Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special"

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 21 Sep 2019 16:04 #99223

I called Joe Poole late yesterday and he has a needle and seat in stock and we discussed resealing the float with airplane dope as one is not going to get to me in time. I should have the needle and seat by this afternoon as he is just down the road from me, we are practically neighbors. I will try this next

Dan, I think the sinc is OK but I am green at this stuff. There was not the marks that the manual said it should have, or at least I did not see what it described. All I could see was a impressed line that seemed to line up with the follower wheel at low speed.

Alan, That is what I am thinking of doing, bypassing the disconnect. Talking with some guys this morning at our weekly old cars and donuts event one suggested a clear fuel filter added inline to be able to visually see what the fuel is doing and or adding an inline fuel pressure gauge to monitor how much it is pushing out.

Hoping to get it worked out, but now planning on bringing it to Arrowhead either way for all to scratch their heads over if I do not.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 21 Sep 2019 05:07 #99218

• VinTin
  • First Mate
  • First Mate
  • Thank you received: 1457
I haven't seen mag plate throttle synchronization mentioned. It's a critical adjustment. By all means bring it to Arrowhead and let us have a look.

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 21 Sep 2019 04:26 #99217

The quick release have o-rings in them that can wear or get nicked and when that happens it will drawl air and could make the fuel delivery erratic. I had a line go bad once, cracked and drawing air, so I ended up just putting the line on the motor without the quick release. It kept me off the rope of shame to get back to the pier at least. The incorrect amount of packing or old worn packing can be a issue for a no happy spot if it hasn't been changed or run in years. A starving for fuel at higher RPM if everything else is good at slow speed could be a float set too low. Just brainstorming with you, I hope the different tank will sort it out for you.

1955 Vagabond
1956 30hp Evinrude Lark
1973 Glastron GT 150

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 20 Sep 2019 22:22 #99210

Planning on dropping off daughter at school and heading up, should be there before or close to noon.

At one point or another I have been at those exact settings. My base was at 1 out each and I played from there. At this point I do not think it is needle adjustment I have tried them all, I do feel the problem must be elsewhere. Thus my tank/float/needle thinking.

Merky, would love to test a known tank to eliminate that possibility.

Just a thought, could there be an obstruction in the quick release fuel line? I took apart the tank end but not the engine end. I was thinking of bypassing it and running the hose direct to the barb on the motor and carb, just trying to eliminate possibilities one at a time.

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 20 Sep 2019 22:10 #99209

• jabe
  • Captain
  • Captain
  • Thank you received: 1897
what time wednesday you getting to Arrowhead, earlier the better

57' Fleet Ranger111-
57' Fleet Cartopper-
53' Deluxe Runabout-
56' Johnson's...Javelin, 2 x 30,15, and 7 1/2 hp
we have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children

uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/
Last edit: by jabe.

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 20 Sep 2019 22:04 #99208

• jabe
  • Captain
  • Captain
my experience.........set your needles........slow speed 1 1/2 turns out, fast speed 3/4 turn out.......tank test its gonna run.........if it runs, get out on the water........fast speed is your first adjustment at wide open.....when its warmed up....tune it in to happiness........i found all my 30's set in around 5/8 of a turn out........then you can adjust slow speed.......but not till after fast speed is happy.........then slow is a process in gear.......if you done all this, then the need to look elsewhere is next

57' Fleet Ranger111-
57' Fleet Cartopper-
53' Deluxe Runabout-
we have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 20 Sep 2019 21:55 #99207

Merky, I was fiddling with needles trying to get it to go. For the slow speed top needle it would idle OK and I could adjust leaner and get a bit more power till it would quit, then adjust richer and it would run. Opening it richer just made it terrible. High speed I tried everything from near full closed to two and half open, leaner was better to a point but neither helped.

Neil, I define fiddling with the tank to be opening the lid and checking for pressure, trying to run with the lid not on fully tight bleeding off some pressure, taking lid off and trying (that didnt work long), hitting the silver prime button and shaking it. (I think that was whet I did to make it run good)

I did notice if I throttle down to idle and then give it a go it will take off for a second then go flat, like it is running out of gas. Otherwise I could do a 1/3 throttle and just putt along. If i would edge it up to near half it would bog.

1952 Deluxe Runabout

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 20 Sep 2019 21:26 #99206

• jabe
  • Captain
  • Captain
bring it to Arrowhead, am sure with all the minds there we can get er solved for you......i have what tools i have to bring, i need to tinker when not cruising.........

57' Fleet Ranger111-
57' Fleet Cartopper-
53' Deluxe Runabout-

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 20 Sep 2019 21:13 #99204

• jabe
  • Captain
  • Captain
re-define fiddling with trhe tank........:hmm:

57' Fleet Ranger111-
57' Fleet Cartopper-
53' Deluxe Runabout-

1952 DR Restoration "the Marathon Special" 20 Sep 2019 21:11 #99203

I have a working OMC pressure tank that I can loan you to do an A/B comparison. Either you or Chip can swing by and pick it up. I may have a needle and seat assembly in my "possible box."

Where do you have your HS and LS needles set?

Merky

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1989
  • Latest Member:mullinsboats
  • Total Posts:88.9k
  • Total Topics:6692
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:6
  • Yesterday Answer:33

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5560
VinTin 4743
sgower 4626
Eagle127 4602
Locomotion 3884
Boatboy 3736
BigBadJon 3376
Carol 2905
unclbuz 2891
Bikecop1 2565

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net