• Thank you received: 128
Boat name is Big Hoggy Woggy
Repowered for 2017 with Long Shaft merc 500's

My Firefly is Little Hoggy Woggy

Furry brown object is Miss Moxie Woggy

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by squirrelboydeluxe.

1955 starliner 02 Feb 2017 03:27 #70687

• SALLYO
  • SALLYO's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
  • Thank you received: 1
It's a place herein town it's called www.onlinemetalsupply.com they buy up aluminum and other metals scratch and dent kinda thing never know what they have they list new stuff all the time

1955 starliner 02 Feb 2017 01:46 #70683

SALLYO wrote: my transom is 1 1/2 inches thick i used three layers of 1/2 inch aluminum honeycomb sheeting (super strong and will never rot) sandwiched between an inside and outside aluminum sheet of 6061 .090 gauge aluminum

Good job on changing that transom, you had a lot of work overall on the ship and it looks very nice.
I'm replacing the transom on a pontoon this winter and I was thinking of using aluminum. What is the company and particulars, part # for the aluminum honeycomb (or a link) to part number? I need the same thickness with about the same horsepower motor.
Thanks

1955 Vagabond
1956 30hp Evinrude Lark
1973 Glastron GT 150

1955 starliner 01 Feb 2017 22:25 #70677

squirrelboydeluxe wrote: Wayne
I thought that trailer was supposed to be "road ready" :unsure:

Lol. Its still not road worthy! The replacement trailer is much better.

Sallyo, getting my Lone Star up to Canada from Texas was an adventure to say the least. Squirrelboydeluxe has a Cruisemaster, too. It has a nice pair of Merc 300's on it.

Here is the story of my boat...

feathercraft.net/index.php/forum/lone-st...uisemaster-craziness

Wayne
Hamilton, ON

1955 Vagabond I w/ 1955 Mercury MK55 50 hp
1957 Ranger III w/ 1957 Evinrude Big Twin 35 hp (sold)

Volunteer for the uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/

This image is hidden for guests.

Last edit: by wbeaton.

1955 starliner 01 Feb 2017 22:15 #70676

• squirrelboydeluxe
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Wisdom may come on little cat's feet but in so doi
  • Thank you received: 128
Wayne
I thought that trailer was supposed to be "road ready" :unsure:

1955 starliner 01 Feb 2017 22:04 #70675

great work, thinkin you done this before....... :hmm: .........

love the captain's chair........nice curves and shape........looks awesome.........

1955 starliner 01 Feb 2017 19:40 #70674

• SALLYO
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
my transom is 1 1/2 inches thick i used three layers of 1/2 inch aluminum honeycomb sheeting (super strong and will never rot) sandwiched between an inside and outside aluminum sheet of 6061 .090 gauge aluminum

1955 starliner 01 Feb 2017 19:15 #70673

Thanks for indulging all of my questions. I removed the original toilet from mine, as well. I will be using a port-a-potty instead. I intend to do some long days and overnights on it so the larger cabin and amenities are important.

You did a nice job on the transom. Now I understand why it doesn't have the pod. How thick did you make the plywood? Mine was replaced with construction grade plywood and sandwiched in place. It was completely rotten when I got it. I am replacing it with 1.5" of marine grade plywood, which is thicker than the original. I think the extra strength will be better since I will have twin outboards.

I considered welding a tank and putting it in the floor, but that doesn't make for a very large tank. I have two plastic 12 gallon tanks with fuel senders. They will go under a bench along the transom. I may change direction on the tanks and make a single large aluminium tank in the same spot, instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SALLYO

Wayne
Hamilton, ON

1955 starliner 01 Feb 2017 17:46 #70672

• SALLYO
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
(1) yes i got the title stating year make and model the guy i bought it from put a 4 cyl inboard in it and miss cut the transom so i built an intirely new one for my outboard (pic to follow)

(2)the 50 hp mercury was way to small with me my wife and a cooler gps was about 12 mph now with the 90hp i can have 5 people and a full cooler and i gps at 30-32 mph

(3) no mine had a sliding door but i liked the looks of the new one better its a storage door from a camper or rv i bought off of ebay for about $40 and then cut the porthole in it

(4)the paint is jus equipment enamel auto paint from my local oreillys auto store ive got to coats of etching primer two coats of grey primer and three coats of color. aside from some dock rash at my own hands its holding up really good she does set out n the weather year round since i dont have a building big enough to house her

(5)i welded up a fifteen gallon aluminum tank so it would fit n a specific spot by the transom

(6)she sits very high n the water with 5 people she is only about 7 inches below n the back handling is pretty good at about 20-25 mph with moderate waves like a foot high or so if i get in heavy traffic with alot of wakes it gets a little crazy the way i set up the back deck its comfortable for 5 people and your cooler with the 90 on back it gets a little loud sometimes

(7) yes the cabin is jus seating but it does allow two people to lay down or sleep if desired the original porcelin toilet has been removed and the holes plugged as here n missouri that would be an automatic ticket from water patrol the cabin for me doesnt get alot of use by us as for staying n but its a great place to store towels , tubes , life jackets and things

she pulls a tube realy well and has been a pretty good all around boat for me not sure if i would really change anything on her even after three years of use she works good for how i use her thats a really nice boat i love the old aluminum boats of all sizes if it wasnt for my wife id own everyone i could find scattered all over my yard oh yea the best thing i added to her was the little swimdeck and stainless ladder so much easier gettin n and out on the lake

This message has an attachment image.

1955 starliner 01 Feb 2017 16:05 #70671

Excellent work. I'm in the middle of restoring a 1956 Cruisemaster so I have lots of questions.

1) Are you sure of the year? I thought they went to the outboard pod in 1955 instead of hanging the motor directly on the transom. My 1956 has the pod.

2) What hp is the Mercury? Can you give us any performance info like max/cruise mph, gph, best hp range (eg 50-100 hp). How does it compare to the 90 hp Johnson?

3) Is the door to the cabin original? Mine has a sliding door. I've considered changing it to a door like yours.

4) What paint did you use and how did you apply it? Is it holding up well?

5) What are you using for a fuel tank?

6) Can you give us your general impressions about handling, passenger comfort, cabin noise, etc? Anything you can think of.

7) Is the interior just seating? No galley or head?

Sorry for all the questions. I don't get to talk to many people with an operating Starliner/Cruisemaster. I'll be using twin 40 hp Johnsons on mine. Here is a photo of mine as found. It looks a lot different now since I've dismantled most of it and stripped the paint.

This message has an attachment image.

Wayne
Hamilton, ON

Last edit: by wbeaton.
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2173
  • Latest Member:kgilbert
  • Total Posts:95.4k
  • Total Topics:7057
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:3
  • Today Answer:25
  • Yesterday Answer:16

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5712
VinTin 5023
sgower 4767
Eagle127 4704
Locomotion 4393
Boatboy 3989
BigBadJon 3684
unclbuz 3032
Carol 2965
Bikecop1 2647

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net