TOPIC: need motor for Deluxe Runabout

need motor for Deluxe Runabout 11 Apr 2019 00:50 #94546

• krivanj
  • krivanj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
  • New Feathercraft owner!1953
  • Thank you received: 1
I get next week. 2019 25hp Tohatsu, electric start, remote. side controls, power tilt, 4 stroke, 15 inch , fuel injected, 3 cylinder, $3600
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1955 Deluxe Runabout

need motor for Deluxe Runabout 10 Apr 2019 23:48 #94544

• krivanj
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
I get next week. 2019 25hp Tohatsu, electric start, remote. side controls, power tilt, 4 stroke, 15 inch , fuel injected, 3 cylinder, $3600

1955 Deluxe Runabout

need motor for Deluxe Runabout 10 Apr 2019 23:36 #94543

• VinTin
  • First Mate
  • First Mate
  • Thank you received: 1303
Tell us about your Tohatsu.

4 stroke
2 stroke?

Inquiring minds want to know. I've got a 2003 40hp two stroke Tohatsu on a 58 Vagabond.

Last edit: by VinTin.

need motor for Deluxe Runabout 10 Apr 2019 20:59 #94537

• krivanj
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
Thanks so much for your input!
I did look at my almost new prop but it is fine. After taking the prop shaft apart and letting a good marine mechanic look at it, he said the forward and reverse gears were about the worst he had seen and that was my problem. I tried adjusting linkages but when I had immediate problems with not holding gear case oil, I gave up.on the old motor. Too much money for the parts to end up with still a really old engine.
I did not strike anything. It was just wear according to the mechanic. I bought the motor with the boat and the previous owner had found the motor locally after redoing the boat, so no history is known.

1955 Deluxe Runabout

need motor for Deluxe Runabout 10 Apr 2019 20:54 #94536

• krivanj
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
Thank you for all that!
I found that the lower unit prop gears are peened over from wear. A trusted local marine mechanic tells me they are in very bad shape. Also, it has been leaking water into the lower unit so the seals are shot.
I do not know why that is its top speed (GPS) but the friend from whom I bought it was getting that before I bought it too. It is a short shaft and I re-propped it when I bought it with a 10.3"x13. It is a 15" shaft.
So when the best price for a used lower unit was over $300 and could not get the fellow on ebay to write me back who rebuilt them, I have now bought a Tohatsu 25 for a very good price for a new engine. I have the old Merc for sale locally as I could not see putting $700 or more into it and still having a 23 year old motor.
We shall see! I get it next week.

1955 Deluxe Runabout

need motor for Deluxe Runabout 07 Apr 2019 04:04 #94469

Hello,
As a counter-point, have you checked to ensure that your propeller clutch (rubber hub) is not slipping? The 1980-2006 Merc 25 typically do not have lower unit issues without impact or water intrusion damage, barring maladjustment of the remote control cables. As well advised, if the Merc 25 is not a long shaft model, the "hydro-foil" is removed (acceleration holes can be added to the propeller tube to decrease time to "plane"), the outboard mounting height is correctly set, and the correct propeller pitch is in use, note that the Suzuki will offer no performance increase, as the 1980 & newer Merc 25 models are propeller shaft horsepower rated, and have 24.4 cubic inch piston displacement. If an impact has caused damage, your home owner's insurance might have "standard policy" coverage of your boat/motor/trailer, and cover striking an underwater object. Auto insurance (of the tow vehicle) could cover damage when towing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krivanj, HawkEyes

Avatar: Carl Kiekhaefer (Founder of Mercury Outboards) and My Father at 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

need motor for Deluxe Runabout 06 Apr 2019 22:02 #94467

• jmhyatt
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Ship's Carpenter
  • Thank you received: 273
I have a Suzuki DF25ARS on my 1955DR. I get a solid 29MPH with my wife and I onboard. If you're only getting 20 MPH, then I'd guess you have a long-shaft motor or it's poorly propped. That whale tail certainly isn't helping your speed any. If that whale tail is on a long-shaft motor, then you're adding a lot of drag to the boat.

I really like the Suzuki on my DR. Yes, it IS blasphemy, but I don't care. It's a joy to ride around in, and pops out to full speed in 2-3 seconds. IMHO it would be a great replacement for your Merc.

FYI, I put the short-shaft Suzuki on my DR. About a year later I raised it about 1 1/4 inches on the transom to reduce the drag - which bought me about 1 MPH on the top end. I also replaced the factory 11-pitch aluminum prop with a higher-pitch stainless prop - which I kind of regret. The stainless prop is louder for some reason, especially at idle, and doesn't run as smooth as the original prop. And of course it was expensive. The prop also got me about 1 MPH top speed, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Search my posts for more details on my experience with the motor.

I'm in North Alabama and usually have my boat at Arrowhead, if you want to go for a ride!

BTW, if you're thinking about the Suzuki, then I believe your max HP will be 25, because I don't think Suzuki offers the 30 HP motor in a short shaft, and IMHO you really should be putting a short shaft motor on these boats. The Zuki 25 & 30 are basically the same mechanical platform. I hacked my motor to increase the HP from 25 to 30 (I think), and it didn't buy me any measurable increase in performance. It "feels" more confident to me, but it didn't get my integer-reading GPS up to the next MPH.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, krivanj, HawkEyes

need motor for Deluxe Runabout 06 Apr 2019 20:56 #94466

• krivanj
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
Thanks.
Actually I already did. That is just an older picture I had on my computer.

1955 Deluxe Runabout

need motor for Deluxe Runabout 06 Apr 2019 20:50 #94465

• unclbuz
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Ship's Doctor
  • Thank you received: 591
Before you hang any motor on that ship, I suggest you find and install a transom casting for the starboard side...

“Remember, never compare or compete; just enjoy!" - Carlos Santana

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief." - Gerry Spence

need motor for Deluxe Runabout 06 Apr 2019 19:02 #94464

• krivanj
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
Hi all,
I am sorry- I posted this on the General Information forum, and could not figure out how to move it, so here it is again...
I have two questions:
1. Would it be blasphemy to put a new Honda or Suzuki on my 1955 Deluxe Runabout?
I have a 1984 Mercury 25 on it now that has just lost its lower unit. I don't really want to put that much money into an old motor.
2. If I did put a new Honda or Suzuki on this boat, what would the max horsepower be? According to the catalog here, it was rated for a 40 HP (at the engine, not the prop). The Merc 25 gets it to 18-19 knots or so with two people in the front seat. It has all that aluminium reinforcing in the stern.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

1955 Deluxe Runabout
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1855
  • Latest Member:dick@elliott-elliott.com
  • Total Posts:84.6k
  • Total Topics:6489
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:1
  • Today Answer:13
  • Yesterday Answer:12

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5165
sgower 4571
VinTin 4569
Eagle127 4522
Boatboy 3578
Locomotion 3567
BigBadJon 3215
Carol 2900
unclbuz 2767
Bikecop1 2517

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net