Topic

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 16 Oct 2016 20:39 #66963

If your axle isn't badly rusted it should be fine. Your tires are also fine as long as they aren't showing signs of dry rot (cracks in the sidewalls and tread). Those tires and axle probably won't be carrying more than 800 pounds. If the tires are bad you might want to replace them with 4.80 X 12 wheels and tires, however, your 8" tires will also get the job done.
John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD
The following user(s) said Thank You: seaforrest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Boatboy.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 16 Oct 2016 20:19 #66962

I am working to get the boat trailer serviceable next, in hopes that I can haul it to south Louisiana to get assistance with restoration. I have been told the tires and axle are far too small and need to be replaced for any sort of long haul.

They do look too small. Not sure if they were temporarily replaced and I gave the real tires away back when I was throwing out stuff. :mums: No clue.

Bear with me in these elementary questions, but based on photos below, does this setup looked rigged and undersized?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 15 Jul 2016 00:26 #63548

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 14 Jul 2016 23:34 #63544

trey does great work, i got my feathers from him as well.......no worry carey, so many here have there hands into all you need........and all top notch

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 14 Jul 2016 23:26 #63543

rushwal wrote: PM me your address, and I'll send you some feathers!

I came home today to a little HAPPY in my mail slot! :biggrin: Wow! You ROCK rushwal! These are BEAUTIFUL!! I am all smiles..... they have invigorated my enthusiasm again! Thank you! Thank you!

This message has an attachment image.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 06 Jul 2016 01:40 #62958

OMG! What would I do without my team! Probably wish I hadn't sold my boat! That's what. Thanks jabe for recommending a torch. I haven't seen one around the house, but it never hurts to have more than one anyway. I'm a believer in blue Dawn. But that didn't work on my PB Blaster hands. I finally used a very expensive rose oil hand lotion and BAM..... man hands disappeared. Thank goodness.

AlanB... thanks for telling me about those gloves.... I'm on the case. Harbor Freight black gloves and a torch on my shopping list!

Last edit: Post by seaforrest.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Jul 2016 22:31 #62952

try the blue dawn dishsoap.........if it can make an oily duck fly, its good enough for me...i use it all the time, once a day wether i need to or not

eagle has you on the right path with the heat.....i use a butane mini torch, for tight spots and small controlled areas........easy and safe to use.......just a thought........neil

This message has an attachment image.

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Jul 2016 22:10 #62951

seaforrest wrote: :biggrin: I don't know what that means, Mark, but it sure sounds really swell! Love feathers!

My fingers still smell like chemicals. Blah! :holdbreath: What's that stuff called that gets the smell off your hands? I can't be having motor oil hands. Heck to the NO! Drawing a line in the sand right there.

The next time your at Harbor Freight pick up a box of the black 9 mill rubber gloves. They fit nice and tight so you can actually do things with them on, wipe them off and reuse them or toss them in the trash. I don't mind getting my hands dirty but the time it takes to get them really clean after working in grease or oil I don't have, the dryness of multiple handwashing also got me started using vinyl gloves for really grimy jobs
1955 Vagabond
1956 30hp Evinrude Lark
1973 Glastron GT 150

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Jul 2016 15:13 #62939

Wipe up all that PB Blaster before applying the heat.
John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

RESTORE - ATION? MAYBE 05 Jul 2016 15:01 #62938

seaforrest wrote: Ok Eagle..... John C. once told me to use a torch too so I think I'm ready for the torch challenge..... I'm assuming the entire thing won't blow up like a bomb given all the flammable PB Blaster I have sprayed quite liberally across the surface. We shall see. :biggrin:

I am in favor of the torch too but I advise great caution, controlling the heat is absolutely required, it will heat quickly and overheat quickly.
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2286
  • Latest Member:jpeter
  • Total Posts:98.5k
  • Total Topics:7257
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:0
  • Yesterday Answer:10