Skip to main content
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Vagabond I'm considering 10 Nov 2023 01:19 #127415

I hear you about the New York plate conumdrum! I've taken that gamble many times because of their setup. Once trailering a boat back to NY from west of Chicago. Another from Minnesota. And just a couple of weeks ago I brought a trailer back here from Maine (round trip in one day - 15 hours). Each time I left on the previous owner's plates but I know an awful lot of people bring a plate off another trailer like you're doing. Just don't break any laws driving!

I am concerned for you with that trailer. All of the above posts have really good advice. Like VinTin said, really make an attempt to grease the bearings. Check for hot hubs at stops. And like Ray said, drive slow!!! I wouldn't go above 55 with that trailer and I would start slower than that and work my way up as you feel more confident in it. Even at that, check both sideview mirrors and watch those tires for trouble. Once I was trailering my big boat in Canada on that awful 401 highway and I could see the tires didn't look quite right - a slight wobble in the sidewall. Sure enough I experienced a blowout that took out a trailer fender and it was not an experience I ever want to repeat.

Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brunswickian, cballer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Vagabond I'm considering 09 Nov 2023 21:45 #127410

I stuffed a 15 foot boat and a trailer in the back of a 16 foot rental truck, just in-case info as an escape plan.

1952 Deluxe Runabout 1963 Gale 40hp
1959 Deluxe Clipper 1973 Merc 500 50hp
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, Brunswickian, cballer

A Vagabond I'm considering 09 Nov 2023 17:32 #127406

• scoot
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • Thank you received: 1139
Adding cushion between boat and bunks is a good idea also. Highways and highway speeds/vibration/bumps are unforgiving on an aluminum boat. I have noticed over several trips from MA. To TENN. and FLA. can take its toll rivets and structural parts. Go easy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brunswickian

A Vagabond I'm considering 09 Nov 2023 14:49 #127405

All very good advice. Take it slow.
Best wishes!

A Vagabond I'm considering 09 Nov 2023 14:30 #127404

I'd strongly consider checking and greasing the wheel bearings and also carrying the motor in the tow vehicle. Removing the motor reduces stress on both the boat hull and the trailer. 

Also if you can I'd try to assure that the lumber making up the bunks has not rotted leaving the boat hull resting on metal parts of the bunk mounting assemblies.
"It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future."
Yogi Berra
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brunswickian, cballer

Last edit: by VinTin.

A Vagabond I'm considering 09 Nov 2023 13:55 #127403

Northen Tool also stocks wheels and hubs and bearings.
Make sure the tires are at least 45 psi and drive slow, 55 seems like you're never getting anywhere but its faster that sitting on the side of the road!
“Keep thy shop and thy shop will keep thee”
- Poor Richard’s Almanack, 1737

A Vagabond I'm considering 09 Nov 2023 13:48 #127402

• jr
  • Helmsman
  • Helmsman
  • Thank you received: 1237
I hope he went through the bearings for you and  you have good tires. Check those hubs at every stop. Harbor Freight and auto parts stores have those magnetic light kits.Duct tape them on too, they can fall off. I don't think you will get pulled if you have lights and safety chains.Good luck.
1957 Clipper, 1950 Experimental Flyer, 1956 Golden Rocket, 1955 Vagabond, past boats: 54 Vagabond, 55 Vagabond, 57 Vagabond, 50 FC Flyer, 46 FC Runabout, 57 FC Rocket, 57 Jetstreak, 1957 Crestliner Voyager Hardtop 18, 1959 Crestliner Jetstreak 15

A Vagabond I'm considering 09 Nov 2023 13:07 #127401

Most states give you 30 days to register a vehicle/trailer/boat as dated on the bill of sale.  As long as you have that you should be good.  

A Vagabond I'm considering 09 Nov 2023 12:19 #127400

That would be expensive. I also need to be home tonight and I don't have time to arrange for one. I'm going to take my chances. I'm not happy with the trailer and didn't see a photo until I made the arduous trip. I think that there are light kits that you can buy and attach to a boat or trailer but that isn't feasible at the present time. Requirements in Tennessee are lax. You don't even have to register a trailer.

Last edit: by Brunswickian.

A Vagabond I'm considering 09 Nov 2023 12:11 #127399

Maybe you could rent a big trailer one way, and put the whole thing on it.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2920
  • Latest Member:hlampley
  • Total Posts:118k
  • Total Topics:7988
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:4
  • Yesterday Answer:7