Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The 55 Vagabond is home and the restoration begins

The 55 Vagabond is home and the restoration begins 06 Jun 2016 22:26 #61769

• RickG
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 545
Congratulations Jay, After a session with some NAPA aluminum brightener and the pressure washer that ought to look pretty good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat; I'm going out to sea." - Lyle Lovett
'54 Vagabond - '55 Mark 55
'59 Crestliner Jetstreak - '60 Merc 300
Etched Panels & Plates

The 55 Vagabond is home and the restoration begins 06 Jun 2016 21:23 #61767

• nsul8r25
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 763

jmhyatt wrote: Nice catch! A gallon of bleach and she'll look like new! I wish my hull looked that good. I want the steering pulleys and drain...

I tried to bring my boat/trailer home on a U-Haul too, but I made the mistake of attempting to rent their car-hauler. The morning I was going to get my boat, they started asking me for all these details at the counter about the car I was going to haul with their trailer. I was lying through my teeth:

"1964 Ford Falcon"
"Convertible or hard-top?"
"Convertible"
blah blah blah...
"4-cylinder or 6-cylinder"
"6 cylinder"
"That car is too heavy for this trailer"

So then I tried to come clean: "OK, I'm really planning to put a small aluminum boat with its trailer on your trailer, to pull it home."

That didn't go over very well with the [expletives deleted] behind the counter. She wouldn't rent me the trailer, so I ended up taking my chances and pulling it home on its own trailer (which I considered much more dangerous than using the U-Haul). I got lucky...

I ran into a situation with U-Haul once. Needed to get a 2001 Grand Prix home after the power steering pump went out and threw the serpentine belt on my wife. I took a site work truck home to tow it, booked a U-Haul and filled out all the paperwork online the night before. I thought the truck was a 2002, ended up being a 2001 F-250 V-8 with the factory towing package. When I arrived at the rental facility, I didn't even think twice and told them I was mistaken, it was actually a 2001, not 2002. I was told that it was not authorized to tow. It met their requirements for weight difference and had all the proper tow equipment. I asked why and the qualified keyboard puncher had no answer. This is what that truck was built to do! But, Nope no rental.

I cam across someone while purchasing a truck a few months later that had a U-Haul rental location. Told him the story and he laughed and explained that U-Haul freaked out when the Firestone controversy came out with the Explorers and said that the original equipped F-250 probably had Firestones on it and they had rubberstamped a lot of denials if that was the case. He had seen where some were denied renting those 4x4x4 covered trailers because of that very reason. When laziness and stupidity mix, you get a policy writer at U-Haul. Last time I bothered with those idiots :arrr:

'58 Vagabond II / '56 Evinrude Lark 30hp
'53 Experimental Flyer / '56 Evinrude Big Twin 30hp
'51 Penguin / '49 Johnson TD20 5hp
'52 Cheif / 1957 Johnson FD11 18hp

The 55 Vagabond is home and the restoration begins 06 Jun 2016 17:08 #61758

• jabe
  • Captain
  • Captain
  • Thank you received: 1608
looks great, nice to see its all there.............have fun
The following user(s) said Thank You: LakeHead

57' Fleet Ranger111-
57' Fleet Cartopper-
53' Deluxe Runabout-
56' Johnson's...Javelin, 2 x 30,15, and 7 1/2 hp
we have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children

uppercanadachapteroftheaomci.yolasite.com/

The 55 Vagabond is home and the restoration begins 06 Jun 2016 16:38 #61753

• sgower
  • Dreaded Pirate Roberts
  • Dreaded Pirate Roberts
  • riveted by design...
  • Thank you received: 1048
Can the windshield be cleaned and rubbed out? It looks different from other windshields that I have seen.

The 1955 Vagabonds are my favorite, of course I am a little partial, but it is the boat that launched a website...

Last edit: by sgower.

The 55 Vagabond is home and the restoration begins 06 Jun 2016 16:30 #61751

jmhyatt wrote: Nice catch! A gallon of bleach and she'll look like new! I wish my hull looked that good. I want the steering pulleys and drain...

I tried to bring my boat/trailer home on a U-Haul too, but I made the mistake of attempting to rent their car-hauler. The morning I was going to get my boat, they started asking me for all these details at the counter about the car I was going to haul with their trailer. I was lying through my teeth:

"1964 Ford Falcon"
"Convertible"
blah blah blah...
"6 cylinder"

So then I tried to come clean: "OK, I'm really planning to put a small aluminum boat with its trailer on your trailer, to pull it home."

That didn't go over very well with the [expletives deleted] behind the counter. She wouldn't rent me the trailer, so I ended up taking my chances and pulling it home on its own trailer (which I considered much more dangerous than using the U-Haul). I got lucky...

Wow!!! thats a funny story..lol. The 6'x12' open trailers are only $29.99 per day... so its not bad at all.. i went ahead and booked it for two days so I didn't have to worry about getting it back so early the next morning.

The 55 Vagabond is home and the restoration begins 06 Jun 2016 15:54 #61743

• VinTin
  • First Mate
  • First Mate
  • Thank you received: 1303
Looks great.

Congratulations!
The following user(s) said Thank You: LakeHead

The 55 Vagabond is home and the restoration begins 06 Jun 2016 15:53 #61742

• jmhyatt
  • Away
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Thank you received: 273
Nice catch! A gallon of bleach and she'll look like new! I wish my hull looked that good. I want the steering pulleys and drain...

"1964 Ford Falcon"
"Convertible"
blah blah blah...
"6 cylinder"

The 55 Vagabond is home and the restoration begins 06 Jun 2016 15:10 #61740

few more...

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by LakeHead.

The 55 Vagabond is home and the restoration begins 06 Jun 2016 15:09 #61739

Thanks to "Wet Willie" for spotting this and posting it on the site....Dad and I got it home this weekend and everything looks great..it does have two cracks in the stringers that ill post later...

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1855
  • Latest Member:dickelliott
  • Total Posts:84.6k
  • Total Topics:6489
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:1
  • Today Answer:14
  • Yesterday Answer:12

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5165
sgower 4572
VinTin 4569
Eagle127 4522
Boatboy 3578
Locomotion 3567
BigBadJon 3215
Carol 2900
unclbuz 2767
Bikecop1 2517

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net