Topic

Feathercraft/Paragon Meteor pics. 04 Nov 2020 14:27 #108511

If you do weld and plan on finishing out the weld I would TIG. I had three holes in my hull one was about three inches of a tear that I tried to MIG but every time I sanded down to finish, the weld was compromised (pitting) at the start of the weld where I needed it perfect but as the weld was built up (the last part) it sanded fine with no holes or pits in the weld. I don't have a TIG yet so I had to load it up and take it to have it TIG welded after trying to MIG three times with the same result. Here is a thread documenting my efforts about 6 years ago. Good Luck .. www.feathercraft.net/forum/8-restoration...3-55?start=250#29148
1955 Vagabond
1956 30hp Evinrude Lark
1973 Glastron GT 150
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Feathercraft/Paragon Meteor pics. 30 Oct 2020 21:56 #108446

That would be sweet.
There are holes on the engine deck for the second windshield. The original upholstery was in tatters but matches the old ad, white piping/welt, red vinyl, white tuft buttons.
bob

Feathercraft/Paragon Meteor pics. 30 Oct 2020 20:03 #108444

The serial number on this ends in 48, could this be that one in the picture?

The car in the pic is a 46-48 GM 7 window 4 door sedan. Probably a Chevrolet Fleet Master as they had the gas filler in the right rear fender.
1952 Deluxe Runabout 1956 Johnson 30hp 1959 Deluxe Clipper 1973 Merc 500 50hp

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by The Art Doctor. Reason: add pic

Feathercraft/Paragon Meteor pics. 30 Oct 2020 16:08 #108441

These must be from the time in development, they are dated 1948.

Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

This message has attachments images.

Feathercraft/Paragon Meteor pics. 30 Oct 2020 16:03 #108440

Great, thanks for the pics, Ill check out the restoration page!!
Thanks so much.

bob

Feathercraft/Paragon Meteor pics. 30 Oct 2020 15:59 #108438

My DR came to me with a patched gash, which is probably a good illustration of how NOT to do the repair. This cut was probably not as bad as yours. I must admit that I have not yet done anything to fix this. The patch is functional, if not pretty, and stopped the cut from getting worse. I've just been enjoying riding around in the boat for the 5 years I've had it.

Locomotion has provided a nice illustration photo sequence in a restoration thread on this site, showing how to do a proper flush patch. One of these days (years), I hope to do that on mine.

You can see the cut on my boat beside the rear seat in this first photo:

A previous owner pop-riveted a patch on the inside, to stop the tear from spreading:

And then filled the outside with something (JB Weld?) to try to smooth it over, which didn't work very well:

This message has attachments images.

Feathercraft/Paragon Meteor pics. 30 Oct 2020 14:12 #108436

The boat has ceiling panels so the patches would be hidden. This might be a good solution on the transom as it has the original serial number and id like to keep it if I can. Many thanks!
Bob

Feathercraft/Paragon Meteor pics. 30 Oct 2020 14:05 #108435

Great info. Once I get the engine out, and on the rotisserie, ill get some better shots of the bottom. And yes, divide and conquer. Ive been warned about welding. Ive got a guy who repairs a lot of my outboard castings and has a laser welder for thin aluminum. I might quiz them on that technique and have them come to the shop and inspect the boat, maybe test some spots. I sure appreciate this info!

Feathercraft/Paragon Meteor pics. 30 Oct 2020 13:38 #108434

The weld don’t weld subject is a bit subjective but what I have experienced is a number of weld failures in service, I have never experienced a flush patch failure.
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

Last edit: Post by Locomotion.

Feathercraft/Paragon Meteor pics. 30 Oct 2020 13:03 #108433

My DR had a lot of welding done on it by a previous owner. This included filling in a large hole in the rear dash from a helm. Most of the small bolt holes welds are gloppy on backside and ground smooth on front. The 3 inch helm hole has sheet aluminum backing it. You can tell a color difference between factory metal and repair work but its hard to see. My friend who was a 35 year welder at the GM plant said he would have backed them all, including the small bolt holes with small discs of aluminum. If the inside wont show, or you can live with the patch showing, backing it and having a quality welder do it is an option as well. Welding aluminum is tough I'm told, apparently cleanliness is key, extra clean metal to start with is essential.
1952 Deluxe Runabout 1956 Johnson 30hp 1959 Deluxe Clipper 1973 Merc 500 50hp
The following user(s) said Thank You: BobShapton

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2286
  • Latest Member:jpeter
  • Total Posts:98.4k
  • Total Topics:7257
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:4
  • Yesterday Answer:10