Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Strange Days!!! 08 Jan 2017 23:50 #69967

awesome ray...........almost think ya done this before... :biggrin: ..........
geez, i now feel my day was medeoker.........changing, coils, and tank testing a couple baby motors......... :cookie:

I haven't done an outboard powerhead transplant, but I have been doing this type of thing on everything from cars, drag bikes, tractor trailers, to giant CNC milling machines, it's been a way of making a living B)

I got the exhaust ports done today, this part was a little nerve racking, it's real easy to kill a part that has so much work in it already;

Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jabe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Strange Days!!! 07 Jan 2017 23:22 #69925

awesome ray...........almost think ya done this before... :biggrin: ..........
geez, i now feel my day was medeoker.........changing, coils, and tank testing a couple baby motors......... :cookie:

Last edit: by jabe.

Strange Days!!! 07 Jan 2017 21:49 #69922

So this next step is just drill and countersink the bolt holes that attach the adaptor plate to the transplanted powerhead, the first shot shows the plate with the same bushing used to align the plate to the lower unit/midsection, the ID of it fits over the machined area of the lower crank bearing retainer as shown in the second photo;

Here's the plate bolted to the powerhead;

And here's the powerhead bolted to the midsection;

Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

The following user(s) said Thank You: jabe

Last edit: by Locomotion.

Strange Days!!! 07 Jan 2017 03:11 #69899

To put it mildly..... I'm impressed!! I'll be watching this thread closely to track your progress. Best of luck!
"friends to the end."- Russ Cleaton

Strange Days!!! 07 Jan 2017 02:55 #69894

sounds good, but..........k, if i smoke one more ole milwaukie it will make sense...........ray only you.........go man, love it .......if any one could do this its you............... :arrr:

Strange Days!!! 07 Jan 2017 02:53 #69893

Great thread!

Just getting used to the lay of this land.

Strange Days!!! 07 Jan 2017 02:49 #69892

I just have to say...... it all makes solid, perfect sense now.

Strange Days!!! 07 Jan 2017 02:45 #69889

Everything will be located off this hollow bushing which fits into a boss on the lower unit;

the original powerhead had a crank bearing cup that fit where the bushing is in this photo;

this bushing keeps the center of the crankshaft and the driveshaft in line, the center of the bushing goes over a bearing retainer on the transplanted powerhead for the next step but first the adaptor plated is bored out to fit the bushing and the plate is held in place by it to mark the hole locations with transfer punches;

as usual one of the holes will interfere with a feature on the powerhead, here's the bottom side with three bolts in but one hole open where the interference is;

to fix this problem I have made a rivet to plug the offending hole and have made a plate to extend the surface to allow for room for the new hole;

everything milled to match and ready for the next step of making mounting holes for the powerhead;

The following user(s) said Thank You: alanbiltz, VinTin, jabe

Strange Days!!! 07 Jan 2017 02:37 #69886

thanks for forgiving....i know not the boundries..........i still will wait in wonder your tranformation........as a kindergartian i watch in wonder............

Strange Days!!! 07 Jan 2017 02:31 #69883

yes gory details.........we need gory.......sorry i mean details........one day master, someone will snatch the pebble from the hand.......and smile with you.....you mechanical dog you......... :biggrin:

I take no offense at being called a mechanical dog but here in East Tennessee (as opposed to regular Tennessee which is not East Tennessee) someone with my affliction would usually be called a Gearhead, OK you asked for it :biggrin:
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2380
  • Latest Member:Woodforge
  • Total Posts:101k
  • Total Topics:7373
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:1
  • Today Answer:9
  • Yesterday Answer:16