Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 26 Oct 2020 03:01 #108313

Has anybody tried pealaway 1? Sold as a paint remover but its just lye. It's a strong base like oven cleaner but in convenient paste form. Just curious as it's a leave it and come back to it later product vs scrubbing.
1952 Deluxe Runabout 1956 Johnson 30hp 1959 Deluxe Clipper 1973 Merc 500 50hp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 25 Oct 2020 00:42 #108292

Hey Thacker, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd appreciate it if you'd post pics of your results and a description of how you did it.
"friends to the end."- Russ Cleaton

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 24 Oct 2020 18:10 #108288

Thanks for the additional information. I think I have been too gentle. I will try again when the sun comes back out with aggressive scotch bright. If my boat did not have a name on both sides, I still would leave it as is. Thanks again.

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 24 Oct 2020 17:31 #108287

First, all of this stuff is dangerous to use, I would only use it outside and use eye and skin protection and have running water readily available in case of accidental exposure to skin or eyes. Even outside be cautious about breathing the fumes.
The first application of oven cleaner takes most of the gold right off but leaves a semi clear coating on that I couldn’t get off without using multiple applications of the oven cleaner and the abrasive scrubbing pads and a lot of elbow grease. Hot sun helps but the abrasion seemed to do the most.
You can tell if the anodizing is completely gone by how the abrasive pads feels on the aluminum, if it sort of glides over the aluminum there is still anodizing left, if you feel resistance like the pad is actually cutting in then the anodizing is gone.
The Draino has sodium hydroxide in it, that has a chemical reaction to the anodizing and helped get the last of it off but that too needed the help of the abrasion.
I think the sodium hydroxide might be better than the oven cleaner if you could find it in a solution where you could safely spray it on the aluminum in a strong enough solution but that’s pure speculation on my part.
I really expect to do some sanding with 600 or finer to get the swirl marks down to where they are less than the marks left by the Brillo pads. I like the brushed aluminum look the Brillo pads leave anyway but you could polish them out if you wanted to.
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, Thacker

Last edit: by Locomotion.

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 24 Oct 2020 16:51 #108286

Looks great and thanks for the step by step explanation of what you used. I’m struggling to get the blue off of my 57. I did not want to strip but, decided it would look much better. I’ve spent hours in the sun with heavy duty Easy Off but, I’m making very little progress. I’ve been using finer off brand Scotch Bright. Do you think that may be the issue? Also, what does the Draino solution do? Are the Scotch Bright swirls difficult to remove? I’ve read about anodize removal on several posts here but, can’t seem to duplicate the results.

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 24 Oct 2020 13:04 #108280

It took 6 cans Heavy Duty EZ Off, IN THE SUN, using very aggressive green scotch bright pads, then a full once over with a weak mixture of Draino and water with the scotch bright pads, then Brillo pads.
It still needs the swirl marks from the scotch bright pads polished out a bit but it’s good to start the rebuild.
Gotta clean out the shop first :-)
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, MercuryMarc

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 24 Oct 2020 03:02 #108277

What did you end up using, oven cleaner? How many cans did it take, if you used oven cleaner?
Click the link below for information on vintage Mercury restorations

Mercury Restorations

1957 Clipper / 1969 Merc 1000
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 23 Oct 2020 20:10 #108271

Well it's golden no more, what a JOB!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, VinTin, jabe

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 23 Oct 2020 16:43 #108262

• RickG
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Thank you received: 988
From the reading I've been doing, stripping and re-anodizing is pretty commonly done with good results. Naturally, a small amount of material thickness is lost, but that shouldn't matter here.

Also, the most plausible explanation I've found for the black text over anodizing is that it may have been screen printed before the final sealing. This would have 'topped up' the anodized 'pores' with the black ink before the sealing process encapsulated everything. I'm wondering if the black under the rivets is not there because those spots were protected, but rather, it may have been part of the screen design to indicate where to drill?
"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat; I'm going out to sea." - Lyle Lovett

'54 Vagabond - '55 Mark 55
Etched Panels & Plates
Speedometers

1956 Golden Rocket lightweight version 22 Oct 2020 22:55 #108255

May plan was to redo and reuse the originals but I can easily make some replacements to experiment on if you like, I will not need these for a while, optimistically shooting for Arrowhead.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2356
  • Latest Member:Ranger3rob
  • Total Posts:100k
  • Total Topics:7343
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:3