Topic

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 10 Dec 2015 22:10 #54959

Locomotion wrote: I prefer acetone, it seems a little more aggressive on the glue and a little less unfriendly to the user than lacquer thinner. But that may be I just got tired of lacquer thinner due to using it for too long :whistle:

As in fingernail polish remover? Well my house has plenty of that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 10 Dec 2015 21:54 #54956

I prefer acetone, it seems a little more aggressive on the glue and a little less unfriendly to the user than lacquer thinner. But that may be I just got tired of lacquer thinner due to using it for too long :whistle:
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin
The following user(s) said Thank You: seaforrest

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 10 Dec 2015 19:32 #54954

A belated welcome, and a suggestion. Looking at the picture with the adhesive, I'm going to go way out on a limb and suggest that you try lacquer thinner as a solvent. It'll dissolve most contact type adhesives (...which that kinda looks like) and won't harm the aluminum.

As John and others have said, go slow. PBBlaster will help. I found that most of my rusty fasteners just broke when turned with a wrench or vise-grips.

You'll get there.
"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat; I'm going out to sea." - Lyle Lovett

'54 Vagabond - '55 Mark 55
'59 Crestliner Jetstreak - '60 Merc 300
Etched Panels & Plates

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 10 Dec 2015 04:24 #54937

Locomotion wrote: Please be aware these boat are made of very soft aluminum and will dent very very easily. Dents are not as easily corrected as they are created. The soak and reapply and reapply and reapply may be your best route before trying twisting them out. Are the fasteners a sheet metal screw or bolts with nuts?

I have realized the softness already when I noticed some small damage during the process of wood removal. I stopped using the tool in my hand immedistely. I tackled the newer screws first. Most of these removed easily with a drill. I havent studied the rusty ones yet. They dont look like bolts with nuts. Will keep you posted.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 10 Dec 2015 03:44 #54934

Please be aware these boat are made of very soft aluminum and will dent very very easily. Dents are not as easily corrected as they are created. The soak and reapply and reapply and reapply may be your best route before trying twisting them out. Are the fasteners a sheet metal screw or bolts with nuts?
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 10 Dec 2015 02:06 #54929

jbcurt00 wrote: I wouldnt go too heavy on the WD40 during any 1 application. It'll just run everywhere and evaporate.

A little Thurs am, sit all day, a little more Thurs PM and repeat twice on Fri. And get after them on Sat ;)

LOL. Well ok. I just needed a plan. Hate daylight savings darkness at 5:30 pm.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 10 Dec 2015 01:58 #54925

• jbcurt00
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Actual FC Clipper owner :)
I wouldnt go too heavy on the WD40 during any 1 application. It'll just run everywhere and evaporate.

A little Thurs am, sit all day, a little more Thurs PM and repeat twice on Fri. And get after them on Sat ;)

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 10 Dec 2015 01:50 #54923

jbcurt00 wrote: I still recommend the PB Blaster or WD40 soak for a bit 1st, then try the vice grips. If they dont come loose w/outbreaking, more WD40 and a light tap w something metallic [small hammer or the vice grips) on the head of the screw and a brief wait again. Then try the vice grips again.

If they dont break free, I'd try a little heat, a resoak w WD40 and another tap w metal. Very little heat, just enough to heat the screw up some. Dont want to try.and heat the screw cherry red, that risks damage to the hull.

If some are still well stuck, then cut/grind off the shafts and drill out the part stuck thru the hull.

Diligent use of a chisel and hammer may clear away the bulk of any wood still well stick to the hull. Just be sure you're only using the chisel into wood and not gouging the hull.

IIRC, you thought the adhesive was some sort of mastic. A solvent may loosen it up enough that it could be removed. Not knowning what glue, finding the right solvent may be some trial and error....

Good luck this weekend

If you have a less then welcoming experience w the marine store, don't let it deter you. They likely wont have a clue about working on one or a passion for vintage boats.

You are prob right. This boat wont be a big revenue source so they probably wont be nearly as excited. But Im also an actress in community theater. So I can act like I dont notice any attitude quite well!

On the WD40 - I want to just go spray a ton on every rusty screw first thing in the morning and let it soak until Saturday! Any reason I cant? Im thinking they could be marinating in WD40 right now.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 10 Dec 2015 01:44 #54922

VinTin wrote:

seaforrest wrote: I have to figure out how to get them out. That will be the weekend project. I know we have a marine boat store. Have passed it many times. I think I will pay visit to see they can be of local assistance.

I also have some of the wood trim that was adhered with finishing nails and adhesive. It is completely stubborn unless I take a crowbar to it, which would cause damage to the boat. I will attach a photo. Any suggestions for loosening this would be appreciated.

End nipper pliers work well to get a grip on nails.
www.google.com/search?q=end+nipper+plier...IZA&biw=1680&bih=913

Once you get enough nail to get a grip on put some vice grip pliers.

www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-heavy-duty-end-nipper-38496.html

THANK YOU! Send me a link to exactly what tools you use and I am payin' attn! I love Harbor Freight anyway!

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 10 Dec 2015 01:27 #54920

• jbcurt00
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Actual FC Clipper owner :)
I still recommend the PB Blaster or WD40 soak for a bit 1st, then try the vice grips. If they dont come loose w/outbreaking, more WD40 and a light tap w something metallic [small hammer or the vice grips) on the head of the screw and a brief wait again. Then try the vice grips again.

If they dont break free, I'd try a little heat, a resoak w WD40 and another tap w metal. Very little heat, just enough to heat the screw up some. Dont want to try.and heat the screw cherry red, that risks damage to the hull.

If some are still well stuck, then cut/grind off the shafts and drill out the part stuck thru the hull.

Diligent use of a chisel and hammer may clear away the bulk of any wood still well stick to the hull. Just be sure you're only using the chisel into wood and not gouging the hull.

IIRC, you thought the adhesive was some sort of mastic. A solvent may loosen it up enough that it could be removed. Not knowning what glue, finding the right solvent may be some trial and error....

Good luck this weekend

If you have a less then welcoming experience w the marine store, don't let it deter you. They likely wont have a clue about working on one or a passion for vintage boats.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2286
  • Latest Member:jpeter
  • Total Posts:98.5k
  • Total Topics:7257
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:0
  • Yesterday Answer:10