So the big move back East has sucked up a bunch of boat time. I have been pecking away at a few things here and there, but today I finally got some time to get my floor started. Back in TX I had picked up some thermally modified ash wood from a local habitat for humanity. I used some on a vanity I made for our remodel and really love the tone of the wood. I am not sure how well it'll hold up in a boat, but it is used for decking and the thermal modification is to increase its weather resistance. It was pretty short money so I took a gamble. It'll look good for at least the first year
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
. I used aluminum Angle for the end supports where it'll rest on the seat angles. For the spans I am using UHMW plastic. It machines very well and will not rot and shouldn't squeak either. In the cockpit since it has the deep V, I used it on edge and will notch it around the stringers. In the mid and rear sections, I think I can use it on its side.
This section to this point, not sanded, needs some spacing adjustment, unfinished, took me about 4 hrs to make. We'll that with the 2" slats already having been ripped and cut to rough length before the move.
I also bought a polisher so I can brighten up my transom to be able to remount the original mahogany transom wood and get that gorgeous Merc back in place.
This message has attachments images. Please log in or register to see it.