Skip to main content
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Vagabond I'm considering 12 Nov 2023 13:15 #127452

Thanks. It meant spending a lot of time behind the wheel but I'm happy with the boat. Wish I had a warm place to work on it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Vagabond I'm considering 12 Nov 2023 04:26 #127451

Glad to hear you got the Vagabond and made it home OK!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brunswickian

A Vagabond I'm considering 11 Nov 2023 01:01 #127435

They are smooth riding compared to a 12-foot Jet Streak, Also, I'm not a large person but it feels cramped even for me. You are wedged in.

A Vagabond I'm considering 10 Nov 2023 22:55 #127430

Vagabonds are not the smoothest riding boats. Have you ever ridden in one with a slight chop on the lake?
John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

A Vagabond I'm considering 10 Nov 2023 15:38 #127424

I've got a Ranger and a 12 foot Jet Streak sitting alongside the newly acquired '55 Vag.   The Jet Streak is a beautiful little boat but it is only good in ideal conditions. My wife hates it so I've decided to sell it. I'm planning to install the 30 hp. Tohatsu that is currently on the Ranger on the Vagabond and selling the Ranger without a motor. It's a very nice boat but I prefer Vagbonds. I bought it for the motor, a four-stroke with only 84 metered hours on it. Used low hours four strokes are very hard to find and new ones are 6k. I hate the way they look but I can't in good conscience run a two-stroke on a pristine Adirondack lake. A Vermont study concluded that just the Vermont registered two strokes alone were spewing three-quarters of a million gallons of gas and oil into its lakes each year. A study done in the 90's concluded that two strokes were dumping the equivalent of 15 Exxon Valdez leaks into US waters yearly. There is a reason the EPA imposed standards that forced manufacturers other than the now defunct Evinrude to go to four strokes.

My wife's issue with the boats isn't their cost, it's their number. She thinks having more than one is ridiculous. Rather than raise her ire with multiple FC's,  I'm going to invest heavily in making the 55 beautiful. I doubt there are many '55 hulls in as good condition as this one. I should take advantage of that by polishing it to a mirror like finish. I have the equipment for the job but might have it done professionally instead because I'm lazy and worried I will screw it up. It would look stunning with a mirror-like finish. In addition to polishing, I will refinish the floors, add a windshield and provide it with a restored vintage trailer. 
  As a practical matter, my wife is right. I'm still working. I don't have time to make use of multiple Feathercrafts, especially since this summer I bought a '16 trimaran sailboat. (Windrinder 16. Google it and watch some videos. They are cool) The boating season in Upstate New York is a lot shorter than Tennessee's. She isn't going to go for the "Honey, wouldn't it be fun to have your very own Feathercraft." I think she will like, "How would you like to go for a cruise in the beautiful and comfortable  '55 Feathercraft instead of the jarringly rough riding 12' Jet Steak." I want my wife to enjoy boating. With the right boat in the right places, I think that she will.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jr, Boatboy, WetWillie, VinTin

A Vagabond I'm considering 10 Nov 2023 14:43 #127423

Glad and thankful that you made it home safely and hopefully trouble free. I'll be curious to see how long it takes before you start looking for your next FC. Chances are that it won't be very long. Speaking of marital harmony,  you might want to prepare your wife for the possibility there'll be another FC in your future. If I'm not mistaken, some members have gone with the "Honey, wouldn't it be cool if you had your own FC too?" route.  lol
Keep us posted on your progress with this one. 
Keep on smiling through the rain

A Vagabond I'm considering 10 Nov 2023 12:17 #127420

Thanks, John.  Seeing a photo of a beautifully polished version of this model Vagabond is what first captured my interest in these boats. Before that, I never had any interest in power boats. I spend years in kayaks curing out assholes driving them who found it amusing to buzz me in them. I just love the shape of these boats.  I like mid-century modern furniture as well. There is something compelling about the designs of that era. I would love to own a car of the same vintage to go with it but that would result in marital conflict. 

This is all challenging for me because it would be an understatement to say that I'm not mechanically inclined. If I hadn't come across this site, I would not own a boat with a motor.

One thing I have found is that the people I have encountered in this arena have all been very nice.

A Vagabond I'm considering 10 Nov 2023 10:29 #127418

• jr
  • Helmsman
  • Helmsman
  • Thank you received: 1237
Sounds like you made it home and have a nice  Vagabond. That's great David.
1957 Clipper, 1950 Experimental Flyer, 1956 Golden Rocket, 1955 Vagabond, past boats: 54 Vagabond, 55 Vagabond, 57 Vagabond, 50 FC Flyer, 46 FC Runabout, 57 FC Rocket, 57 Jetstreak, 1957 Crestliner Voyager Hardtop 18, 1959 Crestliner Jetstreak 15

A Vagabond I'm considering 10 Nov 2023 07:26 #127417

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I told the seller that before I could consider buying it, I'd need it to have good tires and bearings and the lights functioning.  because of the long trip home.. He said the tires were new and he agreed to replace the bearing and fix the lights.. He is a very nice guy.

The trailer is ramshackle but the bend that concerned me was not from damage. That is how it is designed. It looked to me like the light was bowing outwards. That is not the case.  I'm very happy with the boat. The seller said he doesn't think it has spent much time in the water. He found it abandoned in a warehouse. He thinks it was there for a long time. It doesn't have any dents and it isn't easy to find any scratches. I think it will look great when it's polished. The quality and condition of the upholstery are very good. It is substantial. The floor is made from thick reclaimed hardwood. It doesn't look bad now but  can be improved by refinishing.  I think it is going. a very nice boat. It was worth the grueling drive. I feel lucky to have stumbled across it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boatboy, scoot, VinTin, The Art Doctor, cballer

A Vagabond I'm considering 10 Nov 2023 03:00 #127416

• cballer
  • Powder Monkey
  • Powder Monkey
  • 1957 Ranger IV, 1956 Evinrude 30hp Lark
  • Thank you received: 567
We have one plate for 5 families, 10 trailers 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

if trailers safe and fully functional go for it! Don’t give them a reason to pull u over.. 

that’s me sweet boat btw
1957 Ranger IV, 1956 Evinrude 30HP
Love the Feathercraft!!

Organization is the key to success.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2920
  • Latest Member:hlampley
  • Total Posts:118k
  • Total Topics:7988
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:2
  • Yesterday Answer:7