wouldn't fit. Incorporating the choke and key switch was the way to go. I cannot wait for spring so I can get this switch plate installed. I will post pictures of the process. I am really happy with the Rock's job he did on the switch plate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TuPop, RickG

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 20 Jan 2018 03:42 #81538

• RickG
  • RickG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Thank you received: 632
Thanks for the kind words guys.

John, yes that's what 'F' is a replica of, based on some pictures and measurements from another member. It'd be good to compare it to an actual one though.

Last edit: by RickG.

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 20 Jan 2018 02:26 #81535

• Boatboy
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Thank you received: 871
Rick, That logo plate marked (F), is that a replacement for the feather on the back sides of a 1958 Vagabond?

John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 20 Jan 2018 00:16 #81530

• TuPop
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 366
On one side of my steering wheel, my Vagabond looks like Swiss cheese. This is the answer. Rick those are awesome. I'll go out to the shop tonight, measure, plan, then I'll get up with you. Aside from everything else, I'll finally get my Vagabond wired up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

The Rivethead formerly known as Russ

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 20 Jan 2018 00:01 #81529

• jabe
  • Away
  • Captain
  • Captain
  • Thank you received: 1931
dItto what Ron said.......class A work Rick.......you should be quite proud, am sure........i too will be in touch one day........cheers

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 19 Jan 2018 23:45 #81527

That is mighty fine work Rick. You'll be hearing from me soon.
Ron Pickett
Rochester, Minnesota

1954 Vagabond
1957 Rocket
1957 Crestliner Viking
1959 Larson Thunderhawk
1975 Crestliner Fishing boat
2006 Bennington

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 19 Jan 2018 19:55 #81522

• RickG
  • RickG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Thank you received: 632
Several of you have expressed interest in having custom switch panels made, similar to the one I did for my Vagabond. I’ve done a few of these so far and am now able to produce more of them. The etching thing started as a way to reproduce the Feather Craft bow plates for my boat, but has grown into producing other parts that lend themselves to the technique, for members of this and other boating sites. This is an avocation for me as I still have to work full time at my ‘real’ job, but here’s what I can offer:

Switch Panels

The panels are made from 0.063" 5052-H32 aluminum sheet, into which the labels and logos are chemically etched. The etched areas are then paint filled in your choice of color.
They can be supplied in any stage of completion, from bare panels with just labels to complete with switches, switch guards, boots, wiring, connectors, and mounting hardware. Switches are good quality from Cole-Hersey in whatever configuration you require (SPST, SPDT, DPST, momentary, etc.).
Any shape panel is possible, and can be tailored to your requirements (...covering existing holes, etc.). Sizes up to 3.5” x 11” are standard but larger sizes are possible.
Along with the panel, I’ll provide full scale templates that you can use to precisely locate the panel and cutout area. Some examples…

Complete with switches, guards and boots...

Panels and switch guards only…

Ordering

To be able to give you a price quote I’ll need to know:

1. What size, shape, and number of panels you’re thinking of.
2. How many switches, what they’ll operate, and how you’d like them labeled.
3. What options/level of completion, i.e. bare plates, or with switches, guards, or connectors.
4. Color, if paint filled.
5. Other special requirements, logos, etc.

Once that’s determined, I’ll send you a full scale proof to approve before any fabrication is started. I want to be sure that you're getting exactly what you want. Since this usually involves some back and forth communication, and we can’t send PMs with attachments here, it’s best to email me at: GrassyPondBoats(at)gmail(dot)com
I’ll get back to you as quickly as I can and get you my phone number if you'd like to talk about your project.

Other parts

The etching process can be applied to other parts as well. If there’s something special that you think can be done this way, feel free to ask. Currently I'm only working with aluminum but may offer brass or bronze in the future.
These are trim rings for the Attwood steering wheels found on many antique boats. The originals (bottom) are usually in pretty poor shape.

Feather Craft logo Plates

These 6 styles are available now. Each pair has a left and right facing feather:

I’m currently working on artwork for the earlier 2 and 4 rivet, ovals with the rounded feather. These are being drawn from a pencil rubbing of actual plates (...Thanks Bikecop1), so they’ll be very accurate reproductions. I’ll update this when those are available.

I’ve made some improvements to the process to improve the quality and consistency, as well as shorten the lead time for these. Note that the fastener locations on the designs that have rivets are etched but not drilled so that you can use the fastener size and type of your choice. The options for logo plates are:

1 - A pair (right and left, both sides are different) of any of the 6 styles above.
2 - A single plate of either right or left, of the 6 styles above. The default image for a single plate is with the feather quill to the left, tip to the right. If you'd prefer the other 'quill right' feather just specify that.

Pricing: There's quite a bit of hand work involved to prepare, expose, develop, etch, and finish these. In the stock size and styles, I can offer a single plate for $40, including USPS 1st class shipping. A left and right pair is $70 shipped.

The finished size is typically around 8 1/8" x 2 5/8". If you’re concerned about the size, I’ll be happy to send you a full scale PDF of the style you’re interested in. Other sizes and/or custom text are possible, potentially at additional cost.

Thanks for your interest!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sgower, FishbonzWV, rivet-runner, Bikecop1, TuPop, alanbiltz, buzzerbaits, rushwal, boatcrazy, jabe and 4 other people also said thanks.

Last edit: by RickG.
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2026
  • Latest Member:Jesspa
  • Total Posts:89.9k
  • Total Topics:6757
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:23
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:0
  • Yesterday Answer:8

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5591
VinTin 4770
sgower 4630
Eagle127 4616
Locomotion 3945
Boatboy 3779
BigBadJon 3404
unclbuz 2925
Carol 2905
Bikecop1 2580

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net