Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 09 Aug 2019 02:52 #98166

Rick. Were u ever able to make ones of the pencil drawing I sent you?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 08 Aug 2019 23:43 #98160

• RickG
  • RickG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 610
That came out nice Steve. You going to do Dawn's in blue?

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 07 Aug 2019 11:40 #98103

• HawkEyes
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Thank you received: 585
That's cool Steve, what color is the red?

p.s.
I ran into a friend of yours at Toledo Beach Marina. I can't remember his name but he worked with you for many years, he has a cabin on Russell Island.
Small world.

Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II. 1961 Merc 400

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 07 Aug 2019 09:34 #98101

Very nice!

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 07 Aug 2019 01:59 #98094

• sgower
  • Dreaded Pirate Roberts
  • Dreaded Pirate Roberts
  • riveted by design...
  • Thank you received: 1080
Took a page out of Jay Pearce book and painted the plates and then did a light sanding. They turned out great. I ended up mounting over my foil plates that were so badly faded that you couldn't read them unless you got real close.

Next I have oval ones to for Dawn's DR.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: scoot, RickG, SeanDrives4Fun

Last edit: by sgower.

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 14 Feb 2019 02:09 #93419

• HawkEyes
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Thank you received: 585
Dang Rick, first class in my book, I might let you get settled in then send you a PM...

Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II. 1961 Merc 400

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 12 Feb 2019 18:48 #93405

• RickG
  • RickG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 610

Bikecop1 wrote: Rick, did you ever try any of the ones I made a pencil rub of?

I'll answer over here so as not to further hijack Jay's thread... Jennings, I got about halfway through the artwork and got sidetracked by other things. I have a bit more time for that now, and will finish it. I'll post when I do. What I don't have at the moment is easy access to the stuff to do the etching and metalwork. I'll be needing to move my shop and boat stuff soon and will be able to resume fully after that happens. Should any of you need anything in the mean time, don't be afraid to ask. I may be able to handle some things now, depending on complexity.

Thanks for the endorsement Steve. My technique for the paint fill is a bit different than Jay's. I clean and give the plates a light etch with aluminum brightener, flood the area with paint on a brush, and then squeegee off the excess. Then the plate gets baked at 200 degrees for an hour, and when cool any remaining paint is cleaned off with a thinner soaked rag stretched over a soft wood burnishing tool. The final step is a light pass with maroon ScotchBrite on an orbital sander to even out the finish and remove any scratches from the paint cleanup.

That all works pretty well and might also lend itself to the bigger area of the feathers too if you're careful. The last plate I did this way was 2 colors, and that worked too. I've seen this done with powder coat, and would like to try that at some point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jabe

Last edit: by RickG.

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 12 Feb 2019 16:01 #93399

• sgower
  • Dreaded Pirate Roberts
  • Dreaded Pirate Roberts
  • riveted by design...
  • Thank you received: 1080
Anybody looking to go this route will not be disappointed. Rick does quality work. I am thrilled with how big the difference was from my eclectic set of switches to a nice organize professional looking plate. That is mine pictured below that has the four switches, horn button, choke and key start. Rick provides a cut out template to use as a guide to drill the mounting holes and to make the cut out for the switches. Everything was provided except the choke and key switch.

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 12 Feb 2019 14:04 #93395

Any luck on the oval plates?

RickG wrote: Several of you have expressed interest in having custom switch panels made, similar to the one I did for my Vagabond. I’ve done a few of these so far and am now able to produce more of them. The etching thing started as a way to reproduce the Feather Craft bow plates for my boat, but has grown into producing other parts that lend themselves to the technique, for members of this and other boating sites. This is an avocation for me as I still have to work full time at my ‘real’ job, but here’s what I can offer:

Switch Panels

The panels are made from 0.063" 5052-H32 aluminum sheet, into which the labels and logos are chemically etched. The etched areas are then paint filled in your choice of color.
They can be supplied in any stage of completion, from bare panels with just labels to complete with switches, switch guards, boots, wiring, connectors, and mounting hardware. Switches are good quality from Cole-Hersey in whatever configuration you require (SPST, SPDT, DPST, momentary, etc.).
Any shape panel is possible, and can be tailored to your requirements (...covering existing holes, etc.). Sizes up to 3.5” x 11” are standard but larger sizes are possible.
Along with the panel, I’ll provide full scale templates that you can use to precisely locate the panel and cutout area. Some examples…

Complete with switches, guards and boots...

Panels and switch guards only…

Ordering

To be able to give you a price quote I’ll need to know:

1. What size, shape, and number of panels you’re thinking of.
2. How many switches, what they’ll operate, and how you’d like them labeled.
3. What options/level of completion, i.e. bare plates, or with switches, guards, or connectors.
4. Color, if paint filled.
5. Other special requirements, logos, etc.

Once that’s determined, I’ll send you a full scale proof to approve before any fabrication is started. I want to be sure that you're getting exactly what you want. Since this usually involves some back and forth communication, and we can’t send PMs with attachments here, it’s best to email me at: GrassyPondBoats(at)gmail(dot)com
I’ll get back to you as quickly as I can and get you my phone number if you'd like to talk about your project.

Other parts

The etching process can be applied to other parts as well. If there’s something special that you think can be done this way, feel free to ask. Currently I'm only working with aluminum but may offer brass or bronze in the future.
These are trim rings for the Attwood steering wheels found on many antique boats. The originals (bottom) are usually in pretty poor shape.

Feather Craft logo Plates

These 6 styles are available now:

I’m currently working on artwork for the earlier 2 and 4 rivet, ovals with the rounded feather. These are being drawn from a pencil rubbing of actual plates (...Thanks Bikecop1), so they’ll be very accurate reproductions. I’ll update this when those are available.

I’ve made some improvements to the process to improve the quality and consistency, as well as shorten the lead time for these. Note that the fastener locations on the designs that have rivets are etched but not drilled so that you can use the fastener size and type of your choice. The options for logo plates are:

1 - A pair (right and left, both sides are different) of any of the 6 styles above.
2 - A single plate of either right or left, of the 6 styles above. The default image for a single plate is with the feather quill to the left, tip to the right. If you'd prefer the other 'quill right' feather just specify that.

Pricing: There's quite a bit of hand work involved to prepare, expose, develop, etch, and finish these. In the stock size and styles, I can offer a single plate for $40, including USPS 1st class shipping. A left and right pair is $70 shipped.

The finished size is typically around 8 1/8" x 2 5/8". If you’re concerned about the size, I’ll be happy to send you a full scale PDF of the style you’re interested in. Other sizes and/or custom text are possible, potentially at additional cost.

Thanks for your interest!

Etched Aluminum Electrical Switch Panels and Logo Plates 03 Dec 2018 05:02 #91658

• rushwal
  • Away
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 562

clcintx wrote: We used paint stripper on our rocket logos and found the original logo. I'll try to get a better scan or something for your archives ... But ours didn't have the flags like the other one that was posted.

If you have a scanner, scan them as a TIFF file and send the file to me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. I can make vinyl decals for the Rocket Logo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: clcintx

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1966
  • Latest Member:FMCOKC
  • Total Posts:88.2k
  • Total Topics:6659
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:2
  • Yesterday Answer:27

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5509
VinTin 4713
sgower 4618
Eagle127 4586
Locomotion 3836
Boatboy 3702
BigBadJon 3350
Carol 2905
unclbuz 2855
Bikecop1 2550

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net