Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: '57 Merc Refresh

'57 Merc Refresh 22 Mar 2018 10:55 #83193

Hello,
While you are on the theme of "might as well", why not go forward and replace the crankshaft oil seals, and crankcase to cylinder block sealant, as these can easily cause starting and idling issues. We typically sell Viton lip material oil seals (7.39 each) which is an upgrade over Buna-N considering the ethanol fuel now in use, and a small tube of modern sealant (6.34) is far superior to the now 60 year old original sealant.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, VinTin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Avatar: Carl Kiekhaefer (Founder of Mercury Outboards) and My Father at 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

'57 Merc Refresh 21 Mar 2018 17:25 #83180

• Moe
  • Moe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Border
  • Fresh Border
  • Thank you received: 21
As with most things this started out as a repaint and new decal job. Simple enough job right?

After assessing the amount of goo on the engine I figured its time to clean that up.

Next thing I know I'm down to the long block, but I hate working on greasy engines.

Might as well pop open the mag and so we now have new points, condenser, gaskets, not to mention new fuel lines because those are looking a little dried out. And I might as well pull the engine cause it's only 8 nuts and really get things clean.

Removed the ground strap . . . awe $#!t . . . snapped off a bolt head.

So that is what landed me in front of my drill press for about an hour drilling heads off all the exhaust cover bolts. . . . . .

Covers off . . . . more fun to be had in my future.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jabe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:1770
  • Latest Member:mjg911
  • Total Posts:81.1k
  • Total Topics:6350
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:22
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:0
  • Yesterday Answer:19

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 4735
VinTin 4507
Eagle127 4490
sgower 4454
Boatboy 3415
Locomotion 3287
BigBadJon 3088
Carol 2900
unclbuz 2705
Bikecop1 2454

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.featrcraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support

Events

Event Coordinator

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net