Topic

Mercury Marc 13 Oct 2020 02:10 #108040

66kooch wrote: What size you looking for Dr. Chip?

Forgive me for I am old..what was my question, seriously...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by DrChip.

Mercury Marc 13 Oct 2020 01:28 #108039

always a relief to find something simple specially on a rebuilt motor you spent so much $$ ,time and $$$$$ on

i put new mercury points in a 64 merc 500 years ago and set them up at the dealer with help of the mechanic and their dwell meter
the next day i was ripping up the river and the motor died, i took out the mag and replaced the broken new points with he old ones drifting down the detroit river in order to make it back home
sometimes even brand new genuine parts fail
The following user(s) said Thank You: MercuryMarc

Mercury Marc 11 Oct 2020 21:41 #108005

What size you looking for Dr. Chip?

Mercury Marc 11 Oct 2020 19:31 #108002

As many of you know I didn't run Saturday at AH as I wasn't getting 100% out of the big 6. The problem started trying to leave the Emory at the end of the river where we turned around on Friday. I had a hard time getting the motor to start. Then Saturday I was losing alot of power all the way through with slow acceleration and hard starting. That's when I decided not to run the boat on the trip. Thanks BBJ for the ride on Saturday!

Back home; first I checked compression,(was going to do that anyway). All good on all six. (Good to know after running 250 miles on a feshly rebuilt motor)!!!
That's when I noticed a spark coming from the plug wire at the distributor when testing compression.
I thought that could be the problem (loss of spark) on a cylinder. All my testing lead to not seeing anything wrong. But fixed the cover and then garden hose test. Nope, still didn't sound or run right. Next easiest thing to check was inside the distributor, the points and dwell.

That's were I saw the problem; one set of points that would not close. Something shifted out of place and caused the failure.

I went back and set both sets of points and reset them to the proper dwell. I did a garden hose test and I am back in business.

It's always a good feeling finding something simple went wrong!
1958 Hawk II, with a 1959 Mark 78A Super Marathon Six hanging off the back.
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go

The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, WetWillie, VinTin, rushwal, The Art Doctor

Last edit: Post by MercuryMarc.

Mercury Marc 23 Aug 2020 16:58 #106986

Hi Dan this sounds like fun! Yet another trip down to AH and I will be beaten again by the Ole VinTin. I have paddled a couple times with the new motor on.
Lets just say you will be racing against a one legged duck! One day this young pup will learn to keep his mouth shut. lol.
As long as I stay off Dan's bright yellow tow rope I'll be doing alright.

Oar locks...Hmmm, good idea Ray. haha!
Jump in a boat and go

The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

Mercury Marc 23 Aug 2020 12:23 #106980

Better watch him Dan, he will probably show up at Arrowhead with oar locks mounted on that Hawk ;-)
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon

Mercury Marc 23 Aug 2020 06:08 #106977

MercuryMarc wrote:
Dan let's make sure we get a good picture of us sitting on the bows of our boats with paddles in hand!

Marc about the only time that I 'bow paddle' is when launching the boat off of a trailer solo, I climb from the trailer onto the bow and paddle to the dock. Another time I bow paddle is pushing off of shore. I push the boat off of shore as far as I can without getting my feet wet and then I climb onto the bow and push with the paddle.

Most of my paddling is done from the captains seat when docking as I like to kill the motor and do the last 20 ft. or so by paddle. I will also paddle from the captains seat if I'm in shallow water to spare my prop and lower unit from rocks and from sucking up sand. I find it interesting how small variances in paddle strokes affects the movement of a boat.

Just today I was on Lake Hartwell and talking to a few guys on the dock and paddled a few strokes for positioning. A guy walking the another dock yelled over 'hey, that thing has a motor'. I took it as someone wanting to inquire about my 40 hp 3 cylinder 2 stroke Tohatsu. Sometimes I don't share my inner thoughts.

So I challenge you to a paddling contest at arrowhead from out captain's seats. We can work out the details later.

I promise to not take advantage of your youth and inexperience. :lol:

1958 Vagabond, 1954 Vagabond, 1958 Rocket Runabout, 1950 Fire Fly, 1953 Flyer.

Last edit: Post by VinTin.

Mercury Marc 23 Aug 2020 01:09 #106971

VinTin wrote:

MercuryMarc wrote: My top speed this morning was 38MPH. Love having the extra power when needed.
And I am glad I graduated the school of VinTin. Well Dan I guess we could run'em again this fall if you want?
Both of us sitting on the bow of the boat; first one to paddle to the dock wins!!! Ready Set Go!

I'm up for it!

The bow paddling, that is,

You've got me by 3 mph with your merc. I have seen 36 flash for an instant and some days 34 is all I can get. I've very happy seeing 35.

Dan let's make sure we get a good picture of us sitting on the bows of our boats with paddles in hand!
Jump in a boat and go

The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon

Mercury Marc 22 Aug 2020 23:37 #106965

MercuryMarc wrote: My top speed this morning was 38MPH. Love having the extra power when needed.
And I am glad I graduated the school of VinTin. Well Dan I guess we could run'em again this fall if you want?
Both of us sitting on the bow of the boat; first one to paddle to the dock wins!!! Ready Set Go!

I'm up for it!

The bow paddling, that is,

You've got me by 3 mph with your merc. I have seen 36 flash for an instant and some days 34 is all I can get. I've very happy seeing 35.

1958 Vagabond, 1954 Vagabond, 1958 Rocket Runabout, 1950 Fire Fly, 1953 Flyer.

Last edit: Post by VinTin.

Mercury Marc 22 Aug 2020 21:13 #106964

• JR
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
That definetly ain't no OMC. Did you guys notice it's not shaking and shuttering like it's going to conk out at any moment!!!!! Awesome Marc.
1956 Golden Rocket, 1955 Vagabond, 1957 Crestliner Voyager Hardtop, 1958 Crestliner Jetstreak 15, past boats: 54 Vagabond, 55 Vagabond, 57 Vagabond, 50 FC Flyer, 46 FC Runabout, 57 FC Rocket, 57 Jetstreak

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2289
  • Latest Member:jel31
  • Total Posts:98.5k
  • Total Topics:7263
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:13
  • Yesterday Answer:15