Topic

Prop shaft and Drive Shaft seals . . . silly question I am sure . . . 29 Oct 2020 04:14 #108378

gerg wrote: VERY much so & THANKS!

That is how I plan to install. I'll find something that seats into the cage around the seal to drive it in safely.

Glad to help.

1958 Vagabond, 1954 Vagabond, 1958 Rocket Runabout, 1958 Clipper, 1950 Fire Fly, 1953 Flyer, 1954 Deluxe Runabout, 1956 Alumacraft Cruiseabout, 1956 Alumacraft Merrie 16, 1958 Alumacraft Queen Merrie, 1956 Alumacraft Deep C, 1958 Alumacraft Deep C, 1951 Alumacraft Model R, 1956 Alumacraft FD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by VinTin.

Prop shaft and Drive Shaft seals . . . silly question I am sure . . . 29 Oct 2020 03:56 #108377

VERY much so & THANKS!

That is how I plan to install. I'll find something that seats into the cage around the seal to drive it in safely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

Prop shaft and Drive Shaft seals . . . silly question I am sure . . . 29 Oct 2020 02:57 #108375

1958 Vagabond, 1954 Vagabond, 1958 Rocket Runabout, 1958 Clipper, 1950 Fire Fly, 1953 Flyer, 1954 Deluxe Runabout, 1956 Alumacraft Cruiseabout, 1956 Alumacraft Merrie 16, 1958 Alumacraft Queen Merrie, 1956 Alumacraft Deep C, 1958 Alumacraft Deep C, 1951 Alumacraft Model R, 1956 Alumacraft FD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gerg

Prop shaft and Drive Shaft seals . . . silly question I am sure . . . 29 Oct 2020 02:39 #108371

Somewhat comical anecdote . . . . the Evinrude/Johnson manual says "install seal" in reference to both Hahah

I'm going with 'keep oil in' - lip towards the sealed unit . . . unless I hear otherwise here.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Prop shaft and Drive Shaft seals . . . silly question I am sure . . . 28 Oct 2020 20:12 #108363

I have seen that on later model lower unit. However, even the parts breakdown for this specific unit shows one seal on the prop shaft and one seal on the drive shaft. And that is all I had when I took it apart.

Prop shaft and Drive Shaft seals . . . silly question I am sure . . . 28 Oct 2020 19:21 #108361

should be one facing each way, one to keep oil in and the other to keep water out behind prop

Prop shaft and Drive Shaft seals . . . silly question I am sure . . . 28 Oct 2020 18:06 #108357

The manuals usually address the seal orientation in great detail.
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

Prop shaft and Drive Shaft seals . . . silly question I am sure . . . 28 Oct 2020 17:39 #108354

That is exactly how I see it Al.

Just kind of odd driving in a faceless seal.

Prop shaft and Drive Shaft seals . . . silly question I am sure . . . 28 Oct 2020 16:40 #108353

I'm curious how the "experts" respond, but in my opinion, the lip should be faced in vs out. My rationale being that as the oil expands you want it to remain in the gear case vs a little bit getting by and leaking out and some water entering as it cools and a vacuum is created. But, hey, that's my way of thinking.
Of course, I could be wrong. That'd be a 1st since the last time I thought I was wrong, it turned out that I was mistaken. ;)
"friends to the end."- Russ Cleaton
The following user(s) said Thank You: gerg

Prop shaft and Drive Shaft seals . . . silly question I am sure . . . 28 Oct 2020 15:13 #108352

So both seals I removed were IIRC metal sided on each side . . . not just on one face like the automotive type seals are that I am familiar with. I have seen videos that mention which 'face' or side to install outwards, but NONE reference which way the seal lip should face. Somehow I wound up with 2 new seals of each and they are all the same - unlike what I removed (same size, just slightly different cage / body design)

Common sense tells me I am trying to keep the oil in . . then I got to thinking maybe I am keeping the water out - with respect to which direction the seal lip faces. So which is it? LOL

Here is the difference I am talking about - and it sort of answers my question . . . unless old seal was installed wrong - remember I had water in the lower unit.

This is looking at the inside face of the prop shaft seal (from inside lower unit) as I removed it. The seal I removed is on top of the seal carrier, new seal next to it. Old seal lip is obviously aimed at the gear oil. Notice now it has a very wide sealing surface as opposed to the new one with a more common seal lip.

Also, looking at the second pic you can see how the seal I removed is 'caged' on both sides. Installing the new seal almost seems counter intuitive as (in almost all of my experiences) you drive a seal from the face . . . not what I would call the the backside.

Last edit: Post by gerg.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:2286
  • Latest Member:jpeter
  • Total Posts:98.4k
  • Total Topics:7257
  • Total Sections:9
  • Total Categories:24
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0