Warning

JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 3147

Topic

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 11 Feb 2017 22:32 #70892

Sos soap pads will help you on the transom wet them down just alittle they will
cut through that stuff and clean at the same time thats how I got that stuff off of mine
The following user(s) said Thank You: seaforrest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 11 Feb 2017 22:24 #70891

elastic rubbery, almost sounds like a silicone base........elbow grease......walmart sells it by the tube........on sale this week.......... :goof:

i know white vinagar works great on cleaning off fresh silicone, reason for the water hose, vinigar is a very mild acid, using it then rinse well........wont hurt working with it, just dont leave it on, must wash it off

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 11 Feb 2017 22:22 #70890

• jbcurt00
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Actual FC Clipper owner :)
Excellent clean up. Nice work

You can use cardbard, foam core or red rosen paper to make a better fitting template of the wooden deck pieces you want to fabricate.

Butyl caulk would be plyable and gray. So would Sikaflex and similar polyurethane based caulks.

Last edit: Post by jbcurt00.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 11 Feb 2017 22:15 #70889

It is very elastic rubbery. Also.... there is some kind of stuff holding the screws next to it in place. I will have to get a closeup in a little while. I cant get those bracket thingies off the end that are holding the inside of the transom in place. Have to dissolve it first. That stuff is gray but pliable. Dont think it is jb weld

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 11 Feb 2017 22:11 #70888

sure does look purdy with them sparkles of sunlight glisinin off the splash rail....... :shades:

you'll have to try some different solvents for the adhesive, paint stripper, acetone, and such.....not knowing what adhesive was used.........keep the garden hose handy, you may have to go abit more aggressive.........am sure someone here has delt with removing adhesive..............
best case is if you can soften it up and use a plastic scraper...........

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 11 Feb 2017 22:00 #70887

The old floorboard fits horribly! It just doesn't seem quite as beautiful and charming as I recollected. Perhaps I have grown accustomed to much finer woodworking skills. B) I sure am not duplicating these. Will post pics when the sun goes down a bit.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 11 Feb 2017 21:57 #70886

WELL..... I got the ugly transom jack and most of the rotten wood off! :tired: Now there is a large coating of thick disgusting adhesive left behind. I need to dissolve that somehow.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 08 Feb 2017 02:02 #70850

You go Girl !!!!! B)

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 08 Feb 2017 01:31 #70845

jmhyatt wrote:

seaforrest wrote: So where do I find a boat cover that fits my 58 Vagabond? I need to keep the rainwater and leaves out and I don't want a blue tarp! Kindly please advise. Thank you.

I bought a cover from this online place, who happens to be located near me in Alabama. I have no idea where their covers actually come from. They have a good variety of sizes at good prices, and the quality is good; it's a heavy fabric with good elastic and a lot of attachment points.

www.vortexdirect.com/

What they DON'T offer - and I wish they did - is a cover with integrated outboard cover. I think you have to pay some pretty big $$ to get that...

Don recommended them too. I ordered mine and expect it to arrive by Friday. Looking forward! I have a date with my boat on Saturday! Whoop! Whoop! :laughing:

Hmmmm. I might have officially lost my mind.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 08 Feb 2017 01:26 #70844

There are few places in our area that do covers and moorings but fewer and fewer that do interiors anymore. I had our cover custom made out of Sunbrella with a motor cover which I would recommend one with a motor cover especially if you have a vintage motor. If you shop for a custom cover, the Sunbrella costs more than other options but I’ve had Sunbrella covers last outside 365 days a year for over 25 years. Just so you have a idea of the cost my 16’ Vagabond custom cover was $400 and it was any color Sunbrella offered. For now you just might get a generic cover to keep the debris and varmints out of it while your still working on it. One other nice benefit with a custom fit is you can pull it down the road with the cover on with not much if any rubbing marks.

1955 Vagabond
1956 30hp Evinrude Lark
1973 Glastron GT 150

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, seaforrest

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2270
  • Latest Member:s.c.leapley
  • Total Posts:97.9k
  • Total Topics:7229
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:1
  • Yesterday Open:1
  • Today Answer:15
  • Yesterday Answer:19