TOPIC:

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 12 Jan 2022 05:07 #116882

• cballer
  • cballer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1957 Ranger IV, 1956 Evinrude 30hp Lark
  • Thank you received: 101
Evinrude venture, thought I’d share for the in-experienced guys like myself in this post. It’s been a venture for me with the limited time, I feel like I’ll never need these pictures again… but man do I wish I had one of you guys as a Neibour through it all!! Most likely been a 30 min job with assistance but that’s life screwing with something 66yrs old..( I feel young)
so as you know I really battled the water drain from exhaust cavity to outside of bottom leg near skag. (Worried I’d break alum) Yes indeed I learned a lot and not just about the drain so looking back im glad I suffered through it lol. (If you don’t know you certainly will learn)
As you know I soaked/poked etc for well over a month before gaining enough guts to get mean with it. Tried coat hangers,(soak), welding rods, (soak), drill bit I welded to long rod, (soak), finally saying screw it after trying to drill with kerosene and turned drill to hammer drill and lubricated with aero-kroil. The exhaust particles and whatever turned to concrete in that 3/16” hole, and the final straw was lay it to it like my last post said. Two wapps! With hammer drill in less than 30secs and off to the races..

spent some time cleaning up and marking pictures for a guy that may question where on earth do I drill this drain hole? Even the opening wasn’t visible to me so really had no idea where to start the hole(where to begin! Nor did I know length of cavity/location of it). There’s zero pictures that I could find and was truly worried I was going to drill aluminum out rather than obstruction of exhaust slag that was hard as concrete..

any ways sorry for the long bs I just feel it’s needed to explain even if 3/4 of you gents have been there done that.

hoping to put everything back in action this Saturday, though it won’t look like JR’s or mercmarc master pieces I’ve been drewling over lately. ( I’ve not got sandblaster to even try those fancy paint jobs) it will function hopefully and keep water out of gearcase as well water flowing for cooling and that’s a start for this guy. Hey maybe it will shift gears when I’m through lol

want to thank everyone for their comments, help, support, idea’s while I dragged everyone through my “venture”

hope pics help someone one day if not a memory I can laugh at!

ps… I hate waiting for parts 55 days for seal kit!! Grr..

Curtis 
1957 Ranger IV
Love the Feathercraft!!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 09 Jan 2022 13:52 #116833

• Syd
  • Thank you received: 68
if i remember right the shift rod only gets the o ring under the bushing
The following user(s) said Thank You: cballer

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 09 Jan 2022 03:39 #116825

• cballer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thx boatboy 

other than having to clean out a thread material from under oring/bushing I’d completely agree.

I don’t see felt/thread material in manual.

I feel like the last guy threw in my motor because they weren’t sure why they had washer or they actually knew it should be there?

thx curtis I’m questioning but it does make sense it should be there?
1957 Ranger IV
Love the Feathercraft!!

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 09 Jan 2022 03:34 #116822

• Boatboy
  • Away
  • Quartermaster
  • Quartermaster
  • Thank you received: 1309
I suspect the felt seal is for another motor other than your 1956 30 HP Johnson. They usually put parts in those kits to cover more than one motor.
John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 09 Jan 2022 03:13 #116817

• cballer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey guys great news!

the water drain from exhaust housing in leg…

I decided to put some elbow grease into it, I figured the kerosene and soaking didn’t do FA.

so I laid the hammer drill to it…yes I never recommend brute force to such a delicate jem! But as I said lost for words on what to do:( so the 3/16” drill bit and concrete drill worked if you believe that!?!

everything is ready for re-assembly..

I’ll ask again as I didn’t get a response and re-writing after great news of drain…there’s a felt washer in gearcase rebuild kit is it for shift rod linkage?
Thx Curtis 

1957 Ranger IV
Love the Feathercraft!!

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 08 Jan 2022 18:51 #116795

• cballer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Gents

ive received my last parts for gearcase, correct shift dog for the prop shaft I bought new (22 spline not 23), along with seal kit.
I was able to get shift Rod bushing out finally, tried several methods mentioned with none of them working which was frustrating. In the end I drifted out with a 5/16” ready rod and no damage, so I’m thrilled. Drive shaft seal was so corroded in place being brass it took a few hrs trying not to damage but did get it. Everything else went smooth as I could have hoped.
Everything was soaking for well over 30days and I had to put my purse down and just get aggressive. I was so worried about breaking leg or snapping something pot aluminum.
ive Still not had any luck on water drain even using information and methods mentioned so very frustrated with this, and lost for words and ideas.
I do have a question in my seal kit there’s one felt washer that I know you’ve all probably told me where it goes but cannot find information.
does this go in shift Rod hole ? Before o-ring and brass bushing? It appears it does but not certain.

So that’s where my life long boat/motor are at, with the 16” of fresh snow covering boat I’ve not been able to tackle last fabrication of steering helm. But like to see motor what should’ve been basic maintenance certainly hasn’t been ready for summer.

if for some reason any of you have one of these larks/big twin apart please post pictures of where the drain is supposed to be from inside its very clear on outside where it 90’s, I’ve welded a drill bit to a rod and been slowly making a mess but not gotten anywhere. So would be helpful with a bit of reassurance if possible.

thank you Curtis 

1957 Ranger IV
Love the Feathercraft!!

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 05 Dec 2021 04:28 #116269

• cballer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Vintin

ok thank you, I guess I purchased the original prop shaft which isn’t ideal if they modified it. The updated one is badly scared so is the reason I tried to replace, so sounding like I want the modified one… great ..so if I put new one in it’s going to pop out of gear.
thx for your input appreciated it
1957 Ranger IV
Love the Feathercraft!!

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 05 Dec 2021 03:17 #116265

You've got an updated version of the prop shaft that came in your foot.

There were spring loaded ball bearings that helped to hold the shift dog in place and give it a firmer shift. It's a different shift dog, too. 

The stone age didn't end because of a lack of stones.

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 04 Dec 2021 04:28 #116246

• cballer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thought I’d add my battery box lid ive been trying to make to hinge…
1957 Ranger IV
Love the Feathercraft!!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

1957 Ranger IV, Evinrude 30hp Lark 04 Dec 2021 04:25 #116245

• cballer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ok gents I need to talk to someone on the phone about my Evinrude, any takers? 
ive been soaking and chipping and lightly drilling my drain hole on leg that supposed to go from exhaust cavity where water pump is through to drain on skag for a couple weeks now..zero luck and feel I’m going to end up with a hole where no one ever wants.
pm me if I could take a couple mins of your time Saturday please.
thx
curtis
1957 Ranger IV
Love the Feathercraft!!

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2542
  • Latest Member:MRoyals
  • Total Posts:106k
  • Total Topics:7555
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:1
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:11
  • Yesterday Answer:18