Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 07 Feb 2017 23:03 #70843

seaforrest wrote: So where do I find a boat cover that fits my 58 Vagabond? I need to keep the rainwater and leaves out and I don't want a blue tarp! Kindly please advise. Thank you.

I bought a cover from this online place, who happens to be located near me in Alabama. I have no idea where their covers actually come from. They have a good variety of sizes at good prices, and the quality is good; it's a heavy fabric with good elastic and a lot of attachment points.

www.vortexdirect.com/

What they DON'T offer - and I wish they did - is a cover with integrated outboard cover. I think you have to pay some pretty big $$ to get that...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 07 Feb 2017 05:46 #70840

Boatboy wrote: For my Clipper I used marine plywood and painted it glossy gray.

That looks grear!
"So shake the dust off of your wings and the sleep out of your eyes." Townes Van Zandt

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 07 Feb 2017 04:09 #70838

Ooooh I like that Boatboy! You've got a retro Mad Men mid-century modern look going on there. :shades: Thanks for the visual of the glossy gray. That helps me.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 06 Feb 2017 22:55 #70831

For my Clipper I used marine plywood and painted it glossy gray.

John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, seaforrest

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 06 Feb 2017 00:55 #70813

I like his weatherstripping friction fit idea ..... Australian or not, I'm mulling it all over. I like the gray painted floor idea with cool carpet for my bare feet and it visually disappears like Loco said. I'm feeling that vibe. Thinking it through. Might go a whitewash stain to give me a painted look that still shows that rustic woodgrain through. My brain is working it. :hmm:

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 06 Feb 2017 00:43 #70812

jabe wrote: mine are friction fit.........i cut them an 1/8 shy for length between the seat decks, then applied 1/4 foam weather stripping on the leading edge, they fit and hold nice and snug........

i did the silica sand sprinkle on the second last coat as well for non slip.........

Did you move to Australia Jabel ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcrausch

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Feb 2017 23:15 #70811

My slat panels drop right in and pull right out. They weigh maybe 15 lbs each. I would never drill a hole in a stringer..I had carpet in the 58 vagabond..It was great,,,but it holds water. As far as bare feet,,,I don't boat barefoot..I like traction and keeping my feet from fish hooks and the sun. If
you just need a floor,,go with the plywood.. You are still going to build the puzzle of locking it in using the existing stringers and ribs without using fasteners. Call it Tetris. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: seaforrest

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Feb 2017 23:13 #70810

mine are friction fit.........i cut them an 1/8 shy for length between the seat decks, then applied 1/4 foam weather stripping on the leading edge, they fit and hold nice and snug........

i did the silica sand sprinkle on the second last coat as well for non slip.........

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by jabe.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Feb 2017 23:05 #70809

I have marine plywood with grey indoor/outdoor carpet in my boats, it feels great on bare feet in the hot sun, sort of just disappears to the eye and will last 10 to 15 years if you take it out when not in use. Mine are gravity fastened B)
“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” Maya Angelou

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Feb 2017 21:15 #70801

Eagle127 wrote: And if you have a propensity like JRthumbs staple screen door screen under the slats.

Someone please interpret. :silly:

Nevermind. I just figured it out. Yep! I would have to have a mesh liner as a catchall which would defeat the purpose of slats anyway.

Last edit: by seaforrest.
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2210
  • Latest Member:55BigTwin
  • Total Posts:96.2k
  • Total Topics:7119
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:2
  • Today Answer:1