Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1956 Rocket Reconstruction 05 Jan 2020 00:28 #101132

I want these fenders on my next aluminum trailer...

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: MercuryMarc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1956 Rocket Reconstruction 04 Jan 2020 23:15 #101130

I checked out his site, truly an artist, it will be interesting to see what he does with that boat, if it is mostly an art project or if he is going to try to build a performance craft out of that hull.
“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” Maya Angelou

Last edit: by Locomotion.

1956 Rocket Reconstruction 04 Jan 2020 19:31 #101120

Holidays are over, any progress on that damn speed boat.?? .. There is a very creative metal guy to the east of ya... He is fabing up a Alumacraft
to a small speedster... Pic below if attach .? His business LINK lockhartmetalart.com/
1970 Mon-Ark 16 ft skiff
1957 Merc Mark 25

1956 Rocket Reconstruction 11 Dec 2019 16:30 #100633

The Art Doctor wrote: Ray, have you ever tried this stuff? More like brazing than welding as it does not melt the parent material but is still a hot metal joint. Bonds at 600*F have to use MAP or oxy/actl torch. I have been curious if it would be OK for a non-structural repair like filling dash holes or even the keel crack.

www.amazon.com/Super-Aluminum-Welding-Br...76031566&sr=8-2&th=1

Some of the high end Aluminum panel restoration guys that do vintage race cars and airplanes braze Aluminum and never TIG or MIG weld it.
I am not a fan of welding on these boats especially the 5052 sheeting because it is so thin but the 6063 extrusions do well when done correctly.
“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” Maya Angelou

Last edit: by Locomotion.

1956 Rocket Reconstruction 11 Dec 2019 02:38 #100629

Ray, have you ever tried this stuff? More like brazing than welding as it does not melt the parent material but is still a hot metal joint. Bonds at 600*F have to use MAP or oxy/actl torch. I have been curious if it would be OK for a non-structural repair like filling dash holes or even the keel crack.

www.amazon.com/Super-Aluminum-Welding-Br...76031566&sr=8-2&th=1
1952 Deluxe Runabout with 1956 Johnson 30hp 1959 Deluxe Clipper with 1973 Merc 500 50hp

1956 Rocket Reconstruction 11 Dec 2019 02:13 #100628

A little progress, Charlie came by and helped clean and strip the transom off the Rocket.
I have a crack in the keel about 14" long;

Once the heat of the welder hit it the crack opened up and just ran, 72"

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: MercuryMarc

1956 Rocket Reconstruction 30 Nov 2019 16:04 #100503

Hey Dan,

Thanks, that's perfect!

1956 Rocket Reconstruction 30 Nov 2019 15:45 #100502

HawkEyes wrote:

DrChip wrote: ......just how fast....just wonderin’........

Chip; probably faster than you :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

1956 Rocket Reconstruction 30 Nov 2019 03:12 #100500

Locomotion wrote: Hey Dan,

Thanks for the photos, can you get a measurement from the end of the keel to the back end of the bottom and measure the length of the slope?
It looks like the back end is still a wet keel, does the rivet spacing change where the keel changes over from a dry to wet keel?
Can you see any type of water drain hole on the back end of the keel?

I'm going out to check on the rivet spacing at the wet/dry keel transition and will edit back into this posting.

The wet keel ends exactly 12" from the very rear edge of the tab.

The hypotenuse of the triangle formed at the end of the wet keel is exactly 9 inches. It appears to be welded where the keel in pinched closed along that 9 inches.

The only drainage of the wet keel looks to be an opening of the extrusion where it joins the hull.

The rivet spacing is 1" center to center to past the 'plug' and then goes to three inch centers. From bottom of the hull the rivet spacing is 1" center to center from the bow to past the plug, then changes to 3" centers.

"So shake the dust off of your wings and the sleep out of your eyes." Townes Van Zandt

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Locomotion

Last edit: by VinTin.

1956 Rocket Reconstruction 29 Nov 2019 16:02 #100492

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the photos, can you get a measurement from the end of the keel to the back end of the bottom and measure the length of the slope?
It looks like the back end is still a wet keel, does the rivet spacing change where the keel changes over from a dry to wet keel?
Can you see any type of water drain hole on the back end of the keel?

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2217
  • Latest Member:Shootrock
  • Total Posts:96.3k
  • Total Topics:7126
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:1
  • Yesterday Open:2
  • Today Answer:5
  • Yesterday Answer:6