Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Another restoration thread

Another restoration thread 16 Apr 2019 23:08 #94730

• jabe
  • Captain
  • Captain
  • Thank you received: 1608
Hey Mike welcome........i am in Ontario........Eh.........here is Bruceters Email for when the time comes........ This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ........
there are a few of us with Fleet FeatherCraft Ranger111's........i have a thread on my rebuild, of a very hacked Ranger......you may find some things in it that will help you along.......
Sean62 also has one that is 90% all there.........they are great boats to run, especially if your putting that 35 Johnson on it..........much nicer ride than them common Vagabonds (inside poke of fun)........they are all great.........
every Fleet Ranger i have come accross seem too carry some simular issue's you need to check out.......
the center (single) transom brace all seem to be cracked on the top 1 1/2 ........this needs addressing for strength........
also check underneath the hull along the edge where the fore cockpit front seat support is......seen cracks there as well........
most of all have fun making her your own........
cheers, Jabe
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, HawkEyes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

57' Fleet Ranger111-
57' Fleet Cartopper-
53' Deluxe Runabout-
56' Johnson's...Javelin, 2 x 30,15, and 7 1/2 hp
we have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children

uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/

Another restoration thread 16 Apr 2019 15:40 #94716

Now that is really good to know! Being able to pick period correct bits and bobs for the boat allows us to customize it to our liking, for the most part. I'm fencing today and maybe tomorrow but after that I'm going to make a run to the local used boat parts store to see what they have from the 50s. Hoping that they have some interesting stuff that I might be able to use. I think after that I'm going to touch base with Bruceter to see what he has to offer.
Wow Rick! Those are amazing etched parts!! Really nice quality. Once I get to the detailing stage I'll have to touch base.!
Cheers,
Mike

Another restoration thread 16 Apr 2019 01:09 #94702

^^^^^What Rick said^^^^^
Most boats had everything installed by dealers, not the manufacturer, so anything period correct would be fine.
You have a few Canadian friends to get up with. Beware of them all....B)

Love and a .45--one will kill you one will keep you alive.
"God gives me grace and the Devil gives me style"
1954 Vagabond 40HP Lark IV
1953 Deluxe Runabout
1956 Crestliner Commodore 10HP Sportwin
1962 Lonestar Holiday
1994 Landau 50HP Honda (BBJ)

Another restoration thread 15 Apr 2019 22:07 #94695

• RickG
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 545
Welcome Mike... Yes, these boats typically have 5/32" Brazier head rivets ...no idea how many :) . The 3/16" Modified Braziers are the same head size and use the same set. I've found that when replacing any, particularly below the water line, if I upsized to the 3/16" ones, they look the same but I could be sure that they were snug in the drilled hole and would be water tight. Drilled out 5/32" ones sometimes ended up being looser than I was comfortable with. Not sure about a Canadian supplier, but I buy them here: Jay-Cee Sales and Rivet. I believe they ship to Canada.

There are reproduction castings available from a member here on your side of the border, 'Bruceter'. As Marc mentioned, Ebay is a good place to look for hardware. Most of the lights, cleats, windshields, etc. on these boats were dealer installed, and so 'original' can be variable.

I too needed bow emblems. I think you're correct that the originals were stamped but, not being in that business, I had to find an easier, and less expensive way. If you click the 'etched parts' link in my signature you can see what I can provide. You can also order a replica of your missing Fleet Feather Craft capacity tag from another member, 'JBCurt00'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat; I'm going out to sea." - Lyle Lovett
'54 Vagabond - '55 Mark 55
'59 Crestliner Jetstreak - '60 Merc 300
Etched Panels & Plates
Last edit: by RickG.

Another restoration thread 15 Apr 2019 21:58 #94691

• Boatboy
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Ship's Engineer
  • Thank you received: 761
Perko sells retro combination bow lights that many of us have on our boats.

John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

Another restoration thread 15 Apr 2019 16:03 #94686

Welcome aboard Mike. Wish I could help with some of your questions, but I don't know squat about these boats, except they are COOL. But pretty much everyone else here does. I do know those cleats on your boat are bad to the bone, I like them!

