Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 17 Feb 2021 00:35 #109830

VinTin wrote:

MercuryMarc wrote:
Last question. I understand the numbers you right on the bottom hull but what's with the black squares you mark around the numbers?

I think I will look over my new hull very closely before just slapping some plywood in and calling it good.

I bet those squares guide the helper in positioning her block of wood.

Great photo by the way:

Most defiantly on both accounts, each square is the size of the 4x4, and truly a great pic of a trooper missus helping out
The following user(s) said Thank You: MercuryMarc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 17 Feb 2021 00:26 #109829

MercuryMarc wrote:
Last question. I understand the numbers you right on the bottom hull but what's with the black squares you mark around the numbers?

I think I will look over my new hull very closely before just slapping some plywood in and calling it good.

I bet those squares guide the helper in positioning her block of wood.

Great photo by the way:

Just getting used to the lay of this land.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 16 Feb 2021 23:23 #109828

Charlie, that helm looks awesome! Nice work. Can't wait to see the finished goods.

Ray, I got a little lost on the really fine details, but I got what's going on.

So how do you think the factory would have messed up something so big?

I am no expert, but if I had to guess the worker riveted the T brace to the transom first then riveted the bottom sheet. Watched the bottom flex up, then the 5 O'clock bell rang and off he went.
Ray do you think the 4 transom braces get riveted in last, as far as the transom area goes?

Click the link below for information on vintage Mercury restorations

Mercury Restorations

1957 Clipper / 1969 Merc 1000
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, boatcrazy

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 16 Feb 2021 19:41 #109826

I haven't got started on the steering wheels yet it's been to cold to do any painting but I will do my best to make them look brand new I really like to work on steering wheels but to have something I did on one of your boats makes it even cooler thanks again man
Charlie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locomotion, BigBadJon, alanbiltz, VinTin, jabe, MercuryMarc

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 16 Feb 2021 19:32 #109825

Thanks Ray for letting me be part of your latest build here are some pics of the helm I have been working on

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Locomotion, BigBadJon, scoot, jabe, MercuryMarc

Last edit: by boatcrazy.

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 16 Feb 2021 17:08 #109824

This is where the big clamp comes in, if you try to just hammer the bottom flat everything flexes with the blows and nothing really moves, you can hit it hard enough to dent it if you really whale on it but that’s not what you want, here you want to straighten the top of that T extrusion that is riveted to the bottom sheet and bend the bottom sheet at the same time to make it a straight flat surface. I set the clamp up so that the main pressure spans the rivets holding the top of the T, the board under the end of the front side of the clamp has just enough pressure to move the more flexible part of the bottom, this is all sitting right on top of one of the main stringers. The transom Aluminum sheeting is 1-1/2 times the thickness of the bottom sheeting and has that T extrusion riveted to it so it pretty easily resists bending, I already have the transom wood in place and it’s beefed up to 2” thick on the outside to help hold the extra weight of the OMC looper, that’s what I am pushing against with the big clamp, the outer transom wood resting directly on the wood of the sawhorse table.

This clamp pretty easily moves everything into the correct position although it takes a lot of pressure to get it there, to give you an idea of scale, the threaded rods are 5/8”, and the boards are 4” X 4”, I tighten the rod nearest the hull first keeping the clamp squared up with the hull by adjusting the rod away from the hull as I go, between the two rods the amount of pressure is significant. If you just push it into place and then release the pressure it all just springs back into place. That could be overcome by heating the aluminum but that seem has a gasket and sealer under it so heat there is not a good thing. The other solution is impact under pressure, the shock of the impact when the parts are under pressure must be like coining a metal, I’m sure it also moves the metal further than the clamp has pushed it but I moved it beyond flat without the impact and it still sprung back, the shock does the trick.

So now it is on to putting the transom braces back in and seeing how much they are out of position, I’m sure I will have to add rivets to the upright section because that has to have moved quite a bit and the original rivets are not going to hold as well once they have been re-drilled.
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, jabe, MercuryMarc

Last edit: by Locomotion.

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 16 Feb 2021 17:04 #109823

The 4 big transom braces in the 1956 Rockets are a great design in my opinion but they were certainly not going to allow the bottom of this hull to be adjusted, so out they came.

The back edge where the bottom sheet of the hull and the transom are joined on the 56 and later Rockets and Vagabonds and on some of the earlier Feather Craft racing hulls like my 1950 Flyer is a great design as it creates these trim tabs that are actually a continuation of the bottom sheet and that produces a straight and sharp trailing edge, something that is very desirable for speed and handling when everything is straight and flat. To tie the bottom sheet into the transom they used a T shaped extrusion with the top of the T riveted to the bottom sheet with two rows of rivets and the stem of the T riveted to the transom sheet. This created a very strong joint with that sharp trailing edge. This photo shows the double row of rivets through the T at the rear edge of the bottom.

This is T riveted to the transom sheet.

Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 16 Feb 2021 17:00 #109822

That's one bad ass C clamp. How do you know the flaw won't just pop back into it's oringal shape?
Click the link below for information on vintage Mercury restorations

Mercury Restorations

1957 Clipper / 1969 Merc 1000
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 16 Feb 2021 16:56 #109821

For those times when the biggest c clamp in the tool box is just not enough.

This boat must have been a Monday morning or Friday afternoon build, the bottom has a pretty major flaw built into it that might have been part of the reason someone decided it was a good candidate to be converted to a fishing boat. The bottom had a rocker built into it at the very back edge, it doesn’t look too massive in this photo but the bottom was about 3/16” lower than the rear edge of the transom. This would make this boat want to porpoise at just about any speed once it is on plane.

Someone had tried to manage the porpoising by bending the trim tabs down, you can see the teeth marks from where they used a pipe or adjustable wrench to bend the tab.

The following user(s) said Thank You: oldlure, MercuryMarc

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 16 Feb 2021 16:48 #109820

Thanks to RickG I now have a steering wheel for the Rocket.

Thanks to Charlie I will have a painted steering wheel!

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: boatcrazy

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2356
  • Latest Member:Ranger3rob
  • Total Posts:100k
  • Total Topics:7343
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:1
  • Yesterday Answer:3