Skip to main content
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SERIAL NUMBER 25 Nov 2023 01:16 #127542

Are you going to run the vintage Merc on it? Nice looking motor.
Be aware the Aluminum sheeting has a grain structure that runs linear with the boat, if you scrub the boat in line with the grain it leaves a different finish than scrubbing across the grain and different if a circular motion is used.
The transom’s sheeting grain runs vertical.
“Keep thy shop and thy shop will keep thee”
- Poor Richard’s Almanack, 1737

The following user(s) said Thank You: cballer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Locomotion.

SERIAL NUMBER 25 Nov 2023 00:31 #127541

• Larry
  • Larry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 14
The picture with motor on is sanded to clean it up. I will probably leave it there. There are some light scratches that will show if I get it any shinier. I love the look of yours. Mine does not have a shine on it but the brillo finish is better looking to me.

SERIAL NUMBER 24 Nov 2023 23:45 #127540

The Gold Rockets look great but finding one with good anodizing is rare.
Are you planning on polishing?
I like the looks of brushed Aluminum, I stripped the very bad anodizing off mine, this is a Brillo pad finish.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

SERIAL NUMBER 24 Nov 2023 18:09 #127539

• Larry
First 2 pictures are day I brought it home. 3rd is fairly recent. I got stopped by chrome plater during COVID and finally got stuff back.
It had sit behind a house 2 blocks fom me with a bunch of dirt track cars for over 20 years. I drove by it thousands of times and never knew it was there. Owner moved and moved boat to new house and I seen it and bought it. He said he bought it new in Florida on his 14th birthday. He was 78 when I got it. He had title and original paperwork. I can't get the SN sticker to load but it is very clear. ROCKET RUNABOUT RRA 4 232 56 Max hp 30 Capacity 3

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cballer

SERIAL NUMBER 24 Nov 2023 17:04 #127538

• Larry
I have found 3 other RRA Rockets. All are non anodized so we "THINK" it means aluminum. Those serial numbers are real close to mine so I guess they made most in the same time frame. I will send pictures but mine says Rocket Runabout....hp rating 30....RRA 4 232 56...capacity 3......on tag under dash and stamped number on transom is same serial number. My side emblems say Feather Craft not Rocket. I agree SN means total boats, not particular model. I read on Feartercraft.net where max production in the summer was 40 per week and much less in winter or off season. A golden Rocket on Face Book was serial number RR 11 30 556. That fits what we think. Built Nov 55 as a 56 model. Mine is 202 higher number so 202 built in about 20 weeks which would roughly fit the production numbers in the history on Feathercraft.net. Article also said in early years vast majority of boats were cartoppers. I didn't say any of this earlier so I would not influence anyone's answers. Thank you very much for your input and information.    

SERIAL NUMBER 24 Nov 2023 13:05 #127537

If I have number of RRA 4 232 56 does that mean it is the 232nd Rocket built or 232nd Feather Craft of all models built?

Hi Larry,
The short answer is we don’t know, we have never found the key to the S/N sequence numbers, even though a number of people have tried to decipher it. We’re pretty sure the 4 at the beginning represents the month made, so is yours the 232nd boat that year, month, 232nd Rocket that year, that month? We think it’s the 232nd Rocket that calendar year but there have been boats that didn’t fit that assumption.
Yours is the first 56 Rocket I have seen that starts with RRA, all the ones registered on this site start with RR, no A.
Show us some photos of your Rocket. Mine is getting new upholstery soon, they are great little boats!

SERIAL NUMBER 24 Nov 2023 03:27 #127536

• Larry
If I have number of RRA 4 232 56 does that mean it is the 232nd Rocket built or 232nd Feather Craft of all models built?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2907
  • Latest Member:scoob_daddy
  • Total Posts:117k
  • Total Topics:7969
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:0