Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special"

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 27 Aug 2019 22:18 #98617

• jabe
  • Captain
  • Captain
  • Thank you received: 1916
there is certainly many varibles........process of elimination..........best to find most obvious, adjust, test, then if still not solved try the next ..........to do multi fixes at once, leaves unknowing wich fixed the problem............
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkEyes, The Art Doctor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 27 Aug 2019 20:26 #98612

• DrChip
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Thank you received: 173
:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Art Doctor

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 27 Aug 2019 03:31 #98602

• Boatboy
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Thank you received: 865
Your problem could also be caused by a bad condenser.

John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 27 Aug 2019 01:49 #98599

• HawkEyes
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Thank you received: 696
Glad you are getting her out.... Don't give up you will find the problems Larry :arrr:
I find myself very much more calm, collective and more focused working on the motor without the kids and wife on the boat. I do this until I have her tuned in and ready to go.
It sounds like chip is helping you out, nice job Dr
Cheap!

Remember running the boat with a "load" is very different than in the bucket.
Good luck, your almost there!

Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II. 1961 Merc 400

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 27 Aug 2019 01:24 #98598

Jabe, I checked that section in the manual and it kind of sounds like what I was experiencing could be caused by that. The manual said it could be extra smoky which it seems to be. I will look into this when I get some free time to play with it.

"It sounds like your motor is only running on one cylinder."
I also did think about this. When I had the cover off I felt both cylinders on the sides and the heads and they felt equally warm everywhere. Though with a small motor and water cooling I would imagine heat could transfer from one to another. At one point after we'd been at it a while I think the plugs might have been loading up. It sounded like it was only on one or possibly the vacuum activated cylinder cut-out was being activated. It only did this for a very short time while puttering in the no-wake. Otherwise it ran smooth, just would not rev. I have a twin motorcycle that occasional will drop a cylinder as it is dual carbed and sometimes one gets clogged and will be smooth with lower power, could be a cause here but that one always has a cold cylinder as it is air cooled. Will check spark at each plug, clean the plugs and use a laser temperature gun to confirm equal cyl temps.

It is hard to quantify but I swear it ran much better in the bucket. It didn't want to rev like it did in neutral from idle to half throttle. In the bucket it was snappy up and down. On the lake I had to baby it up and find a sweet spot and the idle was finicky and I had to give it more throttle to keep it from conking out even in neutral.

I will add we were getting plenty of tank pressure, so fuel feed does not seem to be a cause.

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 27 Aug 2019 01:06 #98596

• VinTin
  • First Mate
  • First Mate
  • Thank you received: 1467
This message contains confidential information

Boatboy wrote: It sounds like your motor is only running on one cylinder.

I wonder if checked if one of the spark plugs has a bent electrode?

That motor sounds slap happy.

Last edit: by VinTin.

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 27 Aug 2019 00:30 #98595

• Boatboy
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Thank you received: 865
It sounds like your motor is only running on one cylinder.

John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 26 Aug 2019 22:21 #98594

• jabe
  • Captain
  • Captain
  • Thank you received: 1916
glad ya got out.......it may be possible your linc-n-sinc is out......you will need to see if you have a lot of play in the carb linkages.........excess play will throw out the timing of mag advance and fuel delivery.........there is a brass plate/cam under the mag plate, this is what the roller rides on to open your throttle butterfly.........there is a line marked on the top side, hard to see with flywheel on........when advancing throttle the very instant your butterfly starts to open, the roller should be on the line marked........the plate is adjustable with 2 small bolts underneath........somethin worth looking into..........cheers.

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 26 Aug 2019 22:04 #98592

The first voyage......The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The Good:

Big thank you goes out to Dr Chip, he was free and I was inpatient so I rushed a few things together and we hit the lake together with the family this Sunday. I have never pulled a trailer so we met up at his place then followed him a quick trip down the road to the ramp. He helped get it in the water and was super patient while I tugged at the dam rope to get her fired. Part of the impatient was I did not have time to do a full battery install and wiring for a starting circuit.

She floats and not a drop of water seeped in the whole approximately 3 hours she was in the lake, amazing. I was very happy with the steering response, she really turns on a dime and handled well. Got to spend time with Chip and the family, cant beat good friend and family.

The Bad:
It just did not want to run over half throttle. We putted around in circles messing with needles and the choke knob but it really felt like the motor was stuck in neutral safety mode though in gear. A few times after slipping it in neutral then drive and throttling it up it kinda roared to life but mostly it just puttered along. It felt like a blockage of some sort though I could slowly rise the throttle and find a bit of a sweet spot where she would move decently but slowly. I took the hood off a few times and once did notice a piece out of place (the spring loaded arm that goes into the top of the rope starter and connects to the carb was out of its slot). I'm thinking it might have to do with advance and whatever pulls the throttle blade open. We'll figure it out.

The Ugly;

So we stopped to get the kids a snack. We had been puttering in a no wake and it died going slow several times but I was able to pull her to life each time. So after the break either I was pooped from pulling the rope or she was pooped from puttering but either way I could not get her going again. So we got the pull of shame.

In the end it was a good day, the kids and wife had fun even if they did not get to ride fast or stop and swim like they wanted to. The kids always enjoy a ride in Chip's boat. We have a few things to work out and a bunch of equipment to buy before we head out again. We met a lot of people on the lake who loved the boat including a pontoon that yelled "Feather Craft" at us and hooted and hollered waving.

What do they say about a bad day on the lake vs a good day at work..........

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, rushwal

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 26 Aug 2019 18:07 #98589

Sounds like a good runner. If you get much RPM in gear in a bucket/barrel that size you will find the water will leave the bucket very quickly.

1955 Vagabond
1956 30hp Evinrude Lark
1973 Glastron GT 150
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2017
  • Latest Member:Cleathead
  • Total Posts:89.6k
  • Total Topics:6739
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:1
  • Yesterday Open:1
  • Today Answer:4
  • Yesterday Answer:7

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5580
VinTin 4762
sgower 4627
Eagle127 4607
Locomotion 3916
Boatboy 3761
BigBadJon 3390
unclbuz 2916
Carol 2905
Bikecop1 2577

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net