Last time out workin on the El Dorado I saw some rusted fasteners on the bottom of the hull.
Today I ripped out the interior "flooring" which was more like mulch and found the culprit.
They had replaced some rivets with steel bolts. Grr...
I'll get those out and put in some regular rivets.
That was all part of the cleaning... This boat is an 18 foot squirrel's nest. I scooped out many handfuls of nuts and shredded styrofoam.
After a few hours of unbolting and Mulch scooping, this is where we are. I also found a good sized steel fuel tank under the passenger seat. And lucky for me it still has gas in it. Vintage 2004 gasoline.
I agree. They kept it for sentimental reasons beyond when they were going to use it.
This boat was last registered in 2004. It had been in one family. Grandpa bought it new and apparently it was the family fun boat for many years. Then when the kids got older and bought their own ski boats it became the fish slaughtering machine. He took it all over including several trips to Florida.
With all that, the hull looks straight and no major dents. I did crawl under it and did see a few rusty fasteners in one spot. Those have piqued my interest and when the floor comes out I intent to get to the bottom of that.
I also got a copy of the 1960 Lone Star Catalog and price sheet with it.
And one last thanks to Dave Innis who hooked me up with the owner and is graciously letting the boat bunk down with his fleet. I wouldn't want it to get all lonely this winter!
I've had decent luck with stopping cracks in acrylic by wicking acetone into the crack. It melts the plastic and rebonds it. For longer cracks, I drill a very small hole at the end of each crack to offer a stress relief.