Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special"

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 22 Jun 2019 22:24 #96656

Nice job!
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Art Doctor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 22 Jun 2019 12:32 #96645

Time for an update. I have been puttering around jumping back and forth on a few projects on the 'Special. I got the control box all painted up. It is Ford Mustang Wimbledon White for the cream and VHT branded Burnt Copper engine paint with dupli-color engine clear, all stuff I had on the shelf. Baked in my oven for 1 hour at 200* to cure and harden. Joe Poole came over as he is literally a down the road neighbor and helped me measure for new cables and set me up with new proper sized cowl brackets as well;

Lower unit is slowly getting back together. Joe again supplied some of the needed parts while others came from eBay. The drive shaft was polished lightly where the wear was (I bought a second used one but it was no better, will keep an eye out for NOS) and a new bushing (much tighter tolerance fit) was added (no bearing in these just a free floating bushing below the impeller) and NOS seal. I had Joe dig up several NOS Johnson seals as I felt the Sierra branded stuff in the reseal kit was a little lightweight. Well see how the new old rubber holds up, felt good and seems tight on the shafts. Also made a stepped drift rod from 5/16 stock on the grinder and pushed out the shift rod busing and changed the o-ring seal.

The prop shaft is almost ready to reinstall. I found NOS shaft, ball bearing, thrust washer and reverse gear bushing so far. Joe is getting me the last piece of the puzzle the tapered roller bearing and race.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, jabe

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 17 Jun 2019 03:06 #96515

• rushwal
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 577
The problem with a tach on these older motors is getting the signal from the motor to the display.

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 16 Jun 2019 04:39 #96488

• HawkEyes
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Thank you received: 696
I ment to say speedometer. The Speedo is fun to look at when you are cruising around at different speeds. Tachs are good to have so you know What RPM's you are running.
RPM's are important part of understanding what you motor is doing. Not having a tach, You could be leaving horsepower on the table and not knowing it.the RPM's and the pitch of the prop go hand and hand.
I am looking at different options to install a water pressure gauge on the hawk
You could put one of those in too. I want one a WPG so I know I am getting a good solid flow out of my tell tail all the times.

Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II. 1961 Merc 400

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 16 Jun 2019 04:10 #96487

• boatcrazy
  • Away
  • Ship's Cook
  • Ship's Cook
  • Thank you received: 481
You can polish the control box but it will oxidize pretty fast unless you clear coat it but that's putting paint on it it's would be easier to paint it

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 16 Jun 2019 03:57 #96486

I have seen the tachs and speedometers, are they useful to have? I do like the compass of the same style, do they have a clock that looks like that? I do like your wood dash. I was thinking also some sort of thin wood veneer or something that looked like the old twin cockpit corvette look, like two half moon shapes on each side not covering the Feather Craft Atlanta stamping in the middle. I hate looking at the holes but need to get things that make it go done first, when the right piece show up on eBay ill be ready to snag them, sold a few old car parts I was not going to use so my PayPal account is flush with what my wife likes to call "mad money".

Got my control mount done. I made a regular flat stock one out of regular metal to test the bends and I just did not like the look. It was this flat thing in a swoopy package and looked out of place. I had a few holes in the hull to work with already and a $16.00 trip to Metal Supermarket's cut offs room and literally all day cutting, drilling (including milling recessed angled mount holes using a drill press and wood spade bits) template making and remaking and head scratching yielded this floating mount:

Top mount is 1/4" thick 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle it is a bit overkill, bottom started off as 2" x 1/8" wall square tube. Its just the mock up install until I get the box in better looking shape and correct length hardware. I'm thinking of not painting the box now, it looks good there like it grew there. It is some sort of pot metal, I do not think it is aluminum. It might even polish up, anyone know?

The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 15 Jun 2019 23:44 #96463

• HawkEyes
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Thank you received: 696
You could put a tach over there. I had to go a little far to the left with mine. But looks good for me. I had to put in a 3-1/2" hole for this one

This message has an attachment image.

Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II. 1961 Merc 400
Last edit: by HawkEyes.

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 15 Jun 2019 11:12 #96425

Man those original holes look like they were made by an angry beaver! Your new steering wheel looks cool on your ship!

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 15 Jun 2019 03:27 #96423

• Boatboy
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Thank you received: 865
Those transom lifting handles should have countersunk fasteners.

John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 15 Jun 2019 02:24 #96414

The wheel is in! And I did use the gasket, dodged a bullet there.

Poor mans drilling jig:

I was able to reuse two existing holes and cover up a third unused one.

Now I have a lot of holes to deal with:

This one is ugly!

Chisel? Probably the same guy that use a drill to make the ugly one

Now I am looking for stuff to fill and cover these with. I am hoping to get a vintage compass to fill the big ugly one. The two small ones to the right of the wheel I figure will be start and choke and the one to the left could be for the running lights. I have on order some of the rivet screws to cover up the small pop rivet holes. So what do I put all the way on the left where the chisel cut is? Any ideas?

Next on order is some wood working so I pulled out my handles and braces that were buried in the leaves that were filling the boat at the estate sale. They need a good clean up, one brace has a chip that I think is OK but I do not see any cracks.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SeanDrives4Fun

1952 Deluxe Runabout
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2017
  • Latest Member:Cleathead
  • Total Posts:89.6k
  • Total Topics:6739
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:1
  • Yesterday Open:1
  • Today Answer:4
  • Yesterday Answer:7

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5580
VinTin 4762
sgower 4627
Eagle127 4607
Locomotion 3916
Boatboy 3761
BigBadJon 3390
unclbuz 2916
Carol 2905
Bikecop1 2577

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net