Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

OMC Rebuild 26 Apr 2020 13:38 #104075

Turn the lower unit back upright and back in the vise, the prop shaft goes back in next.
This lower unit is in such good condition as far as the shift dog and the dogs on the gears go, and it shifts through so well I am not going to take the shift dog and shift rod apart. But if you need to, the dog is held in place with a pin through it, the spring that is wrapped around the dog just spirals off and the pin comes out and the dog comes off, three detent balls hold the shift pin in place and you will have to have the OMC tool or make one (which is simple just a rod with a wedge ground on one end)) to get it all back together.
The shift fork collar needs to be held in place with grease with the closed end of the collar up so the openings in the collar for the shift fork are point straight up, I orientate it so the hole for the prop nut cotter pin is vertical when the collar is lined up right so I know it’s turned right once it’s out of sight.

Lube the bearing surfaces on the prop shaft and carefully slide it into place without turning the shift fork collar. Sorry but I didn’t get a photo of putting the prop shaft back in, it just goes right into the forward gear that’s already in place.
Reassemble the shift rod & seal assembly with new O-rings and lube everything, the fork rod drops back through the opening in the housing and it’s all close enough that the fork will usually just slide right into the shift collar, look through the small hole for the shift pin and you can see when the hole in the shift fork lines up, hold everything steady and put the shift pin in using lock tight here. You can hold the shift rod in one hand and the prop shaft in the other and tell that the fork is in place.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jabe, MercuryMarc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” Maya Angelou

OMC Rebuild 26 Apr 2020 13:28 #104074

I got side tracked, here we go.
Drop the drive shaft and bearing housing into place with plenty of lube on everything, hold on to the drive shaft until you get the housing bolted down. Once it’s bolted down it is captured in place and you can turn the whole thing upside down and clamp the driveshaft in the vice like we did during disassembly (the photos are from during disassembly it did get cleaned up before reassembly).

The pinion gear is splined and has a taper, the taper should be clean and dry, both the gear and the shaft, wipe the taper on the shaft off before you put the gear in place to make sure it didn’t get lube on it when you put the drive shaft in place.

The nut gets 40# to 45 # torque but my torque wrench won’t fit so I have to wing it, the manual does not call for nut lock so I don’t use any.

The following user(s) said Thank You: MercuryMarc

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” Maya Angelou

OMC Rebuild 30 Mar 2020 20:27 #103319

Here is the pile O’Parts, cleaned up, bearing surfaces polished up so they can be inspected closely, seals & O-rings replaced, one new bearing and a new water pump all on hand and ready to go.

Housing cleaned and ready,

It pretty much goes back together in reverse order of how it came apart, first thing back in is the forward gear and bearing set, lube the prop shaft bearing that is in the very back of the housing, put the thrust washer in the housing first then the gear with the bearing stuck to it with the assembly lube. Be sure and lube the bearing inside the gear

The drive shaft & bearing assembly goes in next, lube the bearings and seals and O-rings and make sure you keep track of the shims and put them and the thrust washers back like they came out.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kingfisher, jabe, MercuryMarc

Last edit: by Locomotion.

OMC Rebuild 26 Mar 2020 01:46 #103148

Locomotion wrote:

Eagle127 wrote: Man that must be a low hour unit or a Damn good design. The thrust washer still has crosshatch on it !! I'm on my way out to tear down a customer K321. You really could rebuild one of those "K" motors blindfolded.

I think it's good design, check this, the drive shaft just below the bearings has an Archimedes screw built into it and a close fit in the housing lets it pump gear oil up to those bearings and then it runs back down through ports that oils everything in the lower unit. Beautiful engineering, an oil pump with no moving parts and nearly no parasitic loss.

That is defenitly a cool design.

Yep it was two balls and a spring, can you imagine me with popsicle sticks putting that back together. :woohoo: oh man... Ha!

Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II, Merc 400

OMC Rebuild 26 Mar 2020 01:41 #103147

When I saw that Ray,,I thought you mixed the photo's up with a rebuild of a 56 Saginaw steering box. :blink: Pure genius always presents itself in a form of simplicity...The A10..
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

OMC Rebuild 26 Mar 2020 01:33 #103146

Eagle127 wrote: Man that must be a low hour unit or a Damn good design. The thrust washer still has crosshatch on it !! I'm on my way out to tear down a customer K321. You really could rebuild one of those "K" motors blindfolded.

I think it's good design, check this, the drive shaft just below the bearings has an Archimedes screw built into it and a close fit in the housing lets it pump gear oil up to those bearings and then it runs back down through ports that oils everything in the lower unit. Beautiful engineering, an oil pump with no moving parts and nearly no parasitic loss.

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, Kingfisher, MercuryMarc

OMC Rebuild 26 Mar 2020 01:27 #103145

HawkEyes wrote: Nice job Ray. Easy peasy.... :cheer:

I replaced the forward gear in my 81' Johnson 35HP 3 years ago because of some busted forward gears.

I have a service manual for that motor too. I told myself I don't need any of There " special tools" they use in the book.

I can't remember exactly, but in the prop shaft there's a detent ball that is used in relation with the clutch dogs and detent pin? Something like that.

I took everything apart cleaned and inspected it all. But sliding the detent ball back in required a special tool, I wish I had that tool. :ohno:

Ray do you know what I am talking about?

I ended up cutting slits into popsicle sticks to hold the ball in place. It was a pain in the but.
I think it was two detent balls, I remember having two popsicle sticks rubber banded around the shaft, I think.

Anyway,
Nice work as always.

I do know the two balls with a spring between them, I say you can do this without their special tools but, on that job I did turn a tool out on the lathe, so I can cheat on tools when I have to. I couldn't live without my milling machine and my lathe B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: MercuryMarc

OMC Rebuild 26 Mar 2020 01:16 #103142

Man that must be a low hour unit or a Damn good design. The thrust washer still has crosshatch on it !! I'm on my way out to tear down a customer K321. You really could rebuild one of those "K" motors blindfolded.

Last edit: by Eagle127.

OMC Rebuild 26 Mar 2020 01:15 #103140

The seals can be a bit of work to get out. I grind them down with a small burr on a die grinder to make it easier but it helps to have a puller like this one.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kingfisher, MercuryMarc

OMC Rebuild 26 Mar 2020 01:06 #103138

Nice job Ray. Easy peasy.... :cheer:

I replaced the forward gear in my 81' Johnson 35HP 3 years ago because of some busted forward gears.

I have a service manual for that motor too. I told myself I don't need any of There " special tools" they use in the book.

I can't remember exactly, but in the prop shaft there's a detent ball that is used in relation with the clutch dogs and detent pin? Something like that.

I took everything apart cleaned and inspected it all. But sliding the detent ball back in required a special tool, I wish I had that tool. :ohno:

Ray do you know what I am talking about?

I ended up cutting slits into popsicle sticks to hold the ball in place. It was a pain in the but.
I think it was two detent balls, I remember having two popsicle sticks rubber banded around the shaft, I think.

Anyway,
Nice work as always.

Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II, Merc 400
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2172
  • Latest Member:3fiddy
  • Total Posts:95.4k
  • Total Topics:7057
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:3
  • Today Answer:21
  • Yesterday Answer:16

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5712
VinTin 5024
sgower 4767
Eagle127 4704
Locomotion 4393
Boatboy 3989
BigBadJon 3684
unclbuz 3029
Carol 2965
Bikecop1 2647

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net