Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 02 Apr 2021 19:59 #110801

5' X 10' sheet 5052 Aluminum, 0.063" thick, it's an accomplishment to make it home with this without damaging it in a short bed pickup.  

Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 31 Mar 2021 20:23 #110715

Jpalin, I think you may be right, I was down at Nicks today getting even more measurements off his Rocket and we talked about the emblems, he has put Red lettering on his and he believes they were Red when he bought the boat in the early 60's.
This is how his look now. 

Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

This message has an attachment image.

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 31 Mar 2021 20:10 #110714

RickG post=108262 wrote: From the reading I've been doing, stripping and re-anodizing is pretty commonly done with good results. Naturally, a small amount of material thickness is lost, but that shouldn't matter here.

Also, the most plausible explanation I've found for the black text over anodizing is that it may have been screen printed before the final sealing. This would have 'topped up' the anodized 'pores' with the black ink before the sealing process encapsulated everything. I'm wondering if the black under the rivets is not there because those spots were protected, but rather, it may have been part of the screen design to indicate where to drill?

Here is my hypothesis: I think these were completely back anodized with white (or some other color) screened lettering over it. If you think about it, the black you see is the anodizing that was protected with whatever paint was used for the lettering that has flaked off over time but protecting what was under it. The black under the rivet holes further supports that theory. How I would redo that is to re-anodize them and just use a vinyl painters mask to paint the color you want for the lettering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MercuryMarc

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 08 Mar 2021 15:31 #110257

Locomotion wrote: Adding couple of more comments on trying to tighten old rivets; the best way is to do it like it was done originally by using a rivet gun and a bucking bar.
The best way I have found without a rivet gun was to hold a heavy weight bar with a recess in it that closely matches the head of the rivet against the head and hit the formed head using a flat drift and a hammer. Either approach has to be done carefully or you will smash the formed head too thin and it will lose holding power, if the formed head is too thin it will just pop off a small section that looks like a thin washer. If you just use a flat drift or a hammer to the rounded head or the formed head without something backing up the other side you will certainly be loosening the fastener and can easly put a dent in the sheeting the rivet is holding.

Thanks Ray, I will fill up the boat with water to see what has to be done first, then go from there. I do not want to do anything stupid to the rivets.
Click the link below for information on vintage Mercury restorations

Mercury Restorations

1957 Clipper / 1969 Merc 1000
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 08 Mar 2021 14:23 #110254

Adding couple of more comments on trying to tighten old rivets; the best way is to do it like it was done originally by using a rivet gun and a bucking bar.
The best way I have found without a rivet gun was to hold a heavy weight bar with a recess in it that closely matches the head of the rivet against the head and hit the formed head using a flat drift and a hammer. Either approach has to be done carefully or you will smash the formed head too thin and it will lose holding power, if the formed head is too thin it will just pop off a small section that looks like a thin washer. If you just use a flat drift or a hammer to the rounded head or the formed head without something backing up the other side you will certainly be loosening the fastener and can easly put a dent in the sheeting the rivet is holding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, oldlure, MercuryMarc

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 07 Mar 2021 19:03 #110232

Ray I'm afraid your work will make my work look bad so I'm trying my best to make sure our work looks great together
Charlie
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, jabe

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 07 Mar 2021 17:12 #110231

MercuryMarc wrote: Ray, do you re-buck all the rivets on the hull? I thought it might be a good idea before I do anything to my boat, but I don't have a rivet gun eather.

Hey Marc,

I don't re-buck every rivet at all, if they look tight and are not leaking I don't touch them.
I fill the boat with water and look for leaks. On this hull there was just three places that were leaking and those spots someone had already tried to tighten the rivets but I think they just made things worse. I drilled out the over smashed rivets and put in new then used G-Flex epoxy on the seams.
On both my Flyer and mine and Dan's Flash I tightened or replaced every rivet on the bottom of both boats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MercuryMarc

Last edit: by Locomotion.

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 07 Mar 2021 16:17 #110228

Ray, do you re-buck all the rivets on the hull? I thought it might be a good idea before I do anything to my boat, but I don't have a rivet gun eather.
Click the link below for information on vintage Mercury restorations

Mercury Restorations

1957 Clipper / 1969 Merc 1000
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 07 Mar 2021 15:50 #110227

Charlie is putting the pressure on with all this polishing, now I'm under the gun to make everything look that good :-(

I'm getting tired of looking at this thing looking like this, but I will say it's starting to look faster to me the longer I hammer and rivet around on it ;-)

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, boatcrazy, jabe

Last edit: by Locomotion.

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 05 Mar 2021 22:11 #110188

Here are some pics of the other helm I'm working on for Ray
I have all of Ray's parts polished now it's time to start on the 2 steering wheels
Charlie

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jabe, MercuryMarc

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2356
  • Latest Member:Ranger3rob
  • Total Posts:100k
  • Total Topics:7343
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:1
  • Yesterday Answer:3