Topic

Painting Outboard . . . nymarine.ca paint . . . thoughts? 27 Oct 2020 18:37 #108327

Peter shipped my paint and decals yesterday! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Painting Outboard . . . nymarine.ca paint . . . thoughts? 22 Oct 2020 03:53 #108235

OK - looks like a 1mm nozzle set . . . . I can get the detail gun alone for $74 from Eastwood.

Painting Outboard . . . nymarine.ca paint . . . thoughts? 22 Oct 2020 03:49 #108233

Thanks guys!

I actually have a couple of regular sized HVLP guns - Peter was telling me the benefits of the smaller spray pattern and saving paint etc. with the mini.

Wasn't sure if I could 'tune down' the pattern on my guns . . . been many years since I used them.

Marc - what nozzle size does your mini have? You shoot single stage correct?

Last edit: Post by gerg.

Painting Outboard . . . nymarine.ca paint . . . thoughts? 22 Oct 2020 01:28 #108214

This is the kit I use, I only use the mini gun when painting outboard motors. The large gun will waste way to much paint. I now found a local source to mix my paints for me. One thing I learned is not to buy paints from a different country. If you run out of paint you are screwed, now you have to wait another two weeks or so for more paint and the project once again goes on hold.

www.eastwood.com/concours-pro-2-paint-gu...d-accessory-kit.html
1958 Hawk II, with a 1959 Mark 78A Super Marathon Six hanging off the back.
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go

Last edit: Post by MercuryMarc.

Painting Outboard . . . nymarine.ca paint . . . thoughts? 21 Oct 2020 21:33 #108207

Forgot to add I have one and use it for primers and varnishes. You can use if for paint as well, I just happen to also have a nicer gun, devilbis finishline, that I shoot color with.
www.amazon.com/Devilbiss-Finishline-FLG-...ravity/dp/B007N69IRA
1952 Deluxe Runabout 1956 Johnson 30hp 1959 Deluxe Clipper 1973 Merc 500 50hp

Painting Outboard . . . nymarine.ca paint . . . thoughts? 21 Oct 2020 21:29 #108206

Touch-up guns are OK, but do not hold a lot of paint. It is also a small spray pattern, you can get that by adjusting a bigger gun as well, you need to practice with water on cardboard to get the feel of a paint gun. Try the Harbor Freight purple gun, google it and its all over youtube, so cheap you can throw away rather than cleaning when you are done.
1952 Deluxe Runabout 1956 Johnson 30hp 1959 Deluxe Clipper 1973 Merc 500 50hp

Painting Outboard . . . nymarine.ca paint . . . thoughts? 21 Oct 2020 21:16 #108205

So I ordered my paint from Peter this week. He highly suggested using a mini-HVLP.

I am looking for suggestions / experience on a reasonably priced (potentially one time use) gun.

I see them from $15 - $150 on eBay. I know you get what you pay for . . . there has to be a happy medium for a hobbyist vs. someone making a living painting I'd think.

I see 1.5 - 1.7 is a 'recommended' nozzle size for single stage paint. Best I am finding in a mini is 1.4

Anyone have any suggestions?

Painting Outboard . . . nymarine.ca paint . . . thoughts? 02 Oct 2020 15:17 #107868

Thanks for all the replies guys!! I am leaning towards the spray gun . . . . not that much more $$.

Appreciate the new leads on decal options too!

Any thoughts on the acrylic vs. urethane enamel choice?

Last edit: Post by gerg.

Painting Outboard . . . nymarine.ca paint . . . thoughts? 02 Oct 2020 12:13 #107866

You might try Dixie at Old Outboard Decals. I have some of theirs for my Mk55 and Crestliner and they're pretty nice. Catalogue with contact info attached.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat; I'm going out to sea." - Lyle Lovett

'54 Vagabond - '55 Mark 55
'59 Crestliner Jetstreak - '60 Merc 300
Etched Panels & Plates

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Painting Outboard . . . nymarine.ca paint . . . thoughts? 02 Oct 2020 10:12 #107865

JR wrote: Marc, Who was your decal source? I've used John McIntosh before.

www.johnsmcintoshvintagemercuryoutboard.com/Decals.html

I heard at AH, that John is no longer selling stickers, his stickers were complete and well made. I used Discontinued decals before and found out I did not get all the decals that came with the motor. John still may have some for sale, but I have not talked to him to confirm yet.
1958 Hawk II, with a 1959 Mark 78A Super Marathon Six hanging off the back.
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2286
  • Latest Member:jpeter
  • Total Posts:98.4k
  • Total Topics:7257
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:3