Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Loose Rivets 12 Mar 2021 00:23 #110347

Locomotion wrote: Just hang that monster on there and see where it lands ;-)

Optimizing that Merc isn't as crucial when it's tilted up and on the rope.

Just getting used to the lay of this land.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by VinTin.

Loose Rivets 11 Mar 2021 19:37 #110343

Just hang that monster on there and see where it lands ;-)
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

Loose Rivets 11 Mar 2021 17:54 #110341

Locomotion wrote: Does your GPS speedometer have a remote antenna?
I understand the ones with the built in antennas may not pick up under an Aluminum deck.

No its a built in antenna. I will have to check into this. Thanks.
Click the link below for information on vintage Mercury restorations

Mercury Restorations

1957 Clipper / 1969 Merc 1000
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go

Loose Rivets 11 Mar 2021 17:24 #110340

Does your GPS speedometer have a remote antenna?
I understand the ones with the built in antennas may not pick up under an Aluminum deck.
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

Loose Rivets 11 Mar 2021 17:19 #110339

Locomotion wrote: You should be able to measure the motor, put the clamp brackets at 14 degrees from the cavitation plate and measure from the cavitation plate to the surface of the clamp brackets that sits on the transom using a square against the cavitation plate.
Then use the square to measure from the bottom of the hull to top of the transom.

With the square chine this boat is probably going to turn flat, you may be able to run the motor way high, you might want to invest in a water pressure gauge if you try to push the height much above even with the bottom.

hmmm... I think I might need to get on the phone with you on this one, I am not sure I follow what your trying to have me check

But, I already have a Water Pressure Gauge that I plan on using as well. I ordered a GPS speedo and a tach for the boat too.

Mercury Restorations

Jump in a boat and go

Loose Rivets 11 Mar 2021 13:21 #110335

You should be able to measure the motor, put the clamp brackets at 14 degrees from the cavitation plate and measure from the cavitation plate to the surface of the clamp brackets that sits on the transom using a square against the cavitation plate.
Then use the square to measure from the bottom of the hull to top of the transom.

With the square chine this boat is probably going to turn flat, you may be able to run the motor way high, you might want to invest in a water pressure gauge if you try to push the height much above even with the bottom.

Last edit: by Locomotion.

Loose Rivets 11 Mar 2021 12:38 #110334

VinTin wrote: Marc have you checked to see where the cavatation plate falls in relationship to the bottom of the hull?

Now is the time.

Now that you've cut the wood, I mean.

No I have not yet. With this newer motor the water intake is on the sides of the LU like you see on modern motors. This will allow me to raise
up the motor more than I was able to in the past. The Hawk setup was raised 1-1/4" , then I ran out of room with my Thumb clamps, so I couldn't
go any higher.
I suspect I am going to run into the same problem with this transom. That is going to upset me because I now have more room to raise the motor based on
where the water pick-up location is.

No cuts were made yet, and it will be a little while before I do. Now that you are mentioning this, I need to take some more measurements.

I bet I could go up above 2" But how the heck do I do that with the Thumb screws being my limitations?

Mercury Restorations

Jump in a boat and go

Loose Rivets 11 Mar 2021 03:03 #110333

Marc have you checked to see where the cavatation plate falls in relationship to the bottom of the hull?

Now is the time.

Now that you've cut the wood, I mean.

Just getting used to the lay of this land.

Loose Rivets 11 Mar 2021 02:28 #110332

My clipper was set up for 3/4" wood on the inside top "splash well". So I will have 1.5" plus the thickness of the aluminum.

My clamp brackets are 10" long so they will cover a majority of the transom going downward. 15" transom.

Thinking about edge gluing all the boards sounds like it might be a good idea, as it will tie in with the inner board going lengthwise too.
I also have my two over the top trim piston arms to install as well. These arms will take up some of the space of the long transoms boards.

Talking about PTT. I also have the pump to install. Adding in a lower inner wood support would make for an excellent mounting board too. "I think".

Here's what I am thinking now that we have discussed it.

Full length transom, all biscuited with thickened epoxy and 4200ed to the transom. Number Ten screws right Ray?

Lower inner support, for extra strength and pump mount.two boards edge glued together.

Mercury Restorations

Jump in a boat and go

Loose Rivets 11 Mar 2021 02:28 #110331

• Boatboy
  • Away
  • Quartermaster
  • Quartermaster
  • Thank you received: 1141
I replaced the inside and outside wood on my Clipper just the way it was installed by Feather Craft using the existing holes. I did replace the original aluminum screws with stainless steel screws.
John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: scoot, VinTin, MercuryMarc

Last edit: by Boatboy.
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2356
  • Latest Member:Ranger3rob
  • Total Posts:100k
  • Total Topics:7343
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:1