Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Transom 24 Feb 2022 23:04 #118042

I have a 3/4" aluminum "board" across the inside of my transom, with a 3/4 wood board over it on the inside.  And then I believe 1" thick wood on the outside transom.  Plus the thin sheet of aluminum.  So that's a total thickness of about 2 1/2 inches that I'm using with my Suzuki motor.  And as Locomotion says, the clamps of my motor would not fit over all that wood.  (But your Johnson clamps may allow thicker than my Suzuki.)

So what I did (60% by design and 40% by hindsight) was recess a couple of holes for the clamp pads into my inner wood, which probably reduces the total thickness to about 2 1/4".  This means I cannot remove the motor without unbolting and removing that inner wooden plank with the motor.  I.e., when I unscrew my motor clamps fully, the clamp pads are still trapped in those recesses.  I chose to do it this way after seeing someone's motor jump off the transom when their steering cable broke, and being warned by a few of the guys to check my motor clamps everytime I put the boat in the water.  I'm not sure what would be better: to have the motor jump off the boat when the motor kicks over to the side, or to have it remain attached.  Hopefully I'll never find out!

Here's a picture showing V1 of the wood on my transom, with the clamp recesses.  I'm now on V2, because that fiberglass over plywood didn't hold up very well.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, MercuryMarc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Transom 24 Feb 2022 22:30 #118041

You can go up to what ever the clamps will fit over, I have run a 3/4” thick inside with a 2” outside board with good results.
The thicker outside board puts the prop deeper as the engine is moved further back and down as the result of the angle of the transom, which is usually about 14 degrees.
Never doubt the wisdom of dumb question’s.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

Transom 24 Feb 2022 21:48 #118040

• Ormand
  • Ormand's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 22
What is the maximum thickness for the transom? I would like to go to almost 21/2 inches for my 40 hp Johnson. Is that too thick.
Ormand Poss

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2718
  • Latest Member:Canuckcraft
  • Total Posts:114k
  • Total Topics:7818
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:6