I do like the looks of a ranger too, it sounds like you are on your way to a very nice looking boat. And you got a nice box of cool stuff too.
EBay for your bow light.
Make sure you post pics and document. This is a great place for your documentation for you and others.
Good luck, have fun. We will be on stand-by.. :cookie:

Mercury Marc, No trailer Queen here! 1958 Hawk II, 1961 Merc 400 x2, 1955 Mark 25E. 1953 Mark 20

Another restoration thread 15 Apr 2019 15:22 #94685

Oh and does anyone know where a person can get rivets here in Canada for the boat? I believe they are the brazier / modified brazier type? Originally 5/32 size? How many rivets are in one of these boats in total? I have tooling, anvils, clecos, spring drills, etc, for 1/8, 5/32 and 3/16 rivets. I think I'm pretty much all set up to start riveting.
Did I mention I'm pretty excited to get started on this?
Mike

Another restoration thread 15 Apr 2019 15:11 #94683

Thanks all for the warm welcome!
I think you're right about it being from Canada (I am as well. Calgary, Alberta to be exact). as I believe the badge on the front has Erie Ontario on it. Not positive because I am away from the boat right now but remember seeing it. It's quite faded though. I'm already thinking about making a die for the emblem and making aluminum stamped versions of the logo for the hull. Would like to get the boat water ready first though cause fishing season is quickly approaching and I'm chomping at the bit to get started.
I ended up getting a bunch of riveting tools from a fellow in Ontario that was willing to ship them to me so I should be ready to start drilling and replacing! This should be an interesting build because I tend to get a bit carried away once I get going on a project. I'm looking forward to getting started.
I did search the transom (even removed the wood on the back) but didn't find any stamps. It looks like the badge for the boat was there at one point but is gone now.
Lucky for me, most of the hardware in the boat is stainless steel. There must some metal in there because I'm seeing some rust in the seams of the boat so I'm going to have to figure that out for sure.
A few things I'm going to be looking for is a badge for the motor, a new bow light, a bow grab handle, side cleats and maybe a couple restored images of the dash so I know what the original looked like. I have a couple of steering wheels but am unsure which, if either, are original. I see that there is a place to get the windshields (curved versions) but is there anywhere we can source the mounts for it? Maybe even how these can be made or what the heck they originally looked like.
Anywho ... really looking forward to getting started. Going to head out to a used/parts boat store tomorrow to see if there is anything I can use for the boat. Fingers crossed they have at least some of what I need. It'll be fun to be checking it out at least.
Here are a couple other photos of what I'm in for.
Cheers,
Mike

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Another restoration thread 15 Apr 2019 13:58 #94682

• nsul8r25
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 763
Welcome and congrats.

You definitely have a Fleet Feather Craft Ranger III (built in Canada)...either a 1956 or 57. It will not have a hull number stamped on the transom like the Atlanta built boats do. Look for a square tag attached to the transom wood, but chances are it has been removed. You have a great boat there and a lot of parts to put it back tpgether!probably won't need much! First things first, make sure to remove all the steel hardware, it will react with the aluminum and corrode, replace with stainless steel bolts, nuts, washers, etc.

Don't be afraid to ask for assistance, you have found a group eager to help in any way!

'58 Vagabond II / '56 Evinrude Lark 30hp
'53 Experimental Flyer / '56 Evinrude Big Twin 30hp
'51 Penguin / '49 Johnson TD20 5hp
'52 Cheif / 1957 Johnson FD11 18hp

Another restoration thread 15 Apr 2019 13:48 #94681

Bikecop1 wrote: Welcome aboard The registration numbers look Canadian??? maybe. Could be a Fleet feathercraft.

The gunnel rails look like the Fleet Feather Crafts.

Ray

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world."
Arthur Schopenhauer

1956 Vagabond I - 50 HP Johnson
1950 Flyer - 50 HP Evinrude
1/2-195something Flash - KG7
1956 Golden Rocket, Sawzall Special
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1855
  • Latest Member:dick@elliott-elliott.com
  • Total Posts:84.6k
  • Total Topics:6489
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:1
  • Today Answer:13
  • Yesterday Answer:12

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5165
sgower 4571
VinTin 4569
Eagle127 4522
Boatboy 3578
Locomotion 3567
BigBadJon 3215
Carol 2900
unclbuz 2767
Bikecop1 2517

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net