Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special"

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 12 Aug 2019 22:33 #98249

• HawkEyes
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Thank you received: 696

jabe wrote: oh yea, 41days, 1month, 10 days, 5 mondays and 10 days........but who is counting........:biggrin:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't... :biggrin:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II. 1961 Merc 400

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 12 Aug 2019 22:14 #98247

Got it, I need a bigger, deeper, bucket. I have to admit I was getting worried. I figured with all the spinning on the starter I should have seen some water and was not. I did grease the impeller well during assembly.

41 days, no problem......positive thoughts, positive thoughts.

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 12 Aug 2019 22:07 #98246

• jabe
  • Captain
  • Captain
  • Thank you received: 1916
oh yea, 41days, 1month, 10 days, 5 mondays and 10 days........but who is counting........:biggrin:
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkEyes

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 12 Aug 2019 21:08 #98241

• jabe
  • Captain
  • Captain
  • Thank you received: 1916
gettin there, just keep an eye on your pee hole, make sure ya got water coming out, them motors like it better for priming the pump with the water level up as close the the impeller as possible......

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 12 Aug 2019 20:32 #98240

So I got my bucket (I know kinda small but it fit under and was deep enough to cover the water intake).

Got some gas and oil mix in my regasketed Dr. Cheap provided pressure tank.

Stole the battery from my motorcycle........and I got nothing. Tried starting fluid, nothing. Tried some directly in the cylinders, still nothing.....WTF??? I tested it for spark in the garage before I hung it.......tried different stuff till the battery was good and hot and done. Went in dejected to dinner and read the shop manual as bedtime reading. I noted it stated that motors that sit may need the points cleaned. So the next day I took off the pull start to access the points port and what I saw lead to doing this:

It would have been nice if the shop manual let me know the flywheel was going to come off with a boom that sounded like gunfire, that sucker was on there good and tight! Good thing I have a strong air impact wrench. So I find what looks like new points and condensers and very old coils. The plug wires look original to me and these coils might be as well They tested OK on the high side but not on the low (plug wire) side. Wonder why I got spark in the garage? Either way, I emailed Joe Poole and he has what I need to get it back in shape. He has the parts and proper tools as well for setting the coils and points. I like collecting tools, lets one be independent.

Getting closer. How many days to Arrowhead?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, SeanDrives4Fun

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 10 Aug 2019 15:25 #98205

• unclbuz
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Thank you received: 729
I agree with Ray. I have used bar clamps and ratchet straps (around the whole thing) with some success. Definitely through bolt (everything that can be through bolted) though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Art Doctor

“Remember, never compare or compete; just enjoy!" - Carlos Santana

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief." - Gerry Spence

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 10 Aug 2019 12:20 #98195

That should spread the stress around enough and looks pretty cool too B)

The corner braces should through bolt, it is common to have to force the corner braces into position. I have had to use quite a bit of force at times, a couple of large C clamps clamped to the gunnel rail with aluminum angle or something under them to protect the rail can be used to help provide the leverage needed. If there are no existing bolt holes just drill all the way through from the existing holes in the brace to the transom sheeting
I know it seems like everything should just easily line up but they just don't, I have removed stuff like seats or bulkheads that didn't even seem to fit when it came time to reassemble :hmm:
The following user(s) said Thank You: unclbuz, The Art Doctor

Ray

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world."
Arthur Schopenhauer

1956 Vagabond I - 50 HP Johnson
1950 Flyer - 50 HP Evinrude
1/2-195something Flash - KG7
1956 Golden Rocket, Sawzall Special
Last edit: by Locomotion.

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 10 Aug 2019 01:03 #98186

Steering part Deux:

I started by replacing the spring loaded factory bracket attachment pin with a standard stainless 5/16" bolt and nylok nut. Way more positive attachment than the factory set up. It requires a wrench to remove so not quick-release but no big deal and a little anti-theft. Double cross braced with 1/8" 1" x 2" aluminum C channel on top and 1/8" 1" square aluminum tube on bottom. All through bolted to the factory stainless bracket using the forged stainless eye bots. Stout as all get out with no wiggle and no flex, zero. I wish it was 1/2" lower for a bit more cable clearance at the gunwale at full lock but it is not rubbing anywhere. I also flipped the springs and pulleys to get the cable clamp away from the motor pulleys at full lock.

First question: How tight should the cable be? Right now it is bow tight with a little spring pre-load that grows slightly as it nears full lock. It gets loose when you tilt the motor all the way up. I assume since it is new cable it may stretch.

Next question: Corner braces at transom. Are these to be through bolted? I do not think the top holes would go through the aluminum and there are no preexisting holes (my transom had a lot of holes welded up). I have the same issue needing to add a wedge to have full contact between the brace and the transom wood as others on here have had recently and will cut a piece of scrap to fit. I was thinking of using an eye bolt as one of the lower through bolts as an attachment point for a motor safety chain. Thoughts?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: unclbuz

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 08 Aug 2019 22:36 #98156

• HawkEyes
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Thank you received: 696
I am glad you posted those pics before you went out for a run.
I am a huge believer of building off of other ideas to come up with something that works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Art Doctor

Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II. 1961 Merc 400

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 08 Aug 2019 18:17 #98148

Hey Scoot, did you know you had a nut missing off your tilt tube?
The following user(s) said Thank You: scoot, The Art Doctor

Ray

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world."
Arthur Schopenhauer

1956 Vagabond I - 50 HP Johnson
1950 Flyer - 50 HP Evinrude
1/2-195something Flash - KG7
1956 Golden Rocket, Sawzall Special
Last edit: by Locomotion.
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2017
  • Latest Member:Cleathead
  • Total Posts:89.6k
  • Total Topics:6739
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:1
  • Yesterday Open:1
  • Today Answer:4
  • Yesterday Answer:7

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5580
VinTin 4762
sgower 4627
Eagle127 4607
Locomotion 3916
Boatboy 3761
BigBadJon 3390
unclbuz 2916
Carol 2905
Bikecop1 2577

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net