Topic

Opinions on Cheap tools vs expensive tools.. 10 Nov 2020 02:22 #108571

I know if the roles were reversed you wouldn't have let me go all that way without tools to fix my truck man that's what friends are for
Charlie
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, alanbiltz, jabe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Opinions on Cheap tools vs expensive tools.. 06 Nov 2020 14:29 #108532

My favorite tool this year was the tools I had to borrow at spring Arrowhead this year when we were going to a job Darlene had at a city called Burnt Store Marina in Florida and the spring get together just happened to be the same week and on the way we were heading to Florida for the job. We had some basic tools with us for the job and no old boat in tow, so 3/8 drive, screw drivers and carpentry/paint tools and on the way down about a hour out of Arrowhead resort the front unit bearing went out of our 2005 F150 and like everything new no warning just immediate drama. We managed to get to the resort without the wheel coming off at about nine p.m. and the next day we inquired about getting it fixed because I wanted to go boating with some friends not work on the SOB truck. Well everyone that works on vehicles professionally was two weeks out and as much as I like boating and camping that was not in the budget for time or money for the job in Florida that was going to take a month there. So with the help of all my Feather Craft family I was able to borrow a floor jack, 1/2 drive sockets, breaker bar, snap ring plyers and a torque wrench to set the bearing and wi-fi to look up the torque settings and a vehicle to borrow to go get the new bearing in Spring City. A special thanks to Charlie for lending me his new 1/2 drive set to take to Florida in case the other bearing went out going down or coming back home, thank goodness it didn't go out and we made it all the way home so we could change the other side at home base. So my favorite tool this year was the ones I didn't have, and to think about it that's the way all new tools are. Thank you my friends for getting the job done.
1955 Vagabond
1956 30hp Evinrude Lark
1973 Glastron GT 150
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, VinTin, boatcrazy, jabe

Opinions on Cheap tools vs expensive tools.. 04 Nov 2020 12:31 #108510

My favorite VICE is ice cream. My favorite VISE is a Wilton
“I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.” Gary Spence

Opinions on Cheap tools vs expensive tools.. 04 Nov 2020 01:53 #108503

I have two tools I use ALL the time that are bolted to my bench. My Arbor Press and my Bench Vice. These two tools are are not top quality at all, and I can't wait to replace them with a Wilton.

Over the weekend I was using my press and I started to see chunks of metal coming from the end of the press shaft... I could figure where the metal came from. Then I realized the magnet that holds attachments had crushed into bits and pieces..

For now they do the job, but high a quality press and vice will be on my Christmas list,

Dang nice vice Ray! I bet it spins with ease.
1958 Hawk II, with a 1959 Mark 78A Super Marathon Six hanging off the back.
Lake life is the best life
Jump in a boat and go

Opinions on Cheap tools vs expensive tools.. 04 Nov 2020 01:21 #108502

I inherited that one from my Father in law and I bet he got it from his dad, it replaced a 30 year old Craftsman vise that had some wear in the swivel clamp setup, this one will never have a problem there the way it’s made. I see these C Parker vises on eBay quite often, they are cheaper than a similar quality new vise but not cheap and shipping can be the killer there.
Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

Opinions on Cheap tools vs expensive tools.. 04 Nov 2020 01:00 #108500

Locomotion wrote: I cut my workbench down from 8' long to 6' long to create space in the garage and the extra large bench just got piled up anyway.
As I was reinstalling my vise it occurred to me another reason to buy the best tools you can afford, it is the most environmentally responsible choice as well. This vise is over 100 years old, think of how many poor quality vises have been made in the last 100 years that have now gone on to the trash pile or at best got recycled, and all the energy and wasted by-products that have been created and used up by remaking junk over and over.

dayum,that is one sweet vice

i need to borrow one of someone else's hand to count the number of supossedly decent vices i have destroyed in the last 30 years
i am looking to buy a decent one now
a vice is definitely one you need to be a high quality piece

Last edit: Post by rivets and finz.

Opinions on Cheap tools vs expensive tools.. 03 Nov 2020 16:08 #108488

I cut my workbench down from 8' long to 6' long to create space in the garage and the extra large bench just got piled up anyway.
As I was reinstalling my vise it occurred to me another reason to buy the best tools you can afford, it is the most environmentally responsible choice as well. This vise is over 100 years old, think of how many poor quality vises have been made in the last 100 years that have now gone on to the trash pile or at best got recycled, and all the energy and wasted by-products that have been created and used up by remaking junk over and over.

Proud Owner of 1956 Vagabond, 1950 Flyer, 1956 Rocket, Co-owner 1952 Flash, 10-1/2 less than VinTin

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, MercuryMarc

Last edit: Post by Locomotion.

Opinions on Cheap tools vs expensive tools.. 15 Oct 2020 14:45 #108098

Opinions on Cheap tools vs expensive tools.. 15 Oct 2020 14:40 #108097

There comes a time in your life when you own too many tools. Not because you bought too many,,because you retire and now you have Home tools and Work tools. It's funny,,but over 50 years I have seen some of the best mechanics I ever met with their tools in wooden boxes and I have seen the worst mechanics with tools in $25,000 Snap-On boxes..I believe in buying tools to suit your needs. I carry a small Snap-on box called my cockpit box. I put it together for all cockpit work . Small compact box with everything I would need 5/8 and below. I only buy Snap-on when I absolutely need to. Nobody makes better close tolerance tools then they do..The sockets are thin walled, the ratchets [1/4"] have fine strong teeth . Their speciality tools can't be beat. But for anything that just requires knuckle busting ,,,or what I call my train tools,,Big wrenches [over an inch] I buy what will do the job and no more. So there is a lot of Chinese and Craftsman tools mixed in. One day I was changing a leading edge slat actuator on a 727 and it's a sh#t job. Way up in the leading edge was a big cotter pin. None of my needle nose would touch it..Just so happens the Snap-On truck pulls over,,I run in. I want the best pair of long offset needle nose you have !!! $80 bucks later that pin was out in seconds..To this day they are my go to Needle nose,,because they are precise,,the tips stay in place no matter what..They simply are the BEST and sometimes the BEST is worth every penny.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BigBadJon, rivets and finz

Last edit: Post by Eagle127.

Opinions on Cheap tools vs expensive tools.. 15 Oct 2020 12:24 #108096

Proto tools have been around for decades, they are usually the industrial tool of choice in factories, not all polished up like Snap On or Mac, but pretty much the same quality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jmhyatt

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds