MercuryMarc wrote: Sounds very nice.
Just curious, what went wrong with the motor after the first Merc refresh?
Thought I heard a bit of knocking but couldn't identify what exactly it was, it definitely wasn't the bottom end. I ended up checking compression and only came up with about 100 psi. I know a leakdown test probably would have been a better indicator but I have a compression guage so that's what I went with. So that led down the rabbit hole of new rings, bearings, correcting the crank shims from the previous owner and now correcting the timing set up as well. I'll take part responsibility for the timing. Either way its all new and running much better than before.
Yes, that is how I have it lined up now, per the service manual and NOT by the marks on the cover.
The previous owner had it lined up incorrectly and I just blindly put it back the way it was as it did run. Lesson learned.
Back at the MK55, my pension for older machinery in need of TLC got in my way again. This distraction was a very orange case garden tractor but that's another story.
A fresh set of plugs and recheck of timing revealed my folly. Seems when I first tore into this engine I documented as much as possible as I knew it wasn't a short term project.
Timing marks were noted to line up .235 BTDC so that's the way she went back together. Logic
But looking back over the service manual it notes the key way should line up, which it does not when you line up these timing marks. Thanks again previous owner.
Jump the timing belt a tooth or two to get the keyway on the mag lined up and double check my points with the buzz box and she pops to life so much easier.
I'm not sure how this thing ran as good as it did before I tore into it. Now to get my tach and get back on the water . . . .
This message has an attachment image. Please log in or register to see it.