Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special"

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 08 Aug 2019 16:27 #98144

• scoot
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Thank you received: 156
AD. When I raised my motor (82 Johnson 35hp long shaft) 5" on my Vag. I added a length of aluminum plate to the steering bracket and bent the bracket in a downward arc so the steering cables would clear the tumblehome. The raised transom and steering bracket need some fine tuning but work as is. I had plenty of travel on my steering cables and springs to get maximum left to right turning travel .

Scoot

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: The Art Doctor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

56/7 Vagabond 1, 57Clipper

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 08 Aug 2019 14:29 #98142

• jmhyatt
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Thank you received: 354
This looks like a good application for some of the scrap metal I was trying to give away at Arrowhead this Spring. These are surplus parts that my company uses for mounting mapping cameras into airplanes. The gold-colored parts are machined aluminum. The larger silver sheet standing in back is 0.08" stainless steel. They're yours for the cost of shipping from Huntsville, AL. Or will be available at Arrowhead in the Fall, assuming I remember to put them in my car before leaving.

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkEyes, The Art Doctor, SeanDrives4Fun

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 08 Aug 2019 13:58 #98141

Ray, I was hoping you would post on this, pile away as my kids and others are going to be riding in this contraption of mine. You have given me an idea I did not think about. I have some left over aluminum square tube from the control box mount project that I will cut up and bolt to the mount. Once I get that added ill post up new pics. Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated,

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 08 Aug 2019 02:22 #98129

Not wanting to pile on but that is not safe, the manufacturer of those bolts will specify that you do not pull from the side.
A piece of unequal leg aluminum angle bolted to the bracket you have with one large hole in it that both cables can hook to will work well. You can have the cable angling up as much as possible to shorten up everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Art Doctor

Ray

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world."
Arthur Schopenhauer

1956 Vagabond I - 50 HP Johnson
1950 Flyer - 50 HP Evinrude
1/2-195something Flash - KG7
1956 Golden Rocket, Sawzall Special

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 08 Aug 2019 02:17 #98128

Yes, I can still tilt the motor up all the way. Certainly I want it to be safe, which is I posted what I did, knowing it is unconventional. This was my first effort and looking at it I think I will go back and shorten the eye bolts by an inch or so ( I have about that much in extra thread I can cut off) or as much as I can and keep the cables from hitting the underside of the gunwale. That will reduce the side loading somewhat but I still will come up with some sort of tie bar. Keep em coming.

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 08 Aug 2019 01:43 #98125

• VinTin
  • First Mate
  • First Mate
  • Thank you received: 1467

The Art Doctor wrote:

When I laid out the steering I was having issues with the cables/pulleys/springs interfering in the tumblehome area. There was just no room in there with the narrow transom and the rolled over decking. I could not get full lock to lock turning, parallel routing nor interference free action. This was mainly attributed to the fact that I raised the motor 3". The motor mounted pulleys just did not line up where they should have if it were lower. I would have had a very limited turning radius. So rather than lower the motor, I lowered the pulleys. I used 3/8" forged stainless eyebolts. These are heavy duty suckers and they are run up to contact the bottom of the steering arm on the motor so there is no deflection there. The motor pulleys can rotate all they want and this eliminates any binding. I have a tiny bit of flex apart at full lock when it hits the stops (really when the motor pulleys hit the cable clamps at the springs) and is under stress from the leverage of the steering wheel. I am not sure how often one would wheel the motor over full lock but I am going to devise a cross support near the eye to prevent any possible spread, probably a safety cable. It seems to work alright and there is no interference. Does this look acceptable?

The stainless mounting on the motor is going to see a lot more force than it is designed for due to the leverage involved.

Can you still tilt the motor up?

If the two I bolts were tied together it would resist forces a lot better but still not idea. A loss of steering can throw people out of the boat.

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: by VinTin.

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 08 Aug 2019 00:34 #98121

We have steering! Been a bit of a struggle, both in parts acquisition and setup.

