Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special"

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 18 Oct 2019 12:21 #99861

Bikecop1 wrote: Was that on Lanier?

Yes, Lanier. That stretch of land was an island opposite the entrance cove to Margaritaville, The water seems pretty low as there was land where there should have been water between two "islands". Schools in Atlanta were close Friday and there were three other boats beached there, all pontoons with kids aboard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 18 Oct 2019 11:47 #99859

That is awesome! Time well spent with your daughter! Memories made!

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 18 Oct 2019 00:43 #99855

• HawkEyes
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Boatswain's Mate
  • Thank you received: 756
Good for you Larry, sounds like you had a good time.

Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II. 1961 Merc 400

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 17 Oct 2019 22:10 #99850

• Bikecop1
  • Away
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Thank you received: 573
Was that on Lanier?

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 17 Oct 2019 20:30 #99849

Managed our first daddy daughter solo run this past Friday, weather was good and the Lake Lanier water was still warm. No real running issues other than idling. Was feeling a lean surge and she just did not like to run down low. So I added a little to the low speed needle and it ran better but messed up the high speed, going back and forth a bit but finally think I have it working well on both ends of the scale. Made it back after three hours of fun time under our own power, good day.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jabe, HawkEyes

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 08 Oct 2019 11:02 #99601

That is awesome! Enjoy your boat!

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 08 Oct 2019 00:35 #99590

Well a lot has happened since the last post. Arrowhead was a great time, very excited to return. Hopefully I can stay longer next time

to rewind a bit, I finished putting the carb back together Tuesday morning, ran it in the bucket and called it good enough to leave for Arrowhead the next day. I arrived when everyone was out on a cruse and gave her a run....long story short I got pulled back in on the rope again, but no pics so I'm in the clear.

If you were there or not and have followed the Arrowhead threads you'd know I got her going and the final culprit was......wait for it....the silly gas tank. Merky loaned me his extra 4 gallon pressure tank and bam off to the races. I have yet to figure out what is wrong with mine but it must be either a collapsed fuel supply side of the twin hose or an obstruction in the quick release. I hope to get some water time later this week to mix and match some parts and see where the maladies lie.

Thanks for the pic Dee Dee

Lessons learned: I love this little boat and the great new group of friends I have made, she handles really well and was not nearly as rough a ride as so many said these boats can be, I need lots more practice at the helm, I really need to get some upholstery, I do not mind (at least in the warm weather) not having a windshield, she runs between 26 and 27mph all day long, Neil is like 0.5 MPH faster than me (I need to loose 40 lbs) Marc is like 9 MPH faster (no way to loose that much, need more hp?).

Still lots to do stay tuned......

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: alanbiltz, VinTin, jabe

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 22 Sep 2019 22:58 #99252

Jeff, No accelerator pump in these they are a very simple design. The accelerator pump in a car gives a shot or squirt of fuel to help overcome resistance to acceleration or a lean surge from a sudden depression of the throttle. What you experienced is exactly what I am feeling except that I cannot get over half no matter how slowly I raise the throttle. So either I am reaching some sort of stasis or equilibrium between a low rate of incoming fuel and achievable RPM at that fuel delivery rate or there is plenty of fuel to be had and its not lighting it off correctly through either weak spark or throttle to timing advance synchronization or ? The only thing that makes me think fuel delivery is that one brief moment where it actually ran well after fiddling with the tank priming pump. If I had more time I'd go back to the lake with a solvent spray bottle filled with premix and have a buddy spray it in the motor while I open the throttle.

I took the pressure tank apart today and all was in order. It has a new pick-up tube with a functioning one-way valve and a clean screen, the bleed off valve is operational and not stuck askew, and all gaskets and the diaphragm are new and it holds pressure. I did not think the problem was here but I had to take it apart and be sure.

I coated the float this morning and let it sit in the sun all afternoon to dry but it still smells lightly of solvent. I will let it dry again tomorrow in the sun and hopefully that will be long enough dry time and throw everything back together with the new needle and seat in the evening. Might have time for a bucket test but not sure if it will see the lake again before heading to Arrowhead on Wednesday.

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 22 Sep 2019 20:27 #99249

• jmhyatt
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Thank you received: 373
I know nothing about and have no experience with outboard carburetors, and very little experience with carbs in general. But your description of your problem reminds me of a problem I do remember having with a carburetor a few decades ago. As I recall, the carb had an "accelerator pump", a little rubber sheet/pump whose job was to squirt a bit of gas into the carb whenever the throttle is increased. Without it, when the butterfly opened the engine would temporarily be running too lean - until the vacuum from the increased RPMs caught up with the new bigger opening to the venturi. My pump was ruptured, and the engine would basically die whenever I increased throttle substantially, though I recall I could move the throttle very slowly and get the engine to speed up.

Do these engines have such an accelerator pump? Maybe that is just a lawnmower thing, or an old VW thing... I'm curious as much as anything...

Last edit: by jmhyatt.

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 22 Sep 2019 19:40 #99247

Will bring (I am sure) X-1 parts................

Maybe we'll get lucky.

There are voltage reducers that you can get at NAPA and probably online to drop that 12V battery voltage to 6V

See you at AH.

Merky

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2025
  • Latest Member:Jesspa
  • Total Posts:89.9k
  • Total Topics:6756
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:23
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:2
  • Today Answer:8
  • Yesterday Answer:18

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5589
VinTin 4770
sgower 4630
Eagle127 4615
Locomotion 3945
Boatboy 3778
BigBadJon 3404
unclbuz 2925
Carol 2905
Bikecop1 2580

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net