Topic

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Jul 2016 13:11 #62932

Ok Eagle..... John C. once told me to use a torch too so I think I'm ready for the torch challenge..... I'm assuming the entire thing won't blow up like a bomb given all the flammable PB Blaster I have sprayed quite liberally across the surface. We shall see. :biggrin:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Jul 2016 11:02 #62924

Destruction,,,,,The Japanese call it reverse engineering... :P They did it to my Eagle. Smart buggers.. I would tell you to use a torch to apply heat to the aluminum,,right before the pull attempt,,seconds before. But shield the nails so they don't heat up. If they do it will ruin the hardening of the nail and it will snap right off. I'll stage some photo's later to make the process more understandable. A photo is worth a thousand words. Like this. Torch head is off to the right. Just so happens the 47b had an extra hole to insert a nail.. :) Imagine that ? The heat will expand the hole and break loose the rust.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: seaforrest

Last edit: Post by Eagle127.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Jul 2016 00:39 #62907

• jbcurt00
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Actual FC Clipper owner :)
Excellent...

Dont forget to use a thin piece of wood to protect the hull and help lever the nails up and out.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Jul 2016 00:21 #62906

Well... so I admit to having a little "blonde" anxiety mental block earlier when I stated that none of the vice grips would close tight enough. After jabe made me go look again... (thanks jabe), I do find that my largest ones (shown below) will work fine. These are the three I had out and have used readily in the removal of those big nasty rusty screw heads.

I just went out and tested..... as Vin Tin said, the test sample nail didn't stand a chance. I tried another and it didn't budge, but I will keep lubricating with the PB Blaster and will work it away. My issue is that I get impatient and want to go at it like a beast. (I must have an inner beast residing within...) Rob - you say destruction is harder than construction.... I would initially say no, however.... I will stand down and ponder that. I assume destruction doesn't mean destroy. :laughing:

Gonna have these removed by the weekend!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 04 Jul 2016 23:43 #62904

With six different types of ViceGrips on hand and some PB Blaster these nails don't stand a chance.

There may be a little learning curve involved in how to use the V Grips but she can do it!
1958 Vagabond, 1954 Vagabond, 1958 Rocket Runabout, 1958 Clipper, 1950 Fire Fly, 1953 Flyer, 1954 Deluxe Runabout, 1956 Alumacraft Cruiseabout, 1956 Alumacraft Merrie 16, 1958 Alumacraft Queen Merrie, 1956 Alumacraft Deep C, 1958 Alumacraft Deep C, 1951 Alumacraft Model R, 1956 Alumacraft FD.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 04 Jul 2016 23:28 #62903

Destruction is harder than construction. It looks to me that those are air gun finish nails. They are made to go in and stay there. They have to come out the same way. Straight back just the opposite of how they went in. If you twist them or bend them they will stay put, leaving you remnants you can't lock onto. The pliers and blocking works best. That makes whats left of the brad come out straight. That is using the strongest part leftover.

If all else fails ....go to plan B, C or D B)

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 04 Jul 2016 22:17 #62901

"I have found 6 entirely different sets of vicegrips in my husband's tool collection"

show us some pics, many types of visegrips, gotta be one in the bunch that will work........save ya some cash to buy the rivets.......this rivet is for eaagle, this rivet is for unclbuuz, this rivet is for jbcourt, this rivet is for rickg, this rivet is for rushwal, this rivet is for locomotion..........and this big ole rivet is for bbj who ran all the way back to his hammock.............

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 04 Jul 2016 21:56 #62900

Thanks - guys - for your input. I learned the hard way early on, while pulling off the old wood deck material, how soft that aluminum is. I will use all precaution. All of your ideas make complete sense. I'm back on a roll now with my enthusiasm. Ya'll my new best friends. :biggrin: Well ...... you know.... in a rivet kind of way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 04 Jul 2016 21:25 #62897

I have found 6 entirely different sets of vicegrips in my husband's tool collection. None of which look the same as what Eagle posted in that beautiful video. Lol. So I will probably go to Harbor Freight this week and get a "normal" vicegrip because none of mine close down tight enough on those nails. And a pair of needlenosed pliers just breaks it off at the surface. Tommy (my husband) is probably looking from wherever he is and loving my entire dilemma! Ha! The thought makes me happy anyway. Will keep you posted. However, today was pool day and now back to mom duties.... like laundry and all that responsible stuff. Uuuuugh.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 04 Jul 2016 21:21 #62896

After breaking off the majority of the nails using the vice grip method, I would drive what is left of the nail out using the smallest nail set I could find and use a piece of 2X4 much like a bucking bar to minimize deforming the aluminum.
“I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.” Gary Spence

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2286
  • Latest Member:jpeter
  • Total Posts:98.5k
  • Total Topics:7257
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:0
  • Yesterday Answer:10