Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Larry's 59 Deluxe Clipper build 05 Mar 2021 02:42 #110174

I would like to see the front of your boat supported by something softer than a brick.
John

1958 Vagabond II & 35 HP Evinrude
1955 PlastiCraft 12 Ft. Delux Runabout
1957 Clipper & twin 35 HP Evinrudes
1957 AlumaCraft 14 Ft. FD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Larry's 59 Deluxe Clipper build 05 Mar 2021 01:43 #110172

Well good thing the PO didn't do a good job prepping for paint.

What's your plan, strip the paint and go?

I see you you have a friendly helper too! That makes projects like these fun.
Click the link below for information on vintage Mercury restorations

Mercury Restorations

1957 Clipper / 1969 Merc 1000
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go

Larry's 59 Deluxe Clipper build 05 Mar 2021 00:08 #110171

The boat had been painted in the reverse colors of the original anodizing, the same pattern as a contemporary blue Deluxe Clipper would be not a gold model such as this one. The paint was peeling off in sheets for many years out sitting in the southern sun. The areas that pealed first show more faded anodizing. The PO did a bit of stripping using paint stripper. You can tell it affected the anodizing because I did all my stripping using razor blades followed by a wipe of acetone to get off remaining lacquer primer. Some of the paint was really well stuck and there was an additional layer of gold beneath the primer in some areas. It was very hard to get off, I wonder if it was factory applied to touch-up uneven anodizing.

It literally would come off in strips using the razor blades. I went through a lot to always have a sharp blade. You have to be careful and keep a low angle but as anodizing is harder than steel if you do it right you wont scratch it. You can tell a big difference from what I did to what the stripper did to it.

You can see it only ever had one set of registration numbers, three numerical digits in fact. Im not sure when they switched to four but the sate of Georgia would not allow me to continue to use it they made me take a 4 digit number.
1952 Deluxe Runabout 1956 Johnson 30hp 1959 Deluxe Clipper 1973 Merc 500 50hp

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, MercuryMarc

Larry's 59 Deluxe Clipper build 01 Mar 2021 02:55 #110078

Here was the original ad as placed in the Vintage Aluminum Boats section on Facebook:

The seller Dan Painter was a neat guy, kinda looks a little like The Big Lebowski in person. He is the preverbal starving artist, and needed to sell to pay the rent and buy a pizza (his words). Story was he was given the boat by a family friend after commenting that he thought it was beautiful. Never had two dimes to rub together and didn't do a thing with it for the ten years he owned it but look at its lines and dream. He said it was a one family boat from a South Georgia river that I now cannot remember the name of. I didn't argue the asking price one dime and paid the man.

This video was from a few years prior. Most of the Tiny Town had been torn out and he was working on something different. I wish him well.

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Locomotion

Larry's 59 Deluxe Clipper build 28 Feb 2021 15:17 #110048

Finz, ours are real family only off by a scant few serial numbers. Probably created on the shop floor right next to each other. I can see the headlines : Sepirated at Birth, Reunited at Arrowhead.[/quote]

hopefully sooner than later, i spoke to my finz yesterday and he is really excited to reunite with his long lost brother and compare life stories !
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Art Doctor

Larry's 59 Deluxe Clipper build 28 Feb 2021 12:38 #110047

rivets and finz wrote: looking forward to when the clippers get to have a family reunion!

Finz, ours are real family only off by a scant few serial numbers. Probably created on the shop floor right next to each other. I can see the headlines : Sepirated at Birth, Reunited at Arrowhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MercuryMarc, rivets and finz

Larry's 59 Deluxe Clipper build 28 Feb 2021 03:22 #110046

Dang Larry it's about time! I was wondering when you were going to start a thread.... Can't wait to see the progress.

Differences is the name of the game between these boats that's for sure. I noticed your boat has a port and starboard control box Mount. Mine only has one. The Hawk had two. I turned the extra one into a mini electronic station.

No thills on mine, it will be set up to run with throw cushions for the behinds.

Good luck, have fun
Click the link below for information on vintage Mercury restorations

Mercury Restorations

1957 Clipper / 1969 Merc 1000
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Art Doctor

Larry's 59 Deluxe Clipper build 27 Feb 2021 22:25 #110045

The Art Doctor wrote: This is way over due. I've had the boat about 10 months now and have made decent but not particularly strong progress. My DR was completely finished in that amount of time. Having a functional craft lowers the immediacy of the need to complete but fall 2020 Arrowhead really showed that while four can cruise in a DR it is far from ideal.

Part of the push to start a build thread now thus is motivational and the other is not wanting to clog up other threads with topic drift and as a place to consolidate images. Also nothing wrong with a little competition between friends with several Clippers being built at once.

Much more to follow.

looks like we are going to have a race to the lake so to speak with all the clippers under the knife right now
looking forward to when the clippers get to have a family reunion!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MercuryMarc, The Art Doctor

Larry's 59 Deluxe Clipper build 27 Feb 2021 16:26 #110044

I like this boat, built like a tank.
These are so different from the early Feather Crafts which were obviously built with light weight being one of the leading concerns.
Durability sure became a prominent design driver with these boats, and all the different bottom designs we are seeing points to performance experimentation.
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

Last edit: by Locomotion.

Larry's 59 Deluxe Clipper build 27 Feb 2021 14:44 #110042

This is way over due. I've had the boat about 10 months now and have made decent but not particularly strong progress. My DR was completely finished in that amount of time. Having a functional craft lowers the immediacy of the need to complete but fall 2020 Arrowhead really showed that while four can cruise in a DR it is far from ideal.

Part of the push to start a build thread now thus is motivational and the other is not wanting to clog up other threads with topic drift and as a place to consolidate images. Also nothing wrong with a little competition between friends with several Clippers being built at once.

It will be a bit of a photo dump at first. Most have see bits and pieces of this story in various other threads so I'll keep it brief until we are up to date.

April 2020 the boat was placed on Facebook Marketplace and I was alerted to it in the CL thread on here. I wasn't the first to contact him but he is an artist and being that I restore art we bonded over messenger quickly and he pulled the ad and held it for a few days till I could go and get it.

22 hours round trip to Florida.
The previous owner on left and a neighbor of his called Tiny who single handedly lifted a 450 pound boat up and shoved in a 16 foot box truck after we got it stuck sliding up the ramp.

Much more to follow.

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Locomotion, scoot, VinTin, MercuryMarc

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2356
  • Latest Member:Ranger3rob
  • Total Posts:100k
  • Total Topics:7343
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:3