Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Day 1 1947 Vagabond

Day 1 1947 Vagabond 23 Aug 2012 17:34 #7480

Day 4. Day 3 was dedicated to power washing the house and other non fun stuff. Day 4 I finished stripping the outside. Removed the steering wheel . It's so cool. I want to have some cast. The front seat is a mess. You can tell by design it was never meant to be ridden in . The whole seat and support is collapsed. I drilled it out, removed the original bottle of 1940 Old Hawk . The foam underneath would not have floated a bucket. Here is a vid on drilling out rivet heads and some stills. The seat is going to take a whole new redesign. Wish Piper was here ! I could use the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Eagle127.

Day 1 1947 Vagabond 22 Aug 2012 00:02 #7356

• TuPop
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 369
I think the keel/stem part of my boat is just like troy's, I'll check it at the shop tomorrow and if it's different I'll let you know.

The Rivethead formerly known as Russ

Day 1 1947 Vagabond 21 Aug 2012 23:54 #7354

Howdy 'Eagle,'

I found a couple of surprises today just 'fondling' the Runabout. I think a rivet will take care of my two corrosion holes, you may need more. ;)

Sincerely,

Troy

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Day 1 1947 Vagabond 21 Aug 2012 23:49 #7352

Very nice find - congratulations. Glad you are an airframe mechanic - all of those skill required. Can't wait to see the final results.

What is amazing to me is how a piece of iron/dissimilar hardware combined with a little acid rain can corrode an aluminum hull. I suspect the galvanic reaction was producing enough stray current to power a light-bulb for more than a few years!

Day 1 1947 Vagabond 21 Aug 2012 22:50 #7350

Ok Day 2. Got the whole outer hall stripped. Went and got a spray can of Air Craft stripper. JR swears by it. I never had any luck with it. But figured what the hey. Bottom line,,,Dad's strips a lot faster with a whole lot less waste. The canned stuff ends up everywhere.
With all of the paint off I'm finding the curiosity stuff and the Ugly stuff.
Curious , The fold up back seat is reinforced with a beautiful strap across the back of it. Brass I think.
The FC emblems up front are just stamped feathers. No embossing or engraving.

The left side of the transom had the aluminum handle replaced with a iron one that caused dissimilar and Galvanic corrosion. The upper portion of the left and right transom will have to be re-skinned. No biggie. The keel is in two pieces . The bow splice goes down and stops about 2" from where the keel begins. Right where the factory skins come together. Big mess right there. Something is missing there. A splice or something. I need the guys with 48-49 boats to look at their keel layout. Rogers is nothing like mine. I plan to flip it tomorrow and get at the bottom. Damn I love doing this ! :mrgreen:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Eagle127.

Day 1 1947 Vagabond 21 Aug 2012 04:11 #7321

Big Congrats on that on Mark!

Day 1 1947 Vagabond 21 Aug 2012 01:24 #7314

That's my plan Jennings. Fine Line Auto.

Day 1 1947 Vagabond 21 Aug 2012 01:13 #7313

Eagle Keeper wrote: His daughter just started to drive. If he or I turn it in,, his insurance will go up more than the couple grand it will take to repair it. :roll: George, did the spark gap patch the faulty coil problem ? My phone is dead.

You can still take it to a body shop without having to notify either insurance. Done it a couple of times myself. Ca$h usually brings down the quote too.

Day 1 1947 Vagabond 21 Aug 2012 01:01 #7310

Speaking as a Vagabond bigot, congrats on snagging that old girl. Make her proud.

"Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me."...Matthew 25:40

Day 1 1947 Vagabond 21 Aug 2012 00:56 #7308

Super cool Mark, in your hands this should be stunning when completed.

The "Original" Embarrassment to the entire boating community.
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2085
  • Latest Member:beznay
  • Total Posts:92.9k
  • Total Topics:6911
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:2
  • Today Answer:0
  • Yesterday Answer:45

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5671
VinTin 4949
sgower 4717
Eagle127 4690
Locomotion 4164
Boatboy 3926
BigBadJon 3585
unclbuz 2983
Carol 2951
Bikecop1 2628

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net