I did not want the plastic pulleys with the hook that seem to be the only thing available commercially new, I wanted an all metal with a loop end. I fear the hook will pop off at the wrong time. So I went vintage eBay Mad Money purchase four matching Perko all brass pulleys. The cable is 3/16" OD vinyl coated braided stainless.

Rick G kindly let me have these cable guides he picked up on eBay when I mentioned a desire for a similar item in Jabe's DR thread. I had several holes there already and just had to add one more. I filled the extras with the stainless rivet look bolts from eBay.

When I laid out the steering I was having issues with the cables/pulleys/springs interfering in the tumblehome area. There was just no room in there with the narrow transom and the rolled over decking. I could not get full lock to lock turning, parallel routing nor interference free action. This was mainly attributed to the fact that I raised the motor 3". The motor mounted pulleys just did not line up where they should have if it were lower. I would have had a very limited turning radius. So rather than lower the motor, I lowered the pulleys. I used 3/8" forged stainless eyebolts. These are heavy duty suckers and they are run up to contact the bottom of the steering arm on the motor so there is no deflection there. The motor pulleys can rotate all they want and this eliminates any binding. I have a tiny bit of flex apart at full lock when it hits the stops (really when the motor pulleys hit the cable clamps at the springs) and is under stress from the leverage of the steering wheel. I am not sure how often one would wheel the motor over full lock but I am going to devise a cross support near the eye to prevent any possible spread, probably a safety cable. It seems to work alright and there is no interference. Does this look acceptable?

Fuel system is next. Dr Cheap hooked me up with a pressure tank that I have gone through and regasketed. I need to do lines on the motor and then it is time to find out if it runs or not. I will save electrical for last as I can always pull the cord and can power the bow light with portable cells. Need an aft light . Thinking of this on eBay but it is almost $80, any remarks?

This message has attachments images.

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 25 Jul 2019 10:35 #97675

• jabe
  • Captain
  • Captain
  • Thank you received: 1916
lookin good, your 30 turned out great ..................cant wait too see it on the water, we will need to compare notes once you do...............cheers,

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 24 Jul 2019 17:05 #97661

• jmhyatt
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Thank you received: 354
My 15-year-old son spent a week at Woodruff a month ago. Our troop goes there each summer, though I haven't been myself. I believe this summer they spent a day rafting on the Ocoee River. What a wonderful resource we are blessed to have in the SouthEast!

We had another nice family outing July 1-11. I turned 60 this year, and for my "birthday party", my family (wife & son) took a trip to Lake Konstanz in southern Germany. We rode bicycles about 155 miles around the perimeter of the lake over a 7-day period, staying in hotels along the way. Beautiful trip, and a good way to spend a couple weeks with the son before the "too cool" sets in - probably this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkEyes, The Art Doctor

Last edit: by jmhyatt.

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 24 Jul 2019 16:38 #97660

Locomotion wrote: Looking good!
The scout camping is great fun!
Did you get rained on?

Let me tell you a story. As a 10 year old I went to my first Webelo's Woods Weekend where it proceeded to rain for three straight days. Everything was wet, tent was wet inside, all the stuff we brought was wet, the stuff we had on was wet, the bedding was wet, it was awful and I never camped again until my son joined scouts 30 years later. Seriously I would not step foot in a tent for 30 years.

We had great weather, meaning dry no rain but it was a sweltering 95* plus all week long. It is a great place and they have their own cafeteria and lake, we did a white water raft excursion, all in all an good time and some father son bonding before he gets too cool to be seen with me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkEyes

1952 Deluxe Runabout
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2017
  • Latest Member:Cleathead
  • Total Posts:89.6k
  • Total Topics:6739
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:1
  • Yesterday Open:1
  • Today Answer:4
  • Yesterday Answer:7

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5580
VinTin 4762
sgower 4627
Eagle127 4607
Locomotion 3916
Boatboy 3761
BigBadJon 3390
unclbuz 2916
Carol 2905
Bikecop1 2577

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net