Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1961 Merc 700 FGS Restoration 30 Dec 2020 17:14 #109190

rivets and finz wrote: also when the head snaps off, i have had awesome luck welding a washer to the remaining part of the bolt and then welding a nut to the washer the heat from welding usually seals the deal and the bolts usually spin out easily using the new "head" i welded back on
i used to weld a new nut on the broken bolt but i find it easier to weld a washer as i get better weld penetration than trying to weld inside the nut

Great idea welding a washer on first. I like it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1961 Merc 700 FGS Restoration 30 Dec 2020 14:16 #109186

• MercuryMarc
  • MercuryMarc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Thank you received: 1918

Locomotion wrote: A soft, small diameter, sixty year old stainless steel bolt seized up by age and corrosion :-(
Takes the fun out and eats the time up on an otherwise fun job no matter the final method, taking it as a personal challenge is the way to make it tolerable ;-)

You nailed it Ray, it has become personal to me.
I take every precautions not to break a bolt, it just happens sometimes. So I will set myself up with the proper tools needed so this becomes second nature to me. "Sounds easy"

1/4x20x7/8 in a blind hole is not much fun. Flush broken.
Click the link below for information on vintage Mercury restorations

Mercury Restorations

1957 Clipper / 1969 Merc 1000
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon

1961 Merc 700 FGS Restoration 30 Dec 2020 13:50 #109185

A soft, small diameter, sixty year old stainless steel bolt seized up by age and corrosion :-(
Takes the fun out and eats the time up on an otherwise fun job no matter the final method, taking it as a personal challenge is the way to make it tolerable ;-)
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon

Last edit: by Locomotion.

1961 Merc 700 FGS Restoration 30 Dec 2020 05:40 #109181

the torx bit hammered into a hole drilled in the broken fastener works amazing, i use it all the time and sometimes on big bolts too as i work on forklifts ,works better than most easy outs.
you do need a good torx bit though, no harbor freight cheapies here!
i try to drill through the broken bolt so penetrating oil can get where it really needs to be.

also when the head snaps off, i have had awesome luck welding a washer to the remaining part of the bolt and then welding a nut to the washer
the heat from welding usually seals the deal and the bolts usually spin out easily using the new "head" i welded back on
i used to weld a new nut on the broken bolt but i find it easier to weld a washer as i get better weld penetration than trying to weld inside the nut

another trick i use frequently is left handed drill bits, the heat from drilling and the reverse nature of the cutting tip usually removes not too stuck bolts

man ,i really do have to stop snapping so many bolts !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feather-Fanatic, VinTin

1961 Merc 700 FGS Restoration 30 Dec 2020 00:52 #109179

Something else you might try to is to soak the bolts 1st with a batch of homemade penetrating oil consisting of equal parts of ATF and acetone. Incredible how effective the stuff is. :)
Oh, and good luck with this project. I know I'm not the only one who'll be following each new development.
"friends to the end."- Russ Cleaton
The following user(s) said Thank You: MercuryMarc

Last edit: by WetWillie.

1961 Merc 700 FGS Restoration 29 Dec 2020 23:52 #109177

I saw in a tractor forum where the guy drilled into the center of the busted bolt and drove a torx bit into the hole. He then removed the bolt with a socket that fit the torx bit. Might be worth a try...
“I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.” Gary Spence

1961 Merc 700 FGS Restoration 29 Dec 2020 23:40 #109176

The busy energizer beaver at it again, you go man, great stuff, your family at least knows where to find you, lol

1961 Merc 700 FGS Restoration 29 Dec 2020 23:18 #109175

• MercuryMarc
  • MercuryMarc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Thank you received: 1918
I am starting another Tower of Power resto. This inline 6 has a full gear shift "FGS" unlike my Mark 78A with no neutral. All markings show this motor was very lightly used and clean for it's age. The king's treatment didn't work as well as I was hoping. I did snap a couple exhaust bolts. Sometimes it's so hard to tell if you are breaking bolts or turning them out. I use a technique to remove exhaust bolts where I use my torque wrench and bring up the torque to the recommended specs when tightening a bolt. This usually is a good indicator if if you are going to over torque and snap a bolt. I wasn't close to the spec and I could feel the bolt turning so I continued slowly, and presto off comes the head. Arrrg...This aggravation can be fairly common with these old motors. I am developing my own technique to remove busted bolts instead of paying someone to do the work for me. Wish me luck I can beat the busted bolt syndrome.

Here are a couple pictures to get the the thread started.

Click the link below for information on vintage Mercury restorations

Mercury Restorations

1957 Clipper / 1969 Merc 1000
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: WetWillie, VinTin, The Art Doctor

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2356
  • Latest Member:Ranger3rob
  • Total Posts:100k
  • Total Topics:7343
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:3