TOPIC:

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 02 Sep 2022 21:10 #122261

• cballer
  • cballer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • 1957 Ranger IV, 1956 Evinrude 30hp Lark
  • Thank you received: 414
Ok fly wheel I cleaned up good, it’s certainly not the one that came with it as this one has teeth for generator not starting till following year in 57’.
I see no cracks but that doesn’t mean there isn’t any. What you said makes sense if may not show until it’s pushed on by nut.. hmm
unfortunately no not a huge pop but it was fairly greased..
horrible news but may just explain everything?

1957 Ranger IV
Love the Feathercraft!!

Some people want to know how a watch works,
others just want to know what time it is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 02 Sep 2022 20:25 #122259

• cballer
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
Standby I’ll clean in varsol and get back to you on flywheel immediately after feed kid!
1957 Ranger IV
Love the Feathercraft!!

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 02 Sep 2022 20:07 #122258

Curtis,
The two has marks on the mag plate are for setting the point gap using the factory OMC Timing fixture. You will not use those hash marks if you set your points by feeler gauge (.020 inch) I use the timing fixture because I have one.

I'm going to write on one of  your photos. There is a grove cut into the brass fixture that opens the throttle plate in the carb further and further as the throttle is advanced.

The single has mark in the brass plate is supposed to line up with a boss on the engine block at exactly the same time that the throttle plate is starting to open. I've heard from a few people that I respect that this setting can be played with to achieve the best transition between the  high and low jets. Before the throttle plate begins to open all fuel going through the carb is going through the low speed adjustable jet. Once the plate starts to open the high speed adjustable jet comes into play but the low speed circuit is still also in operation. This adjustment is designed to make the transition as smooth as possible. 

Yee Ha!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by VinTin.

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 02 Sep 2022 19:47 #122257

Curtis your flywheel may be cracked. 

When you torque it down it will still seem as if it is tightening. The problem is the the nut is being tightened but the flywheel has pushed all the way onto the crank and the tapered surfaces of the flywheel and crankshaft still have a semi loose fit that often can't be detected...because it is a semi tight fit. 

Does your flywheel pull easily with the puller?

Are you getting a loud 'pop'?

A good flywheel will often leave one wondering if the flywheel is going to come off or if it is going to break apart. 

What's up? 

Just guessing!

Last edit: by VinTin.

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 02 Sep 2022 19:32 #122256

• cballer
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
Here’s the woodruff key the spare I have is 3/4 of the length.. if I were to cut down width would this be ok or am I pushing my luck if I can’t find correct one close to home?
1957 Ranger IV
Love the Feathercraft!!

This message has attachments images.

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 02 Sep 2022 19:23 #122255

• cballer
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
Ok got patience together to write this and then lost it in cyberspace so lost it again after writing for 20mins with details..

to start I pulled everything and got flywheel off again.. I found what made loud pop sound was out on lake prior to pulling out the old wood paddle to get shore after second attempt at running motor on lake. Found my woodruff key snapped on crank in two pieces so explains zero spark. So off to a great start because it’s not a normal woodruff key like what I have spares for it’s a long shaped one I’ll have to order and probably wait for.. still not sure why this broke but most likely related to next paragraph?

next.. Ray the throttle to timing. This I over looked as I have read and watched about.. it seems that this was out a substantial amount around 3/4”. The wheel attached to carb linkage has a bad groove in it. I did try flip 180 degs as well flip upside down but wheel always seems to find grove.. so I set as close to correct as I could in grove so still a substantial amount of change. (Pictures attached)

Next… points… the cam on crank shaft I have doesn’t seem to have the arrow beside the “top” stamped on it. All the pictures I can find there’s a arrow to the right of the stamped top dead Center. So I guess my question here is do I just find the proudest spot on this cam ant set my points at .020”? Where the arrow usually is.. is not the proudest spot..hmm..

next… the two dash marks on magneto plate.. what is their reference? Should they be aligned with something specific? Where? I’ve seen the tool used for setting points to Center of these marks or advanced if points are worn I believe.. are they useful to me or need to be if I don’t have  another fancy tool? Picture attached..

I believe that’s a huge start appreciate any feedback please 
1957 Ranger IV
Love the Feathercraft!!

This message has attachments images.

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 01 Sep 2022 14:53 #122244

I walk away from stuff all the time, although some things are harder to get away from.  Get your spark/coils set up and working before you go fiddling with the packing, fix one problem at a time then move on.  This will keep you from having multiple scenarios and not make the process of elimination like doing algebra.  (I'm not good at algebra)
1955 Vagabond
1956 30hp Evinrude Lark
1973 Glastron GT 150
The following user(s) said Thank You: cballer

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 01 Sep 2022 14:23 #122243

• cballer
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
I don’t think flywheel magnets should be a concern. Ok thx
The back side of the points spring looks very close to contacting the coil laminates. When I pull flywheel tomorrow I’ll check this closer.
Does the armature plate rotate smoothly without binding or excessively moving around?Smooth as can be, don’t have to force flywheel on, no signs of major scrapes but few marks from years gone by. No slop.
Are you sure your kill wires are not grounding or contacting each other somehow? Sure on this dash side is heat shrunk and separated(no kill switch yet, I metered to ground including vacuum cut-out. All seems operational as intended. But may disconnect cut out for next run to eliminate possibility of it malfunction while running. But doesn’t explain no spark when sitting.
Have you synced the carb with the timing advance? No but watch/read last night on how to set up so will verify tomorrow.

IM WALK-IN AWAY FOR A DAY ITS BECOME NOT FUN AND NOT THINKING STRAIGHT. SOME DAD/DAUGHTER TIME SHOULD REFRESH ME IM HOPING..
Thx for putting up with my questions of being all over the map. Have a great Thursday guys/gals!
1957 Ranger IV
Love the Feathercraft!!

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 01 Sep 2022 12:19 #122242

I don’t think flywheel magnets should be a concern.
The back side of the points spring looks very close to contacting the coil laminates.
Does the armature plate rotate smoothly without binding or excessively moving around?
Are you sure your kill wires are not grounding or contacting each other somehow?
Have you synced the carb with the timing advance?
Never doubt the wisdom of dumb question’s.

Last edit: by Locomotion.

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 01 Sep 2022 03:44 #122241

• cballer
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
Ohio
so missed this post, it’s in the back of my head but truly think fuel isn’t concern with the amount flowing through crank case drain.. it’s truly crazy the amount of waste. But I’ve not ruled out and both ideas are great, I may pop a 6 gallon boat tank in at back for test purposes and look at modifications if needed that’s for great idea.
1957 Ranger IV
Love the Feathercraft!!

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2718
  • Latest Member:Canuckcraft
  • Total Posts:114k
  • Total Topics:7818
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:7
  • Yesterday Answer:12