TOPIC: '57 Merc Refresh

'57 Merc Refresh 11 Feb 2020 14:23 #102029

• Moe
  • Moe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
  • Thank you received: 61
Thanks Marc.

I re-checked my crank end play and found one shim was .010" and the one was .005" so I'll have to fix that. Thinking back from when I first started tearing this thing apart whoever went through this prior to me owning it did not have any attention to detail. Yes it ran, but one carb float was way out of whack and the different thickness shims, seems pretty half hazard.

I did try your trick of poking the rings and low and behold they all sprang back so I didn't bugger that up!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bayoumerc, HawkEyes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'57 Merc Refresh 11 Feb 2020 02:31 #102022

Great job on the creative thinking Moe. It's all down hill from here, just in time for spring.

Good luck, have fun

Mercury Marc, 1958 Hawk II. 1961 Merc 400

'57 Merc Refresh 10 Feb 2020 17:31 #101995

• Moe
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
Pics as promised from the weekend.

Installed a make shift pulley on my ceiling above the work bench to hang the crank from. The other end of the cord went in my bench vise for raising or lowering things . . . . yes that is an old caster off a tool box I cut a groove in. Cost, zero dollars.

As I don't have the fancy Mercury ring compressors, I figured something else out and saved a few bucks.
Took 4 spray can tops which are pretty close in diameter and cut 4 plastic sleeves. Cost, zero dollars.

Couple hose clamps later we have ring compressors that can be removed once the rings are started in the bore. Cost, ~$2.00

It was a little tricky to get the ring end gaps lined up properly but easy enough to tell if they were out of place as you'd get a lump.

Tighten the hose clamp down and found I had to back it off a half turn or so, so things slid into the bore but once I had that figured out it all slipped together pretty nice.

And done, time for a beer. (don't forget the dowel pin for the center main bearing either) Overall pretty straight forward. If I were going to go through more of these in the foreseeable future I might invest in some proper ring compressors but this actually worked better than I thought.

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Boatboy, scoot, VinTin, bayoumerc, HawkEyes, The Art Doctor

Last edit: by Moe.

'57 Merc Refresh 09 Feb 2020 19:04 #101980

• Moe
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
  • Cabin Boy/Girl

HawkEyes wrote: Moe make sure you order uppers and lowers to split the difference, keep everything centered.

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll get there, its the usual 2 steps forward and one back. Joe actually sent me an email pricing out shim kits already.
Lord knows what we'd do without that guy!

'57 Merc Refresh 09 Feb 2020 01:01 #101967

Moe make sure you order uppers and lowers to split the difference, keep everything centered.

Good luck!

'57 Merc Refresh 09 Feb 2020 00:09 #101966

• Moe
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
Crankshaft is dropped in, took quite a bit of fiddling around but it all worked out in the end. Pics to follow.
Checked crankshaft endplay and it looks like I'll need some shims. Some dingle nuts moron put two different thickness shims
in and its right on the upper end of the .008 -.012 end play. No point in fudging things now. Just need to find a shim kit . . . .

'57 Merc Refresh 05 Feb 2020 18:09 #101898

• Moe
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
  • Cabin Boy/Girl

HawkEyes wrote: I used my fingers on my Merc 400 to get the pistons in. The tips of my fingers hurt for a while after.

Crank is all assembled . . .

I number and bag everything in zip locks as I'm not that organized.

One thing I found is, its much easier to install the pistons on the rods first, then assemble the rods to the crank. It was a lot easier to line up the wrist pin spacers and install the clips without having it attached to the rest of the rotating assembly.

And don't forget to line up the dots on the rod caps, I'm not sure what would happen if you didn't but I'm guessing it would make some really bad sounds and then something inside the engine would want to come out.

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkEyes

'57 Merc Refresh 04 Feb 2020 23:44 #101875

I used my fingers on my Merc 400 to get the pistons in. The tips of my fingers hurt for a while after.

Last edit: by HawkEyes.

'57 Merc Refresh 04 Feb 2020 17:24 #101869

• Moe
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
Made sure my rings don't bind in the lands.

3/8" socket works perfect as a drift to get the wrist pin in. Careful with those wrist pin clips too, they like to go zinging off into nowhere land if you don't keep a good grip on them when reinstalling. Luckily it bounced off my tool box and landed on the concrete instead of disappearing into the void of my shop.

And that's all for now, just need to repeat 3 more times. I figure I'll give all the bearings a good drink of motor oil from my trusty oil can prior to dropping the crank. As for the rings, I have a trick up my sleeve that doesn't involve mercury specific ring compressors.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bayoumerc

'57 Merc Refresh 04 Feb 2020 17:16 #101868

• Moe
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
  • Cabin Boy/Girl
making a little progress, mains installed, ready for the fiddly work with those fun little needle bearings.

touch of axle grease to glue things in place

This was the best way I could think of to hold the crank while torqueing the rod bolts.
Found a nut with the same thread as the crank, worked pretty slick.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkEyes

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2065
  • Latest Member:Drobinson
  • Total Posts:91.8k
  • Total Topics:6855
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:2
  • Yesterday Open:1
  • Today Answer:10
  • Yesterday Answer:16

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
jabe 5636
VinTin 4889
sgower 4700
Eagle127 4657
Locomotion 4076
Boatboy 3882
BigBadJon 3529
unclbuz 2968
Carol 2939
Bikecop1 2616

Contact

How to get ahold of Us

www.feathercraft.net Command Central
52457 Robins Drive
New Baltimore, Michigan 48047

Webmaster

Steve Gower
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

810-614-0734

Support

for support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Events

Event Coordinator

Register

property of:

Feather Craft Technologies - Copyright © 2016 www.feathercraft.net