Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Feb 2017 21:13 #70800

Gosh dang! Those are some good looking floors. I don't want slats though. (Eagle... I guess that means I lean to the middle. Yep. That's me!) I think they look a little like a beautiful Amish barn... which wasn't the vision in my brain for this project. I would have to fasten those down anyway.

I want easy to remove platform panels. However, I really do like the idea of soft outdoor carpeting under my feet. For real! My brain is processing all this while doing my chores.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Feb 2017 19:52 #70797

Carpeted floors in Vagabond: By JR

Teak floors in BBJ: By me

Cypress front deck in BBJ:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: seaforrest

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Feb 2017 19:44 #70796

And if you have a propensity like JRthumbs staple screen door screen under the slats.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Feb 2017 18:24 #70795

• jbcurt00
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Actual FC Clipper owner :)
  • Thank you received: 376
If I were you Carey and considering a wooden floor in a Vagabond, I'd give strong comsideration to a slat floor like Mark's but in locally available cypress. :) :shades:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, seaforrest

Last edit: by jbcurt00.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Feb 2017 18:12 #70794

• JR
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 430
I've done, carpeted plywood in the Vagabond, really nice on bare feet. Painted gray as original in the Flyer and varnished mahogany plywood in the Rocket. All removable . When I paint or varnish floors, I mix in a little sand in the next to last coat to eliminate slip. I like the look of the slat floor, but I'm always dropping crap.
John
1956 Golden Rocket, 1955 Vagabond, 1957 Crestliner Voyager Hardtop, 1958 Crestliner Jetstreak 15, past boats: 54 Vagabond, 55 Vagabond, 57 Vagabond, 50 FC Flyer, 46 FC Runabout, 57 FC Rocket, 57 Jetstreak

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Feb 2017 17:45 #70792

I lean towards the right,,,I mean Slatted floors. They are light,strong,durable and beautiful, The ones in the 47 are from 300 yr old Chestnut and Cherry. Chestnut is pretty rot proof. Another advantage of the slats,,it you can see whats going on below through the gaps in the slats. The slats also provide a nice toe hold. I still have Chestnut left over. Rough sawn and planks. Some 16"x3"x8 ft . I"ll send it to ya Greyhound. :P

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Feb 2017 17:23 #70791

seaforrest wrote: Dan - I fully agree with you on that. I am doing floor panels that are removeable. I kept the old floor so I could use those panels as a template. However, I already know that you will find my next question to be utterly ridiculous. So cover your ears :biggrin:

I would like to do painted floor panels with a high gloss epoxy top coat. Has anyone else tried this at home?

When you seen in person how fine some of these folks have their Feather Craft boats it will give you lots of ideas. The photos posted here are only a glimpse.

Water worthiness and motor dependability come in at the top of the list. For some the goal is to make the boat as much like new from the factory as possible. Others go for customizing but we don't see a lot of variance from the factory look. I've seen some customizing that I would call 'tragic', but wouldn't so so in a public forum. Windshields are very important for a lot of folks but I prefer not having one. If you look at most of the photos taken of cruises you will see folks looking over their windshield as in the photos of Steve on this sites wallpaper. For me looking through plastic is not a good thing as I easily suffer from motion sickness. My view of the world is distorted enough already.
"So shake the dust off of your wings and the sleep out of your eyes." Townes Van Zandt

Last edit: by VinTin.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Feb 2017 17:08 #70790

Good point Don. I do have access to some commercial flooring companies who sell epoxy poured floors with fleck "crystals" poured in for slip resistance. I will look into it. That might be a long term goal. I won't get stumped on it for now.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Feb 2017 16:59 #70789

I believe the original equipment was painted plywood floors.
Keep in mind that high gloss may get a bit slippery when wet.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Feb 2017 16:55 #70788

Dan - I fully agree with you on that. I am doing floor panels that are removeable. I kept the old floor so I could use those panels as a template. However, I already know that you will find my next question to be utterly ridiculous. So cover your ears :biggrin:

I would like to do painted floor panels with a high gloss epoxy top coat. Has anyone else tried this at home?

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2210
  • Latest Member:55BigTwin
  • Total Posts:96.2k
  • Total Topics:7119
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:2
  • Today Answer:1
  • Yesterday Answer:12