Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Strange Days!!! 20 Jun 2017 13:41 #75022

Ray,
How heavy is that motor and how much HP does it put out?

The powerhead is originally 50HP, on the weight, I will weigh it before installing.
The 35HP OMC that the midsection and lower unit is built from is 115#, the 50HP OMC is 185#, I'm guessing less than 140# for the hybrid. The Flyer is quite a bit beefier than the Firefly, longer, wider, and more freeboard.
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Locomotion.

Strange Days!!! 20 Jun 2017 03:25 #75001

Ray,
How heavy is that motor and how much HP does it put out?
John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

Strange Days!!! 20 Jun 2017 03:18 #74999

Completed powerhead with all accessories installed.

Going to Arrowhead tomorrow till the weekend, it's getting hung on the Flyer as soon as I get back :biggrin:
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jabe

Strange Days!!! 20 Jun 2017 03:14 #74998

It's more perseverance than anything B)
Dropping the powerhead on the rebuilt midsection.

The midsection also got tuned up, all new bushings and some extra suspension dampening

Those are trapped into what once was just travel limits, the 35 powerhead wiggled too much, and I'm guessing this one will want too wiggle too.

It got a similar dampener where the lower pivot attaches to the midsection.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jabe

Last edit: by Locomotion.

Strange Days!!! 13 Jun 2017 20:28 #74768

You are certainly a talented man. Almost everything is above my realm of expertise but it's fun to watch.

Strange Days!!! 29 May 2017 23:03 #74271

• jbcurt00
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Helmsman/Woman
  • Actual FC Clipper owner :)
  • Thank you received: 376
Awe inspiring work

Strange Days!!! 29 May 2017 22:54 #74270

thank-you ray........much is over my head, but your sharing opens the eyes to the detail invovled.........your the man who can do this for sure, along with a little help from our friends........sounds like a song.......... :shades:

Strange Days!!! 29 May 2017 22:40 #74269

Continuing, that water passage feeds a water jet that sprays water into a channel on the midsection side of the adaptor plate along the exhaust tuner which I hope allows that spray to end up on the tuner, this is the slot alongside the tuner. You can see the drilled hole in the side of the plate that creates the port for the water feed, the drilled port hole is then plugged, there are three of this type of port in the adaptor plate;

The rest of the water exiting the motor is routed into a cavity in the midsection (that’s what the pipe from the head down to the midsection carries). That cavity also receives part of exhaust pressure which blows part of the water and part of the exhaust (which is cooler now) back into the midsection adding more cooling to the tuner and the midsection, I think this will all combined control the heat on the tuner and midsection housing.
The water supply tube guide is also modified from my first shot after working with Mayor Nick on one of his projects where we found the original style water tube guide, which is plastic, melted down completely. I have shortened the guide to get it out of the direct blast of the exhaust and made the part that was plastic from aluminum;

Charlie had also spotted that I did not have anything in place to prevent the exhaust from blowing past the alinement bushing I had fabricated so the ID & OD both got an O-ring added;

All assembled and ready to mount on the midsection;

The following user(s) said Thank You: alanbiltz, VinTin, boatcrazy, jabe

Strange Days!!! 29 May 2017 22:35 #74268

A little more progress to report. It’s great to be at the stage where things are going together as a final assembly. The motor is built, the accessories such as ignition, starter, carbs, etc. will go on after the power head is bolted to the midsection;

Having friends with a good eye for mechanics to look this thing over occasionally really helps, a few suggestions have helped to trigger looking deeper at certain aspects. Charlie (Boatcrazy) was over early in the build and asked about the exhaust tuner thickness. I was planning on 1/8” 5052 and Charlie questioned if that would stand the heat. That sent me down a trail that resulted in quite a bit of effort going into controlling the exhaust heat. The factory put a good bit of effort into that same issue and I have copied what they did plus a little more. I ended up with 3/16” 5052 for the tuner;

The original 35 HP powerhead had a water jet from the feed side of the cooling system that shot water down onto a ledge in the midsection that would splash water onto the original exhaust tuner, I duplicated that feature here, what looks like a blind hole with another small hole at the bottom;

The 50HP powerhead has a water jet squirting water into the longer of the two exhaust ports just before the two ports became one, I left that feature and added a water passage, supplied by the exit side of the cooling system, that runs along the base of the exhaust tuner on the powerhead side of the adaptor plate;

More on next post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: alanbiltz, boatcrazy, jabe

Strange Days!!! 15 May 2017 02:05 #73784

I have made progress but not enough to meet my goal of having Frankie ready for Arrowhead, I just dropped the Flyer off with the 35 on it, I am going to get to try a few things on the Flyer with the existing 35 that will help with the new setup if it all works, photos after Arrowhead :biggrin:

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2380
  • Latest Member:Woodforge
  • Total Posts:101k
  • Total Topics:7373
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:1
  • Today Answer:9
  • Yesterday Answer:16