Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 57 Rocket photo

57 Rocket photo 27 May 2020 23:32 #104776

...and just to run the topic into the ground - as I was doing some performance tweaks on my 55 DR, I made some videos of the transom of my boat as it came out of the water to plane. I mounted a GoPro on the transom, pointing down at the foot of the motor. Search for "jmh55dr" on YouTube, and you'll see my transom videos as well as some general videos of Feathercraft cruises. In the transom videos, note that I'm stacking various thicknesses of wood under the motor clamps to raise the motor by different amounts above the transom. I ended up using a piece of an oak window sill - because it's what I had on hand. Hence, some of the videos are labeled e.g. "Sill Tilt 2" and "Sill Tilt 3", meaning I had the window sill under the motor, with the trim angle set to the 2nd and 3rd peg, respectively.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

57 Rocket photo 27 May 2020 22:54 #104775

To add to what Jeff said I made my transom close to 4 1/2 inches taller on my 51 DR. I started with a measurement from inside of motor clamp to top of anti-cavitation plate. This should be total height of transom measured from bottom of hull to set the plate even with the bottom of the boat. Mine is actually 1/2" below because of width of available lumber when I built it. This raising necessitated a dropped steering bracket so cables would clear the tumblehome. All in my marathon special build thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thacker

1952 Deluxe Runabout 1956 Johnson 30hp 1960 Deluxe Clipper

57 Rocket photo 27 May 2020 03:49 #104769

I'll make a comment that may be a little late, given that you've just finished the inner transom wood. Once you have a motor on the boat and get everything working, it is common for people to start tweaking things for best performance. And one of the most significant performance improvements you can make is to raise the motor on the transom, to minimize the depth & drag of the motor's foot in the water. You might see that people have added somewhere between 1/2" to 1 1/2" of wood under the motor clamps to lift the motor above the top of the transom.

Unfortunately, it is probably difficult to anticipate how much lift is appropriate for your boat & motor. The goal is usually to raise the motor as much as possible without it "cavitating" in moderate turns. And of course the motor must be able to draw cooling water through the foot. But with that in mind, you might consider sizing your outer transom a little taller than you think you'll need. You could test it and remove some of the extra height till you get it right. You can cut it shorter as needed, but it's a lot harder to make it taller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, Thacker

57 Rocket photo 27 May 2020 02:56 #104767

I don't have a 57 Rocket but I am sure that is not the original wood.

John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

57 Rocket photo 27 May 2020 01:28 #104766

• Thacker
  • Thacker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
  • Thank you received: 9
This is the plywood that was on the outside of the transom. Wondering if this is the correct size, shape, proportion? It’s 13” across the top, 9” across the bottom, and 13-1/2” top to bottom. This may be correct but, looks too narrow at the bottom to me. The 13-1/2” height looks correct as this lands it at the bottom rivet line. Also, the bolt holes look a little too close to the edges. Making a few tweaks is not an issue, just wondering if this sounds and looks like original dimensions and correct. Thoughts?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

57 Rocket photo 26 May 2020 13:42 #104758

It looks great and will pretty much just disappear once you sand a bevel on the edges. Sand a small radius on the edges to get rid of the line and they sort of disappear.
I have had to do this on several Feather Craft transoms.
The stringers look to be in pretty good shape, if you have any dents in the transom now is a good time to fix those if they keep the wood from laying flat against the sheeting.

"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." - Ray Wylie Hubbard
Last edit: by Locomotion.

57 Rocket photo 26 May 2020 02:43 #104755

• Thacker
  • Away
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
Finally got the inside transom wood cut and put in temporarily with the corner braces. The thickness under the braces is 3/4”. Everywhere else is 7/8”. The 3/4” thick area had to be wider than the bracket so I could “Roll” down in position. May have been a little cleaner looking to go all 3/4” thick but, this will be stronger and will look fine after I sand and bevel the transition area.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: rushwal

57 Rocket photo 23 May 2020 00:58 #104644

I like PPG single stage urethane. They have two lines and I forget the name but I have only used the higher cost one. Lays real nice, great gloss and very durable. It is sold mostly to airplane guys because with no clear it is lighter in weight. I use it on old cars as I feel the base clear looks funny on an old ride. I have had good luck with Summit Racing branded DTM sandable epoxy primer (pretty sure it is Southern Polyurethanes rebadged product). Both waterproof. If you need to fill dents use epoxy filler not polyester which sucks up water.

1952 Deluxe Runabout 1956 Johnson 30hp 1960 Deluxe Clipper

57 Rocket photo 22 May 2020 17:44 #104629

Thacker wrote: I know paint and or polish has been discussed here many times and basically comes down to preference. For me, I think the preference is paint. My wife likes the paint with polished aluminum trim as well. I have to keep her happy. The question is; what type and brand paint to use. Top paint I think will do the trick I think and better color choices available as well. There is that small area on the sides near the transom that is in the water a lot but not much while on plane. Just looking for input, thanks.

I never panted one so I cant help, but if your boat will be sitting on a trailer I would not worry about using a top coat paint. the scum line will just wash off

Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II, Merc 400

57 Rocket photo 22 May 2020 15:22 #104624

• Thacker
  • Away
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
I know paint and or polish has been discussed here many times and basically comes down to preference. For me, I think the preference is paint. My wife likes the paint with polished aluminum trim as well. I have to keep her happy. The question is; what type and brand paint to use. Top paint I think will do the trick I think and better color choices available as well. There is that small area on the sides near the transom that is in the water a lot but not much while on plane. Just looking for input, thanks.

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2134
  • Latest Member:charles
  • Total Posts:94.4k
  • Total Topics:6994
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:3
  • Today Answer:7
  • Yesterday Answer:11

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5699
VinTin 5013
sgower 4748
Eagle127 4703
Locomotion 4298
Boatboy 3973
BigBadJon 3640
unclbuz 3009
Carol 2962
Bikecop1 2640

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net