Topic

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 10 Dec 2015 01:17 #54918

seaforrest wrote: I have to figure out how to get them out. That will be the weekend project. I know we have a marine boat store. Have passed it many times. I think I will pay visit to see they can be of local assistance.

I also have some of the wood trim that was adhered with finishing nails and adhesive. It is completely stubborn unless I take a crowbar to it, which would cause damage to the boat. I will attach a photo. Any suggestions for loosening this would be appreciated.

End nipper pliers work well to get a grip on nails.
www.google.com/search?q=end+nipper+plier...IZA&biw=1680&bih=913

Once you get enough nail to get a grip on put some vice grip pliers.

www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-heavy-duty-end-nipper-38496.html
1958 Vagabond, 1954 Vagabond, 1958 Rocket Runabout, 1958 Clipper, 1950 Fire Fly, 1953 Flyer, 1954 Deluxe Runabout, 1956 Alumacraft Cruiseabout, 1956 Alumacraft Merrie 16, 1958 Alumacraft Queen Merrie, 1956 Alumacraft Deep C, 1958 Alumacraft Deep C, 1951 Alumacraft Model R, 1956 Alumacraft FD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seaforrest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 10 Dec 2015 01:13 #54917

sorry didnt see the second half of your reply, do you know what adhesive was used, there are certain solvents that will loosen old glues, i am sure others here would know better what you can or not use because of reaction to the aluminium.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 10 Dec 2015 00:54 #54915

many ways, vise grips on the heads and try to un screw with wrench or aother set of vice grips on th nut, if that dosent work, i have ground down the head to a flat spot then drilled out the shank.. not sure if this will help you

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 10 Dec 2015 00:48 #54914

I have to figure out how to get them out. That will be the weekend project. I know we have a marine boat store. Have passed it many times. I think I will pay visit to see they can be of local assistance.

I also have some of the wood trim that was adhered with finishing nails and adhesive. It is completely stubborn unless I take a crowbar to it, which would cause damage to the boat. I will attach a photo. Any suggestions for loosening this would be appreciated.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by seaforrest.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 09 Dec 2015 23:24 #54913

first off welcome, i too am fairly new here, bout 6 months, you will be very happy getting to know the folks here, tons of info. i am not as lucky to have a near complete feathercraft as you have, but all the same, they say there is a disease called rivitites and for you, as me it is contagious. Don't try to fight it, after the initial onset, it comes to be very soothing for the mind, ( as long as you wear earplugs ). I was lucky to find mine, same issues the previous owner had as you, the how much, does it float stuff, I approached him probably much like John did, appreciation in the eyes, when he heard me out it was a sold sale and I have never looked back, just forward, and with the informative, want to help attitude from the gang here, you too will be well on your way to that peace of mind. Best wishes and have fun. Jabe

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 09 Dec 2015 18:46 #54909

Welcome aboard. There is a wealth of information on this site. There is probably someone close to you that can help and guide you so it is don right and you will then be able to enjoy it. The main thing i see is everywhere you see a rusted bolt get it out. The holes can be filled with rivets and you will never know the difference. It is a great looking boat.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 09 Dec 2015 17:29 #54907

I am so impressed with this group. You know how to make a newbie feel quite welcome! Thanks so much!

If I didn't have to be responsible by day, then I would surely be tinkering right now! I will ask some of my existing questions this evening. Thanks for your generous support!

To be continued....

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 09 Dec 2015 14:31 #54905

Welcome aboard and thanks for posting such a moving story.
I'm not sure whether you've found a home here or an asylum.
Either way, it's a wonderful place to be. :)
I look forward to watching your progress.
Good luck and best wishes. :)
"friends to the end."- Russ Cleaton

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 09 Dec 2015 12:15 #54901

Yes, welcome! Just focus on the next thing that you want to do...one day at a time :)

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 09 Dec 2015 06:51 #54900

Welcome aboard Ms. Carey,

The Vagabonds are gorgeous restored and it appears to be all there. Just know the end result is worth the effort.

Glad to have you floating with us!

Bri

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2286
  • Latest Member:jpeter
  • Total Posts:98.5k
  • Total Topics:7257
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:0
  • Yesterday Answer:10