Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Jet Streak Help 09 Aug 2023 12:30 #126394

• Randy
  • Randy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Rick,
 That motor mount did seem odd.   The next project was to change that trailer and set up a long roller set or bunks.  I like rollers for loading, but haven't used bunks much.  I had seen the advertisement for the Jet Streak rated for a 60hp.  Figured I should be OK.  Thanks for the help.  It looks like it has to be a fun boat.     I'll work on the motor trim first as far as porpoising first, and check the bottom.   I know I had a bad angle on the motor. 
Randy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jet Streak Help 08 Aug 2023 16:12 #126392

• RickG
  • Armory Officer
  • Armory Officer
  • Thank you received: 1706
Your 15 footer is rated for a bigger motor than that 58A. Granted, while Jetstreaks have maybe the sketchiest motor mount in the boating industry, you should be fine weight and power wise. Lots of 14' '850' boats run similar motors.
For the porpoising, have you checked the bottom for straightness? I've seen a couple with a bit of a hook from sitting on those single row roller trailers or ones with short bunks like yours. It doesn't take much to cause some weird handling.  

Last edit: by RickG.

Jet Streak Help 08 Aug 2023 14:50 #126390

• Randy
Thanks all!  Second question, would that Mark 58A be too heavy for the back of the Jet Streak?  It could have been a lot of errors put together,  motor not trimmed right not able to hold plane, cycling throttle,  Leaking, and probably backwash.   It did originally jump on plane, and then  porpoise madly.  I figured I could trim it when I got to dock. 
Randy

Jet Streak Help 07 Aug 2023 14:40 #126386

• RickG
  • Armory Officer
  • Armory Officer
What JR said. Mine had never been disassembled. There was no gasket, just sealant. The bottom part of the castings have a pretty large space between them and the hull. Mine was filled with about 1/4" of something similar to the duct seal that electricians use on a service entrance. I made a closed cell foam gasket to take up that space and, like JR, sealed the whole mess up with Lexcel. 

Jet Streak Help 07 Aug 2023 14:14 #126385

• jr
  • Helmsman
  • Helmsman
  • Thank you received: 1297
Those taillights are a big leak problem for the Jetsteaks. I sealed mine with a large amount of Lexel sealant. In the grooves on the back of the taillight as mounting and all around the unit on the inside of the hull. They will still leak around the pulley if you stop hard and you get backwash. My Jetsteaks did not leak a drop except the taillights. Good luck 
1957 Clipper, 1950 Experimental Flyer, 1956 Golden Rocket, past boats: 54 Vagabond, 55 Vagabond, 57 Vagabond, 50 FC Flyer, 46 FC Runabout, 57 FC Rocket, 57 Jetstreak, 1957 Crestliner Voyager Hardtop 18, 1959 Crestliner Jetstreak 15, 1955 Vagabond

Last edit: by jr.

Jet Streak Help 07 Aug 2023 12:00 #126383

• Randy
Hi  All,
  I got controls and steering set to go, and attempted the first baptism this last week.  I had a oversight on my part as when I launched it, I didn't check it for leaks.  The rear trim and tail light pieces need to be sealed apparently.   I was not part of the assembly process.   How were those sealed?  Rubber gasket was my guess, but I just wanted to check if anyone had a assembly drawing I could go off of.  We had a huge amount of water in there by the time I got back to shore.   Hey it was on the water at least.   Thanks for all the help.
Randy

Jet Streak Help 02 Jan 2023 17:25 #123951

I've found serial numbers on the starboard side as far up as the rope cleat. As stated, should start with 752-xxxx. Nice job, I haven't done anything with my 15ft jetstreak. Been working on my 69 VW.
1958 Feather Craft Hawk II 14ft Mark 58, 1958 Crestliner Jet Streak 12ft Mark 25E, 1959 Jet Streak 15ft, 1957 Flyin Flivver 8ft Mark 15A, 1960 Aqua Queen 15ft Merc 400, 1965 Crestliner Raider Express 17ft, 1988 Algonquin 10ft (Funski) 25hp Merc,1978 Hammond -19ft 228hp, 1991 SOS Express 60hp Johnson

Jet Streak Help 04 Dec 2022 23:32 #123644

• Randy
Thanks, I have one lead that may pan out, otherwise I will take you up on that.  I appreciate it.

Jet Streak Help 09 Nov 2022 21:17 #123427

• RickG
  • Armory Officer
  • Armory Officer
Given how few there are, and how old they are, I'm pretty sure that you could make one up in the format that was used and it'd pass.

Your 15' model would have been 752-(4 or 5 digits). I can provide an original looking tag to match.

Jet Streak Help 09 Nov 2022 18:39 #123426

• Randy
Thanks all, I will take another look this weekend.   My friend Jim Z. did the restoration on it and I am grinning ear to ear.  If I cant pick up on the production serial number, I'm wondering if there any dead numbers out there that can be used, like old car titles.   My worry is trying to get it registered that the DNR will derate it without a valid serial number.  I will ask them about using the advertising for the boat to rate it, but I think they will want numbers for it as well.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2968
  • Latest Member:throttle man
  • Total Posts:119k
  • Total Topics:8032
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:1
  • Today Answer:13
  • Yesterday Answer:22