Topic

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 24 Dec 2015 17:53 #55441

Shame on you Squirrelboy man. You should know that women in their 40's refuse to be valued on hair color alone. And I would have surely expected the high priority values of this fine FC group to be 1. Boat 2. Motor 3. Brains 4. Hair Color -- in exactly that order.

That being said.. those are beautiful vintage motors right there in your pic. We might all show up redheaded if you would offer a redhead special price that includes installation and a warranty. Maybe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 24 Dec 2015 16:51 #55435

If you are not interested in working on your own motor by all means stick with a modern motor.
Anything between 1990 through 2002 is your best choise and stay away from four stroke ANYTHING...Too heavy, expensive, complicated, and increased maintainence over a two stroke.

That being said, are any of the girlfriends redheads :woohoo:

If you are considering vintage power I have a few available...merc geo

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 24 Dec 2015 12:23 #55428

Simplify the motor setup all you can.
I run jack plates on both my Feather Crafts but they do present complications, mainly in the steering department.
A later model short shaft 30-35 HP OMC is your best choice if the funds are available (my opinion I know, but it is an experienced opinion).
The older they get the less they cost, the less they cost the more you can expect to spend in maintenance.
The period correct motors are great but finding one in real good condition and getting it serviced and tuned can be a project in itself.
You will find the reward is worth all you put into it B)
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin
The following user(s) said Thank You: seaforrest

Last edit: Post by Locomotion.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 21 Dec 2015 00:19 #55304

rushwal wrote: We are in Alabama. Where are you seaforrest?

I'm in Alexandria, Lousiana. Can get one or two girlfriends to ride with me, but would be nice to meet up with a group along the way in case we get stupid and get stuck. Ha!

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 20 Dec 2015 23:53 #55303

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 20 Dec 2015 22:48 #55302

• jbcurt00
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Actual FC Clipper owner :)
A couple of families come up from Alabama this past fall.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 20 Dec 2015 21:56 #55301

Would have to find me a rat pack to travel with. Might be able to pull it off. Thanks for the info!

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 20 Dec 2015 19:45 #55296

seaforrest wrote: Well I can't really say that my first goal is to show up at one of ya'lls big functions to peacock around and win all the speed races! But you never know.

Motor work is not as fun as paint strippin but I will heed all this sound advice for immediate future reference! Will have to line up some muscle I guess.

One day I will teach all of you how to get a mani-pedi and keep it all clean and together. You can do it!! :biggrin:

We have a spring meet in Tennessee every spring. It would be a good chance for you to meet the group, see our ships and go cruising. Some people stay at nearby motels while some camp at Poland Creek Campground. Bring your Feather Craft and motor even if it's not water ready for free ideals and opinions.

Read about the last spring meet here: feathercraft.net/index.php/forum/11-feat...lle-spring-meet.html
1958 Vagabond, 1954 Vagabond, 1958 Rocket Runabout, 1958 Clipper, 1950 Fire Fly, 1953 Flyer, 1954 Deluxe Runabout, 1956 Alumacraft Cruiseabout, 1956 Alumacraft Merrie 16, 1958 Alumacraft Queen Merrie, 1956 Alumacraft Deep C, 1958 Alumacraft Deep C, 1951 Alumacraft Model R, 1956 Alumacraft FD.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 20 Dec 2015 19:14 #55295

• jbcurt00
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Actual FC Clipper owner :)
You dont need a lawn ornament you NEED a beautiful running vintage FC that you can use ;)

I went back and looked at the original pix you posted.

IMO, Merc Geo is right, looks like the motor is a long shaft (20in +/-) and the jack plate was added to a short shaft transom (15in +/-) to accommodate the too long motor. Happens all the time. If you can get it all setup to run well, it could be fine.

Largely depends on what YOU want, or in my case, have on hand.... run what ya brung/got is very common.

As Ray and Jeff (locomotion and jmhyatt, and probably others) have done w their boats, a modern or new motor w tilt and trim can be a good alternative, but you have to be able to afford the swap to modern.

Merc Geo hasnt even mentioned joining the dark side by swapping to a Mercury yet :)...

Have a good Sunday.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 20 Dec 2015 18:47 #55294

Well since my husband was the mechanic in our home, and I rarely even had to change my own oil, I will probably just dump the manly transom jack and motor and strip all the paint off of this sweet beauty and turn her into a peacock FC lawn ornament!

My neighbors would surely love that.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2286
  • Latest Member:jpeter
  • Total Posts:98.5k
  • Total Topics:7257
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:0
  • Yesterday Answer:10